Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Dogman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #182
Finally developed a problem

After 5 years of full time use we finally developed a problem. Yesterday morning while closing up one of the slides failed to move on one end. The bedroom slide and the other opposing living room slide have no problem. The one that's not working is the one that's second in the sequence when moving all of them in or out. One end of the slide moves but the other doesn't. I can manually push it in and out on that end so it seems the slide is not binding. It seems more like something in the drive is broken or stripped. Anybody have any ideas about what to look for. Thanks.

Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sounds like the shear bolt . It goes through that square tube that runs the lengthof the slide..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Rich is probably right. Look underneath the slide at the square tube and see if one of the bolts is stripped or broken.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Had the identical situation a few weeks ago. Almost certain that one of the two bolts linking that torque tube to the two synchronizing gears underneath the4 slide has sheared or dropped out.

IF that is the problem, we fixed ours by "bumping" the slide extend/retract switch until the slide was exactly "square" with the side of the rig. Same exact distance between the side of the rig and the inside of the vertical outer lip of the slide on both sides. Our slide was a bed room slide, so, initially, we just got the bed rollers back in their track in the carpet, then measured and adjusted from there. It was almost exact.

Finally, "bump" it as necessary with the switch to get the bolt holes aligned so a new bolt can be inserted. The bolts are 1/4 X 2", Grade 8 (hardness), steel with zinc plating. The hex nuts are Grade 8, 1/4". The aero-type locking nuts are desired, but not absolutely necessary. Got the bolts/nuts at a local Ace hardware store...no big deal to find them.

Hope all that helps...took us about 15 min to do the whole thing. Had it checked recently at an RV dealer and the tech said it was dead-on.

Good luck!!

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:22 AM   #5
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Not too much I can add. I agree with all the above, that this is most likely the problem. This is a classic example of why it is so important to belong to the MOC. There is always someone to answer your questions. In fact a whole chorus of experts sometimes come forward. Can't tell you how many times we have had a situation where I can remember someone's previous thread. I go back and look and usually there it is and my questions are already answered. Thanks to all who contribute their knowledge and experiences here.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:21 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
patodonn,

I wouldn't have had any idea how to fix that problem.

Thank you for enriching my knowledge bank.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:36 AM   #7
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Hey, I didn't "invent" the info...credit to give where credit is due....I got all that from the Forum about a year + ago and went out that week and bought the bolts/nuts "JIC". One year + later, needed them!. Thanks, in particular, to Dale (MIMF2), who was a Lippert Rep at Keystone at that time, for the info and specs on the bolt/nut back then..

That's what the Forum is all about..
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:12 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We had this exact same thing happen to us last summer. Couldn't imagine what was happening to have that effect on our LR/DR slide. Now we won't travel without the shear bolts. It's an easy fix if you have them but it can be hard to find them so it's best to be prepared. Glen carries 2 1/2" stainless steel, 1/4" bolts. Sometimes they have to be cut off to 2 1/4" so that the length will fit.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
We have had this happen twice now. Once within the first year we had our Montana. The second time was two weeks ago when we were getting ready to go to Indy. We keep four or five for just such and occasion.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #10
Dogman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #182
Thanks to everybody. I checked today and found one of the bolts completely missing. It must have fallen out Thursday night right after we put the slide out. I'll go tomorrow and get a replacement plus a couple of extras. It really is good to know you can always get on the forum and find solutions to your problems.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #11
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We also have had this problem. Fixed it. Have extra bolts on hand.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote