Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Shih Tzu?????

I want some opinions. Yes, I still want a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, but don't want to pay thousands PLUS shipping to Alaska because there are no breeders in the state. Last night, I was talking to our pastor's wife and she asked me if we'd be interested in a shih tzu. I immediately said no. Then got to thinking. Why not? My dad has one and loves her. Do any of y'all have shih tzu's and if you do, tell me about them. Personality? Temperament? Any health issues?
Thanks!
Tammy

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Tammy,

You've opened the floodgates! I know of two folks who have such pups.... Mrs. Countryguy and FireTruckerWife. I'll just bet they show up soon.

They are lovely little pups.

Good luck.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Tammy,

Being in the dog and cat boarding kennel business for 27 years, I can say that I don't think I ever met a mean shih tzu. They are wonderful dogs, but do need to be brushed if you keep their hair long. They don't shed.... big plus, can or can't be barkers. If you work with them they are easy to train. Really friendly to people and in my years boarding them, they won't potty in the house. Their eyes can weep like a poodles, so there is a little maintenace in that area as well as the back end at times. I am more of a cat person, but if I was getting a dog that would have a similar personality to a King Charles it would be the Shih tzu. So good choice if you are looking for a great small dog. Also, the hair would keep him/her warm in your Alaska climate.

Good luck,
Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Colleen, that is great information! Thank you. As you can see from the picture of my cat, Ashton, I'm pretty familiar with grooming!!! I like that they don't shed. Ashton sheds enough for the whole family! Hmmm! I'm going to talk to my pastor's wife tonight and see if I can get more info on the dogs she had in mind. Thanks again!
Tammy
Old 04-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Would love to help you Tammy, but, my little fur rug rats are Yorkshire terriers, err, terrorists, not shih tzu. (Sorry HamRad, wrong breed, )

That said, all the shih tzus I have had the pleasure of meeting were rather sweet dogs.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I think you need a Corgi. They are great dogs with a good temperment. There is some shed factor though.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Tammy,
We had a Shi-Tzu prior to our current Basenji. Ours lived to the ripe old age of 14 before we had to put him down for cancer. The dog was an absolute joy raising our girls, and was our first child. He was spoiled beyond belief and looking back provided us with many happy times. He still holds a very special place in the heart of every family member here. Bottom line, if that is the breed you select, I believe you will never regret the choice.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
I currently have 2, and have had Shih Tzu's for the past 30+ years. Not the same one, of course. They usually live 14-16 years unless something terrible happens (cancer) They are wonderful dogs. I keep mine clipped in a puppy clip and there is very little brushing now that they are short. I can't imagine my life without having a couple of my sweet fur babies around. I always see a LOT of shih tzus in the campgrounds, making them good travelers. small and compact. Ours love to travel.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Thank you all for your comments. I found a breeder of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels about 2 hours away here in Alaska. They want up to $4000. For a dog. Just one dog. One. So, looks like I can keep wanting a Cavalier. I didn't get to talk to Heather about the shih tzu tonight. I'll call tomorrow.

$4,000. I obviously need to start breeding dogs. And if I stamp "Made in Alaska" on their little bottom, does that mean I can charge double?!?!
Tammy
Old 04-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Carol,

My apologies to you and your beautiful little Yorkies! As Homer Simpson would say.... "DUH"!

Well back to getting more stuff wrong!

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:06 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dennis,

The yorkies are used to it, and always forgive!

Tammy, not sure why those Cavaliers are so much, here is a thought, go to the AKC web site and see if you can find out how many of those are registered, then look at a few other breeds. Do a comparison. I have not been on the site in just ages, but, I thought (Hey Dennis, here is my chance for a DUH!) they had those numbers somewhere on the site.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:07 AM   #12
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We have 2 Shih tzu dog (Don't tell them I called them dogs pls) They are lap dogs. Great travellers. They zonk out when the truck starts and their heads don't come up until the truck stops. Ours are trained for potty stops at 6 am., 5pm and 10pm. That's it...that's all they want.
One more thing. They sleep in a cage and they have "never" had human food. In fact the vet tries to give them a treat (diff. from the ones they have at home) and they won't eat it.

Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:40 AM   #13
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
If you are concerned about weeping eyes, there is a product called "Angle Eyes" that you sprinkle on your dogs food and it clears up the weeping eyes. We have been treating our Cockapoo with it and it works great. It is a little expensive but works.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:09 AM   #14
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Have you considered a cockapoo???? We have one....the best dispositioned dog we have ever owned. I only have one problem with him. We got him on Mother's Day, I trained him....a very easy task....and then my daughter got married, moved out and took him with her!!! He's like our grandbaby now....we take him as often as we can get him. Great personality, clean, no shedding and he hardly barks. As you can tell, I could go on and on about this 'designer breed!!'
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #15
NewFlyLady
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8071
Well, I have a Shih Poo. Shih Tzu/poodle mix. I think dad must have been a miniture because she is all of 6 1/2 pounds. She is the queen of the place and loves to travel. She is very barky, to the point of getting a no bark collar for her. She loves people and other dogs as long as they don't challenge her. Somewhere along the line she became convinced she was a great dane. Just remember that they are extremely intelligent therefore can get bored with obedience training pretty fast.
NewFlyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #16
labmom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8371
Hi everyone-Tammy, I have always had bigger dogs but am interested, (as is Dave) in maybe looking into something a little smaller when the big guys are gone. We were in Case yesterday picking up some more meds for Murph when a women came in with a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. What a CUTIE and a character. I asked the women about their temperament and she said that this one was a little skittish (could have fooled me) but her other one was very calm and sweet tempered.
Later my friend and I looked at her dog book and she was reading that because of the high degree of breeding done on these dogs (like any other desirable breed of dog), that there can be problems with their health, particularly their hearts. Is the same true of Shih Tzus?
Just wondered,
Betsy
labmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #17
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Hey Betsy! While doing my research on the Cavalier, it seems this breed is prone to mitral valve disease. Apparently better than 50% suffer from this issue.

There aren't many designer breeds in Alaska. The most popular dogs are, of course, huskies and sled dogs, followed by labs, retrievers and pit bulls. Trying to find a small dog is next to impossible. We did find a rescue group in Anchorage that has a 1 year old Chihuahua. We called, but had to leave a message. Hoping to hear something before the day is over. We want a big dog, but are going to wait till we purchase some land so he will have a place to run around.

I do know this. I will not pay $4,000 for a dog. I won't pay $1,000 for a dog. That's ridiculous. I know it costs money to breed animals and take proper care of them, but my goodness. A litter of 4 dogs at $4,0000 is $16,000 for a litter. Wow!
Old 05-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #18
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
I hope you understood my humor. Designer dog is the new term for 'mutt'.....just like 50 is the new 30 and on and on!!! Everytime I hear that term I giggle. We grew up with ranch dogs. Who knows what they were. Looking back they must have been quite the 'designer' dogs....just not sure what design!!
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #19
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Oh, I do. It's just that the choices here are so slim. I tried calling again about the chihuahua but had to leave another message. Ugh.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #20
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
Tammy,

We have had various dogs for the last 40 + years.

The Shih Tzu we currently have (see avatar) is probaly the best dog,oops,child yet.

Loves our 11 grandchildren and is loved by them.

His biggest problem is that he likes every person and animal and thinks they should like him also.

You can't go wrong choosing a Shih Tzu as a family member.

nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote