Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
salton1

M.O.C. #8342
Montana decals

We have a two year old Montana 2955RL. Our one year warranty of course was finished and the extended warranty we purchased did not cover decals. All the decals on one side of the unit cracked. Keystone supplied new decals but not the labor. We are quoted $1000. Now the decals on the other side so the unit are going.
An extra concern - how long will the new ones last.
Has anyone else had our experience.

salton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Do a search on the link above and you will find tons on "graphics"...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:43 AM   #3
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
my trailer was 2 years old and the sent me decals right-a-way. They did ask if I could install them. Not sure what they would have told me if I had said no.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtheo

my trailer was 2 years old and the sent me decals right-a-way. They did ask if I could install them. Not sure what they would have told me if I had said no.
I know what they would have said... "Well, good luck with that..."

I also had new graphics sent to me free and I do appreciate that. However, I have read a lot of these "graphic" threads over the past year. Unless I missed something somewhere, I have never heard a MOCer say that Keystone/Montana put one dime towards the install/labor.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
For what ever reason the peeling, shrinking, cracking decals on our rigs have been an issue for years. My 04 had the same problem my 07 is now having. Even the decals Burlington Graphics supplied for my TV are beginning to peel. But we are not alone. At our winter park in Florida a close friend with a Cedar Creek and an Open Roads owner have peeling decals on their 06 and 07 rigs. I have seen and talked to owners of other SOBs and they have the same complaints. After all these years of experience you would think the decal makers could have come up with a better product by now.
As far as warranty, even if we had a 2 year warranty it wouldn't have helped in 90% of the cases.
Extended warranties never do seem to cover much of anything. Years ago I had a Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer series with a full extended paint warranty. When the tailgate started with the than typical bottom edge rusting they did stand behind the rusting and fixed and repainted the gate BUT they would not cover the decal pin stripping that had to be removed. When I questioned this BS I was told the decal was not "painted" on and therefore it was not covered. And YES the decal was factory installed. Of course the Ford dealer, that sold me the extended warranty, could only say "It's out of our hands".
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have mentioned this before and will again. www.dontdriveugly.com will custom make a heavier set of decals for any RV or truck. That's where I got mine for my truck. After hearing all the griping about Burlington graphics, I am still inclined to purchase mine elsewhere. I know Burlington will replace them for free, but what happens in another two-three years??? As the old saying goes: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"! I am having good luck with mine so far and will look into painted graphics IF mine start to go anytime soon. BTW, I have no connection to the folks at Don't drive Ugly, just completely satisfied with their work.....Store this in the "For what it's worth department"..
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Phil,
So do I have your story straight...... Your decals on your rig are from Burlington and they are doing great but you wouldn't replace them with graphics from Burlington. Is that about right?

If so that is somewhat confusing. But I think I understand what you are saying.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dennis, the operative term is "SO FAR". It seems they start the peeling process some time after the second year and in some cases before. I think the decals should last a lot longer than that. That is my aversion to going with Burlington again. If I get 6-7 years out of them I may decide to do them again, who knows. "Don't Drive Ugly" is just another source for those that don't want the same thing put back on. They also do custom decals for trucks, trailers, businesses, or any other application. They are a father - son business and I just like supporting the smaller guy, especially one that does quality work.. Again, for what it's worth!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Phil, on my next site update I will be adding RV Stripes and Graphics to the links page. They, along with Burlington, will have their own "Graphics" category and not be mixed in with the Misc links,
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our graphics on our 063400 are not peeling or shrinking. They are however beat up in places but that is due to bug hits in the nose and some tree hits along the sides. It may be a coincidence but we have never waxed the 3400 or the graphics (as Burlington graphics suggest)?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Ours is a 2009 10th Anniversary built in June of 08 and the decals have cracked similar to a spider web. The dealer has a new set and we will have them installed in September. Maybe it was that cold Canadian winter. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Like Rich says, our unit's decals have not peeled but there are some dings in the front decal due to stones, bugs, and whatever. I continue to say that the older units like ours (2000) seemed to have better luck with the graphics. And we've used various kinds of wax, waterless cleaner/waxes, etc., as well as had our unit power washed in Goshen, IN three years ago. Still maintains its graphics though they are not as "pretty" as they were when they were new and no where near as nice as the new units look. But it's all ours.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Ours is kind of strange. Our front cap "Montana" has REALLY disintegrated - as Rich can attest to - while all the other graphics, including the graphics just below, still look great after 3 yrs. We did not "wax" ours per say, but we did spray that wash on it that had a wax in it, but the top and bottom graphics have reacted totally differently to the same treatment, so I don't know...
Old 05-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
One of the decals peeled off on one of the slides on our 2006 3400RL inside the first year. Dealer installed replacement for us at no charge. Don't know if Montans reimbersed dealer or not. If Montana didn't, they should have. Clearly defective.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #15
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
On our 2009 3400RL, the Montana decal is fraying at the top. The dealer has ordered a warranty replacement.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #16
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Ours is kind of strange. Our front cap "Montana" has REALLY disintegrated - as Rich can attest to - while all the other graphics, including the graphics just below, still look great after 3 yrs. We did not "wax" ours per say, but we did spray that wash on it that had a wax in it, but the top and bottom graphics have reacted totally differently to the same treatment, so I don't know...
I have the same thing going on my front cap, I have the new graphics that Montana has sent me . I removed the Montana graphic and liked it so well without the Montana graphic I left it off. The Mountain scene is sitting on my work bench with the Montana graphic, and I am afraid that is where they are going to stay. The Mountain scene is not to bad ,if it gets that way its coming off and staying off. I see no reason to keep fighting the same bad graphics . The sides and back are still okay. I have the 2008 3400RL bought new in November 2007. Maybe some time down the road I will have just the Montana painted on the front, if the Mountain scene gets bad, and gets removed, but right now it looks just fine to me without the Montana graphic.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:00 AM   #17
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
Another set of graphics not doing well. We have the 2008 3075 model. The MONTANA and also the mountain graphic are both peeling badly. We have done nothing to the unit except wash it with Dawn soap, no wax or cleaners used.

At this point all the other graphics appear to be fine. Having made that statement it will probably bring about a change in them.

Have sent an email to Burlington just the other day but expect no reply until after the holiday period.

Our unit started very quickly and once started is progressing very rapidly.

Dean Nelson
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:35 AM   #18
Navigator
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1894

Several of our graphics (especially the front cap) started peeling and shrinking a few years after we purchased our Monty. The ones on the shady side never peeled. Called Keystone but they were no help. After seeing that several MOC members were getting replacements we tried again.... again no success!

When we saw the Burlington Graphic's discussion we called Kristin and within a week or so she sent all the graphics they had left in stock for our 2004-2005 3400RL. They are making the out of stock graphics for a fee. Once they arrive we're going to attempt to remove the old and install the new.

Please wish us luck!!

Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #19
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Guys,
This is a reply to a different post, that I should have placed here. My 3605 '09 Montana side graphics are wrinkled at one spot near a pointed end. The selling dealer, who I had just stopped in to ask questions about this issue, asked if the front decal was peeling, and I told him that I thought not. He stepped out of his office only to point out to me that it was at the letter "T" and that after while it will fully peel. He suggested to me that I should contact customer service, he provided the number, and appeal to the for help, even though I'm 3 months past warranty. I have yet to call, since it was a friday afternoon when he mentioned this option and it is Saturday now. Will call on Monday, and let you know how it goes. I don't know much about decals, but have seen small decals placed by wetting the surface with soapy water and then using the squeegie to smooth out. The soapy water allows for movement before sticking permanately. Don't know if this would work with the larger graphics.
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #20
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Phil,
I think that I have discovered, by going to your "ugly" website, that their shop is only a couple of blocks from our "winter" park in Apache Junction on Crismon Rd.
Thanks for the tip. I just might have to have a decal applied to my TV.
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote