Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
pressure reducer question

When a P.R. fails does it allow free flow or does it constrict? It seems to me that mine have always shut down to a slight flow before beng replaced (i'm talking about the $15 models). I had a few of them hanging out cuz at the C.G. I worked at last year people had left a few on the h2o spigot & I grabed em while mowing the site. I picked 1 out of the herd to put on & man have I got water pressure like I have never had. I wonder if that was the reason someone let it. Also is it worth it to buy a pricier P.R. with the pressure dial? Do they fail often? It sems to me I use 2 cheap models a year. As always Thanks for Info. Dave.

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
It's worth going to one with a pressure gauge.. I set mine at 55#
Two years now no problems.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I agree. I have been using the "cheapy" pressure regulators (reducer?). When they failed for me, they allowed no water flow.

I decided the next time this current one fails, I will get one of the better ones. Wouldn't you know it, that this cheapie is lasting longer than the others by far!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Get an adjustable Watts with a gauge, they are rebuildable & will flow more water than the el cheapo's
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:22 AM   #5
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
get the adjustable for sure, much better and USE IT! I DID NOT have a regulator on, normal park psi is 60#, but one night I was awakened by the sound of water and a wet kitchen floor, the crimped line on the back of the convience center blew off. It was the supply line for the unit, WOW what a mess. I replaced both of the hoses with ss braided hoses and installed the regulator and set at 50#. I would advise ALL to check the white re-enforced hoses with crimp on plastic fittings on the backside of the center, a definite weak link for sure. We have been fulltimin for 2 1/2 years in the unit so it has had a lot of use.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:13 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
This past summer we had one of ours fail. It was one of the heavy duty brass jobs and we'd had it for about 3 years. When it failed we simply had NO water! We had another one at hand so installed it and all is well.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote