Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
William the cable guy

We had the appointment set up 3 days in advance, with the assurance that the installer of our cable television, and Roadrunner Internet service, would be professional and on time. I am a serviceman and tend to hold all, to my standards, ’old school’, taught to me by my father, who was a Plumber/Pipefitter. I would listen to him tell me about always cleaning up his work area, setting tools out on old towels he kept on the truck. Punctuality was part of the package he brought to the customer.
William was late. Not fashionably late, ’I don’t know if he is going to show up late’. We had to call his office to see if we were still on the schedule. They had to get in contact with William, then call us back. Three and a half hours after the “From 11:00 to 2:00 time frame” that we were promised.
William showed up at the front door with an old vinyl coat on, his long dirty hair stuffed up into his hat, 2 days of beard, glasses askew, so dirty I can’t imagine how he could see out of them. I wanted to snatch them off his face and clean them with ammonia, but I didn’t.
I had a satellite receiver before switching to the cable, so with the two feed cables from that, my antenna cable, 4 televisions and a monitor for a surveillance camera upstairs, and one downstairs, there were many cables in my basement. I asked if I could be of assistance, he said no, so I sat the ordeal out. I was firm when I told him I wanted good cable installed for the digital signal and HDTV I was getting, he agreed to the demand.
One main TV in the living room, and one in the bedroom was all I wanted him to do. 3 hours later he left the house, the receiver in the bedroom didn’t work, the new receiver for the main TV was sitting next to it on the floor, wires wadded up behind it, satellite still hooked up.
The guy stunk, like body odor stink. I was just glad he left the house.
The entire next day was spent climbing the ladder in the basement, taking out unused cable, securing the loose cable he left, hooking up my other TV’s to antenna he unhooked, fixing his screw-ups.
Two days later, today, a Time Warner service guy came and ran new cable to the bedroom, and replaced the defective receiver in the bedroom.
How that kid keeps his job, I just can’t imagine. But we have HDTV now Yeaaa!!!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ozz,

Maybe his daddy owns the company? It is so sad to see this type of thing. And the worst part is we end up accepting it!

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I feel your pain! I had DirecTV service call for three of my very old standard receivers to be replaced. Seems in my area we have a company that is becoming the "exclusive" sub-contractor (Halstead Comm). Same story about having to schedule a 4 hour block of time and then be stuck 2 hour past it for a kid to show up.

Said kid then "discovers" my sub-standard coax (used to feed RF out to a second TV in another room for the treadmill) is my problem! He installs a brand new RG-6 and rolls up my RG59. Then tells me he is not authorized to provide ANY replacement receivers per his pissed off supervisor, which I believe was because he's so far behind schedule. I place a call to DirecTV while the kid is still routing the "new" cable...I was polite with the operator, and confirmed my request on their end was to have three replacement receivers installed. Kid leaves...saying ok...your all set....1 hour after the receiver locks up again.

Rescheduled through DirecTV for a return visit of a repairman, get a call from my favorite company, who tells me they can schedule me, I comment that I have it scheduled and they say, no we can't do that time. I tell them ok I'll check with DirecTV not gonna let them by-pass the main company.

DirecTV tells me it was cancel by their sub contractor...now I'm loosing it...I tell them all I need are three receivers as I originally requested and do not need any help.
Bingo...got a DirecTV supervisor and he credits me a month, sends 3 brand new receivers, and transfers ownership of them to me, as I'm a long time customer who owns all but the HD-DVR receiver.

I'm happy, life is good...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:13 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
In a past life, I was in the service business.

The problem with the kid that came to service your equipment; he never had a role model like your dad to show him. Also, consider that these companies know that by limiting their service, they are monopolizing their product.

We need more competition to fix the service problem.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:22 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have had Dish and Direct-Tv over the years and now use only Direct-Tv which is much easier to set up. Knock on wood we haven't had a problem with the Installers, most have been from a contractor call Bannister. I will say that we have and do have problems when talking to the Direct-Tv management, most of the time its due to not-English speaking or they don't have a clue about RV's using Direct-Tv on a Tri-pod. If and when you can talk to someone who is trained in RV install its much better. Home install is very easy. I am not a electrician or a HDTV installer, however when we built our house in May 06 I ran all the cable to our house. And its all RG-6 cable and all our Tv's are HDTV. I also set our system up each place we have traveled. Direct-Tv did install our first HD system in our 5th wheel. I will say when the installer showed up and seen it was a 5th wheel he said we don't install in a 5th wheel. After I talked to his boss, and told him to cancel all our contract with Direct-Tv, suddenly they were able to do the install, he did have to put it on a steel post, later after I recovered from surgery I put it on a Tri-Pod and its still working today. Also just FYI there is a new Dish by Direct-Tv I think its called Slime Line 3, and it should be much easier to aim and set up. Once you go HD you want go back. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Ozz. I saw the same thing with the guy that lives behind me. The installers were subcontractors from out of state and what a joke. I watched them install the cable and hook it up. When they left the TV did not work right and the INTERNET not at all but they packed him full of BS. The next night he disconnected what they had installed and hooked up his old system and everything worked like it should. He then got to argue with the company and got his money back. The installers were straight out of the sticks if you know what I mean.I think that must have been what you ran into.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Did they give you a critique or comment sheet? I've gotten ornery in my old age. No longer do I hesitate to tell the manager/owner about a bum like you had...late, bad service, bad appearance, bad odor...I no longer put up with it. Things will never change unless we speak up.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
One of the problems is that people do not put their concerns in writing so while "we" know what the problems are the people with the final stroke of the pen do not and without hard data to work from they don't know how they are doing. I always make a point to write/email the corporate offices with both positive (as in my standards being met which appear to become the "old fashioned" way of doing things) and negative with a request for feed back on the negative experiences. Seems to work pretty well. Phone in complaining doesn't always work out as well (if at all), takes longer, and usually gets my blood pressure up to "volcanic" levels!

What you described is similar to my experience with a new install...I was "held hostage" at home from 11:00 to 9:00 p.m. in a house without furniture! NOT fun!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We never Had any kind of contractor do anything and now we are glad we did not. We worked direct with directTV on all the equipment and did all the installation ourselves. Being trained in Electronics helped. I have found directtv to be very helpful with any equipment problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:30 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Just had my first experience with a 'live chat' at Time Warner Cable.
I have a sneaking suspicion the guy was over in Pakastan somewhere. I was IM'ing like a pro... next I will be driving down the highway at 70 mph text messaging like the kids.....NOT.
Here is their response to my complaint, it went about as expected.
user Jim has entered room

analyst Nestor Braganza has entered room

Nestor Braganza(Sat Dec 13 08:16:23 CST 2008)>Thank you for choosing Time Warner Cable's Online Chat. My name is Nestor. Please give me a moment while I access your account information.

Nestor Braganza(Sat Dec 13 08:18:58 CST 2008)>I understand you were not satisfied with the level of support received from us and the technician who visited your place. Is this correct?

Jim(Sat Dec 13 07:19:28 CST 2008)>Yes. The second guy was great, but old William was a disaster

Nestor Braganza(Sat Dec 13 08:19:49 CST 2008)>I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Jim(Sat Dec 13 07:19:59 CST 2008)>Actually, young William.

Nestor Braganza(Sat Dec 13 08:20:00 CST 2008)>We will be sure to share the experience you encountered with our entire team so that everyone re-focuses on the importance of providing quality customer service.

Jim(Sat Dec 13 07:20:18 CST 2008)>Said like a true company man.

Jim(Sat Dec 13 07:20:33 CST 2008)>Will my report get to his supervisiors?

Nestor Braganza(Sat Dec 13 08:21:11 CST 2008)>Certainely, please be online while I get a supervisor.

Jim(Sat Dec 13 07:21:19 CST 2008)>OK

Jim(Sat Dec 13 07:21:39 CST 2008)>Does this thing have a spell check?

Nestor Braganza(Sat Dec 13 08:23:26 CST 2008)>Yes, it does.

Jim(Sat Dec 13 07:24:35 CST 2008)>Well, pardon my spelling, I can't figure out how to access it.

Jim(Sat Dec 13 07:25:10 CST 2008)>While we wait, will your phone service work with my dial out alarm system?

Nestor Braganza(Sat Dec 13 08:27:16 CST 2008)>Our supervisor are busy.

Nestor Braganza(Sat Dec 13 08:27:21 CST 2008)>Your issue will require additional research at this time but you will receive a response in less than 24-48 hours. We apologize for the delay but want to ensure the proper resolution is found. Please be online while I give you the ticket number.

Jim(Sat Dec 13 07:27:44 CST 2008)>OK

Nestor Braganza(Sat Dec 13 08:30:03 CST 2008)>Sorry for the delay.

Jim(Sat Dec 13 07:30:21 CST 2008)>That's OK

Nestor Braganza(Sat Dec 13 08:30:25 CST 2008)>The ticket number for your escalation is 1012296.

Jim(Sat Dec 13 07:30:53 CST 2008)>Thanks. I guess you guys will email me?

Nestor Braganza(Sat Dec 13 08:31:15 CST 2008)>You will be e-mail at Jozzieosue@yahoo.com.

Jim(Sat Dec 13 07:31:27 CST 2008)>OK seeya!

Nestor Braganza(Sat Dec 13 08:31:35 CST 2008)>Appreciate your patience.

Nestor Braganza(Sat Dec 13 08:31:40 CST 2008)>It was indeed my pleasure to assist you today.

Nestor Braganza(Sat Dec 13 08:31:42 CST 2008)>Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Jim(Sat Dec 13 07:32:00 CST 2008)>No. Thank you
Old 12-13-2008, 01:50 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
After each visit by a installer (Tech) subcontractor for Direct-Tv after the installer finished with the repair we were given the phone and ask by Direct-Tv if we were satisfied with the installer. Several question was ask and then it was our turn to tell Direct-Tv about the visit. We have never had a problem with the installer, on with non speaking people at Direct-Tv. I do have a Birdog and locating the signal is very simple. However I don't use the Birdog that often, we have set up so many times it very simple. And with the new Dish (Slime Line 3) it will be very simple for sure. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:02 AM   #12
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
We have DirecTV slim line 3 and it's great HD service. DirecTV has been consistent and good service for us since 1996. The installer for the new HD dish wasn't the greatest but DirecTV will always make every effort to resolve your discomfort on the way to HD viewing. I am not a rep or own any part of DTV but just the other side of the coin. To Ozz, good help is hard to find. We could have another thread about today's American worker in the trades, but let's not go there! Since when did company reps coming to your door have to be presentable and clean Ozz. How dare you!! Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:28 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I had Direct TV, but saved money, and picked up the HDTV, plus Road Runner Internet and saved $60.00 a month. (By dropping Verizon) in the deal.
Dennis, maybe some of us 'old school' folks need to come out of retirement and show the service industry how it should be done.
I gave a quote on my repair of that salad box to my customer. I delivered it and he didn't have the temporary salad box ready, so I helped change the contents over, then he and I delivered the replacement box to his new location he will be moving to. He asked what he owed me for the extra time I spent and the delivery (about 2 miles away) I told him nothing, I was happy to do it for him.
When he wrote me the check, there was an extra $90.00 on it. He appreciates good service, and I appreciate a good customer.
The old 'Golden Rule' is hard to beat.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:07 AM   #14
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Whenever I have a service done poorly I call or email the home office and ask for a supervisor and explain how the service was done.Generally I get a good response,whether or not it does any good,who knows but I feel better venting and the way I feel the squeaky wheel gets the grease
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #15
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Ozz, I don't know what the hell it is with companies today or even some subs...but I'm convinced that many types coming to your door today portray arrogance, indifference and anti-social behavior.I almot want to ask them what pen..they graduated from. Too many video games probably from their background and totally non-interested in their work or even when they accomplish their work.

