Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve & Vicki, you didn't leave any Porkies for us

Al and I went out for lunch, and the burger lover that I am, I finally convinced him to take me to Porkies here in Fredericksburg for one of those fab burgers that Steve R. and Vicki bragged on.

WELLLLLLL, ya must of ate em all up! Cause they are CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!

Story we were able to piece together, the owner sold out a few months ago, Steve and Vicki came to town ONE month ago, ate all the burgers left town with full bellies and satisfied grins on their faces, and now Porkies is closed, and are supposed to reopen under new management.

Well, that is partly true. HAHA, Porkies sold out and according to the message on their answering machine they are supposed to reopen soon under new management.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
The owners probably got to talking about Steve and Vicki's travels, and decided they wanted to travel also.
I know I would if I could.

Merv

Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Isn't that just like 'em!!!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:17 PM   #4
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
How strange! When we checked in at our RV park in Fredericksburg about a month ago we were told that Porkys had been sold about a year ago. But when we went there, everything, except for the staff, seemed the same.

For the sake of all the burger lovers out there, I hope they re-open SOON!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Do you hear me crying????

Old 04-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Oh ... that was YOU! I did hear something really odd earlier today, but couldn't quite put my finger on what the heck it was!
Old 04-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Now you know!
Old 04-07-2006, 11:16 PM   #8
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
You folks are a hoot!!
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:21 AM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
CountryGuy,

You aren't that far away from where I live. I live near the town of Driftwood. If you want some wonderful food try the Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls. They have some of the best homemade food, and the deserts are to die for. For future information there is a wonderful RV park just outside of Marble Falls called Sunset Point.

If you are coming towards the Dripping Springs area the Salt Lick has the best BBQ in this area.

If you want any recommendations for good places to eat just ask.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:31 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yes, I see you are not that far, east of Johnson City. We have routed our way north out of here via Marble Falls, do they serve breakfast??

Thanks for the ideas/hints. Maybe some good ideas for next year. OHHH YEA, Al, we have to come back, Colleen just gave us some more ideas! Isn't that a shame, we have to come back! HAHA

Thanks Colleen
Old 04-08-2006, 04:52 AM   #11
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
I heartily second the Blue Bonnet Cafe suggestion!!! We ate dinner there when we were in Marble Falls to visit friends and it was FABULOUS!!! Steve had a piece of chocolate cream pie and I swear the meringue was at least four inches high!!! And they do indeed serve breakfast. You'll love it, Carol.

And, we stayed at the Sunset Point RV Park ... very nice park with a great view of the lake and they have free wi-fi!!!

Good call, Driftwoodgal! Wish we'd known you were there when we were ... we always enjoy meeting new MOC folks.

[Boy, am I ever glad we got off the Steve-and-Vicki-ate-all-the-hamburgers topic!]
Old 04-08-2006, 06:54 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, the Blue Bonnet Cafe will be on the right as you enter Marble Falls and shortly after you cross the bridge. It is indeed truly outstanding and very, very reasonably priced. Our friends, who now live out on Lake LBJ near Kingsland (not far from MF) used to live in MF itself. Jim and Lorine tell us the breakfast is equally outstanding. This is a local color place. And a place we will visit every time we are in the area. Haven't tried their burgers, though.

So you'll recognize it... This picture is a bit blurry as we were moving. This is coming from the north. You'll be coming from the south. Parking is around back.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:29 AM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
thanbks for the photo.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Well, ole Carol is STILL CRYING the blues! Found the restaurant pretty easy thanks to Steve R.'s good directions and photo!. Course, we were hauling Montana and parking would have been a bit difficult, BUT, we did see a place we could have parked. However, when we drove by to make our turn, OOOPSSS, a line, quite a few people too. Seeing that we were already fighting several situations, a NASCAR race north of Ft. Worth and reportedly a demonstration in Dallas (they told us they were expecting 300,000 people??), we were headed to Arlington, btw. Well, anyway, we saw the line, thought of situations, and kept on driving. Will need to do that on a weekday we think. Maybe next year?? Better with no Montana in tow I suspect.

SIGHHHHHHH!! I ended up with a Subway sub. It was food.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #15
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Ooooooooh noooooooooooooooo ... you poor thing!!! You've missed out on not just one, but two totally terrific Texas food experiences!!!
Old 04-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
is that good luck or what??

SOBBING!!! In Arlington Texas!!
Old 04-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Poor Carol and Al!!! Carol, when you walk in to The Bluebonnet one of the first things you see is a display case of pies. Not just pies, but PIES!. The meringue on some of these pies had to be at least four inches high. And everything under the meringue on my chocolate cream pie was fabulous, too. So sorry you had to miss this place.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #18
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Oh no you missed one of the best parts of Texas I don't think I have ever eaten anything in that cafe that wasn't good. Sorry you didn't get to stop there. Did you go through Austin on 290? If you did you were 5 minutes from me when you drove through Dripping Springs. We have lots of parking here at the house several acres. Now when you parked the Monty next to our New Vision I would be as I really want the 3400RL. Hopefully our place will sell soon and we can start visiting people.

vickir,

I didn't realise that Sunset had free wifi. Hopefully we will be camping there for about a week at Fourth of July. I will take the laptop with us. A friend took his boat with him so we caught lots of bass. Nothing better than cooking fresh fish on the grill, 30 minutes after you caught them. We plan on fishing from the shore when it warms up later this year.

We only went up and stayed for two nights. It was my first time to camp out in the 5er except where I cooked. All of this is new to me, I am learning so much from this great group of people.

Thanks,
Colleen
Old 04-10-2006, 06:57 PM   #19
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Colleen,

well, you know, now I have a good reason to come back to the Hill Country!

We took 290 to 281 north to 190 east to 35, 35 to 35W to 20. 20 east to Arlington.

35 is a bit rough, but otherwise the roads were great, we made real good time, did not hit the NASCAR race traffic and did not get involved in either of the immigration demonstrations traffic (one in Ft Worth and one in Dallas, both same day).

Old 04-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #20
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Al,

Well if you head back this way next year, you need to put the Salt Lick and Flores Mexican food on your list of places to eat. Lots of things to see and do in the Austin area.

Glad you had a smooth trip to Arlington. How long are you staying in that area?