Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2006, 04:08 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, that's good to know. On our 2003 it would not reignite and, if I recall, the manual said the same thing. The newer ones must work differently (better).

Dave, we do not run with water heater turned on. Not even in subfreezing weather. I figure the water starts out hot and by the time it could freeze we've stopped for the night and fired the heater again. I do leave the electric element turned on but ours always has water in it. When we connect to shore power it starts heating the water. In this Montana we're finding the electric element gets the water so hot we're not even using the propane element. On our 2003 it was the opposite. Maybe in the winter we'll need both but not this time of year.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:58 AM   #22
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
We leave our fridge on 24/7. We are only part timers, but leave the trailer stocked up and ready to go in a moments notice. I have had troubles leaving mine in the Auto mode. It will set a check light after we have traveled a little ways. I can hear it light on propane when I disconnect it from shore power but after I recheck it when we are 50 miles down the road the check light is on. If I switch it to gas only it will turn on and reignite whenever needed the whole trip with no problems. I am thinking it must be some problem with the fridge. But I have just gotten used to it this way. Maybe if it's something simple I will get it fixed someday. Sorry to hijack this thread. I thought with all the talk about auto and gas mode I would see what everyone knew about my problem.

Ron & Melinda Rosewall
Marcus, Iowa
'06 F350 DRW King Ranch 4x4, diesel pulling machine.
'04 3685FL, Fireplace, Cent Vac, Fantastic Fan, Safety Glass, 2nd A/C, Slide out awnings.

http://www.picturetrail.com/fordzilla

Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:24 AM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
To turn off hot water heater, do I just turn off the switch at the tank? Or is there something else? Switch inside is always off...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:45 AM   #24
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have always traveled with our frig on. Since we rarely refuel while hooked up we don't have to think about turning propane off. Our first unit had a three way frig - ran on battery when not on propane or A/C. We have never needed to travel with furnace on since we've never been that cold (thank goodness). We do not have the water heater on as it does not take that long for the water to heat up once we are parked. We've been at this RVing for a long time and never had a problem traveling with frig on.

Happy trails.....................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:07 AM   #25
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
We have always run with the propane on. One way to help the refrig relight easier (after being off for a tunnel/refueling) is to light the stove (it's always easier) and let it run for a couple of minutes. That helps to get the propane down the lines and closer to the refrig.

Bert and Betty
Fort Smith, AR
2007 Silverado Classic 3500, DRW, D/A, CC
2007 Montana 3400RL
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:48 AM   #26
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Dave Sprik, the business about the water heater has been discussed here at some length, but I'll repeat what I've stated before. When we leave on a trip I turn on the electric switch at the water heater (outside) and just leave it on. That way when I hook up to electric at each campsite the water heater just comes on. Obviously, when I disconnect the electric heating is "off". I rarely use the propane for heating water (switch inside) unless we need quick recovery. My reasoning, like many others, is that electricity is included in campground fee and I have to pay for propane use. I turn off the electric switch (outside) only when the trip is over. Only exception is if we find a low voltage situation which may require care when air conditioner, microwave, etc. are all demanding full power. We turn electric water heating off under those circumstances.

On the more general subject, we do now travel most of the time with our refigrerator on "auto" which obviously switches to propane while on the road. BUT.... we have traveled hundreds of miles in the summer with the refigerator off and have never had any problem. That is based on these assumptions: refrigerator and freezer full and cold before leaving; extra ice packs. Ice cream might be a bit soft under these conditions (all day travel in summer), but everything else travels in fine shape if you don't open the refigerator. That has been our experience. In fact, I still often leave the refrigerator off when our day's journey is not long.

The great thing is that there is a lot of latitude, and each of us has his own preferences, which are often based on other than absolute necessity.

David and Shirley -- East Texas
2955 RL Montana
Chevrolet Duramax 2500 Allison Trans
http://www.dwilliamson.com/mont.jpg

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #27
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Guess we need to add our two cents too. We leave our fridge on wil traveling except where it has to be off for a tunnel or fueling up. I leave it on auto like most everyone. The hotwater heater is left on electric too so it is ready to go when you plug up. I also leave the fridge on auto and be sure it has switched over to gas before I pull away. It normally does this is less than a minute. I think we all do much the same thing; however, I have never left my heat on while driving. I just think that is too risky.

Native Tex

O.V. & Kathy Bonner
Miss Ko-Ko (Chocolate Lab)
Huntsville, Al
'05, 3400RL
'05 F250 Ford King Ranch, CC, FX4/4x4, 6.0L PSD

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/AL/Huntsville.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Huntsville, Alabama Forecast" height=40 width=467[/img]

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, something is not right with yours. It should auto switch to propane and ignite. The check light goes on if it cannot light the propane in 45 seconds.

Dave, we also leave the electric element on all the time. If I want to shut it off I'll just shut off the breaker inside the coach. Nothing else is on that circuit on ours.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL

Old 09-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #29
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We run with all propane and propane devices off.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #30
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We do not run our refrigerator on propane when on the road unless we're going to be traveling more than six hours (which isn't often). We've found that everything stays around 42 degrees in the refrigerator and the freezer stays frozen.

We also leave the switch on the water heater in the "On" position and turn off the breaker inside the rig. In our rig, the water heater is on its own breaker.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I like David's (Padredw) propane saving ideas.

I have a question on that water heater switch... If you turn that off, is that ONLY for the electric element? Or does that ALSO shut off the electronics for the propane igniter and safety shutoff for the WH, thus keeping the WH from firing on propane?

Old 09-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #32
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave, it just turns off the electric element. You can run on gas then. If you are at a park on a monthly basis, you may pay for electricty separately. Then it is cheaper to use the propane so you turn the electric off.
Happy trails...............................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #33
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Sue! Very helpful.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:29 PM   #34
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Just got back from Alaska and ran the frig all the time. No problems!

Dave & Emily with Martha the dog.
05',F-250SD,4WD,CC,PSD, King Ranch, Banks exhaust, Airaid air filter & Firestone Air Bags.
2005 Montana 2980 RL
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #35
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
We have run with the refer on Propane, but found it's not necessary unless running down the road for extended periods of time. My main concern regarding running down the road with the propane turned on is being involved in an accident and severing a propane line. No sense in adding fuel to a possible fire!

We also turn the water off, city and/or 12v pump when away from the unit. This eliminates any surprises when returning.

The hot water 110v switch is left in the off position until pluging in and always turned off before unpluging. Propane operation is always turned off until shortly before needing hot water. Ours heats fairly fast.

We always turn off the breaker in the site hookup panel before pluging in and turn it off before unpluging.

Just my $.02 worth.

Don

Don & Claudia
MOC 1685
1999 2850RK
1995 F250 Ext.Cab 4x4 7.3 PSD
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:54 AM   #36
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Interesting safety points, Don. Haven't heard of these, but they make sense.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #37
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, a little more on the water heater, if I may. The electric element and propane heater are totally independent. The switch outside behind the cover is for electric. The switch inside is for the propane heater for the water heater. You can run either or both at the same time. Running both gets the water back to hot in a shorter time. That's nice when you need back to back showers. Some of us leave the electric element switch on all the time and use the breaker in the coach to turn it on and off because it is more convenient. The electronic board requires, I think, 12v from the battery. It will get that 12v so long as a good battery is online, regardless of the heating element switch settings. I hope I didn't just muddy the water.

We leave the electric element on all the time because our heater has water in it all the time except when I'm draining it to check the anode rod. At that time I switch it off before draining. Even in our stick home days I filled the water heater in the spring and left it full until winterizing. I've seen people drain that tank after every trip but I see no reason to do that.

We do make sure the propane heater switch is off before hitting the road. We have no need to be burning propane for the water heater when on the road since it heats within a few minutes after we park.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL

Old 09-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #38
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Steve. You cleared this up for me. The switch behind the panel outside is 110 AC. The electronics behind that same panel that handle the propane ignition/safety shutoff are 12v. Two totally different electrical systems and independent of each other.

Common sense if you think about it. If you are boondocking, or dry camping, you need to have the propane available for the water heater. Any electronics that are needed to control propane distribution, must be 12v, or many RV camping situations would be seriously compromised...

Thanks, Steve.