People don't like people much today. Notice all folks on cell phones in stores, malls, etc., but not talking among those they walk with?? I am really showing my 66 years and I dig electronics!! Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #16
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ozz, I know exactly what you went through. We had had Directv for a few years and wanted the local channels. The guy they sent out to do the 2nd dish for the local channels saw the first on the back porch post and decided to mount the 2nd dish on my brand new steel roof after I specifically asked him to put it above the original dish on the back porch post. I had to make an ambulance run and when I got back he was gone and the new dish was mounted smack in the middle of the new steel. The first wet snow fall we had it came sliding down the roof and tore the mount and lag bolts and the steel. I got on the phone and screamed at Directv. They sent out a new installer who put the new dish right where I wanted it on the post. The husband and wife team they sent did their best to patch the hole in the steel and did a fair job. they even got the same color metal and made a matching patch that has lasted for the last 4 years and not leaked. The same couple came out and did the HD dish install. They were on time and clean and didn't leave till everything worked. So some of the subs are good and some are bad. I guess if you bitch loud enough they will find you a better installer. I was not pleased with the original install but the new installers did a good job... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Dennis if you think you are loosing it at 66 ,,, wait till you get over 70 , it gets worse sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #18
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
OZZ:
Know the things you were going through with Joe the Plumber, NO - Frank the Serviceman, NO - William the CABLEGUY. Back in the early 90's I had one come into the house to put in cable. I was getting a little interference. I had just built the home and had all new internal coax in it. The service man told me the interference was from having 2 - Zenith TV's. Yeah, he said there was a guy on the other side of town that had the same problem. I ask him where the guy lived and he told me. From his directions, I figured out that it was the Zenith TV dealer that sold TV's out of his home. The dealer was retired from an electrical coop and the TV business that he owned. From that point on, I have never had to much faith in service technicians of cable companies....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:09 PM   #19
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I guess for the most part we've been lucky. Number one we've met all the people that Mail2us seems to have missed. The ones that are nice and know what they're doing. Now that's not to say that we don't run into some who we'd rather not deal with.

But I love watching a craftsman work. It is so nice to see someone who knows what they are doing. And I don't care how menial the job may be. To watch a stonemason create a work of art is awesome. I watched a couple of guys for a couple of days install a new floor in my kitchen some years back. This was a project that I thought at the time that Mary Kay and I could do it! Yeah! Right! NOT! After watching them work for a couple of days it was obvious that there was much more to it than I had thought.

I've watched ditch diggers setup systems for irrigation. There are those of us who can use a shovel and dig a hole in the ground but to watch someone who is good makes it look easy. And it looks good and is efficient when they finish their digging.

I'm gonna keep looking for those folks and so far I've been very fortunate.

Our most recent dealings had to do with DirecTV. They needed to install an updated dish for us to receive some additional channels. I showed the guy where I wanted the dish. He took it from there. In a very short time he had the new dish installed, cleaned up his workings. And also had consolidated the two separate dishes and cables into the one new dish. In addition he had tacked up the loose cables that I had hanging around in that area.

We had a new dish. It worked. It was better than it was before he came and he did it all quietly and efficiently.

Just gonna count myself lucky and keep going.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:09 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The wind has started blowing hard here in Kansas City, last night we tried to access 'Movies on demand' a neat service where you can go to a list of movies, some free and some pay for view. The movies we tried to access were all broken up in small pixels, later on last night the wind died down for a period of time, then they came in pretty good. I am wondering if it is the 15 year old pole-to-house cable I told the original moron I wanted replaced. (Or, more likely the old connectors on the cable) Today, I will go out and move it from side to side with a long pole if the wind isn't strong, and test it. So we now have a third cable guy coming out Monday afternoon.
It's like that Jason guy with the Hockey mask, the problems just won't die out.