Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2006, 02:46 AM   #1
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Kintec Sensor 5th wheel hitch

Has anyone had any experience with or check out the 5th wheel hitch by Kintec. It is e/w with its own brake controll and works in unison with the movement of the 5ver and sets up for the wt of the trailer. The hitch is rated at 24K and will mount on existing Reese rails.
Their web site is ww.kintec-inc.com.
This hitch was featured in Trailer Life this month.

Thanks

Wa4bmg

wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 02:53 AM   #2
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
No but I am in the market for new hitch and this one is intriquing. I wish they had one with under bed ounting.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

No but I am in the market for new hitch and this one is intriquing. I wish they had one with under bed ounting.
Dave
Dave, according to the info I got from them , it will mount in existing Reese rails or the they have a kit that supplies similar rails

Regards,

John wa4bmg
Old 01-01-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
John.
I'm not sure how the reese bars go in. If they mount to the under bed system I'd be a customer. I plan to visit my friendly hitch dealer next week and have a look.
Dave
Old 01-01-2006, 11:01 PM   #5
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

John.
I'm not sure how the reese bars go in. If they mount to the under bed system I'd be a customer. I plan to visit my friendly hitch dealer next week and have a look.
Dave
Dave, The Reese rails mount in the truck bed and bolt through to the frame. They have brackets bolted to the frame underneath the truck and the rails are bolted to them from the top side. The hitch is then pined to the rails with 4 lage pins. I am not sure how others mount. Some Reeses have like a twist lok arrangement but I am not familiar with that set up. Kintec was also very quick to send out literature.

John
Old 01-02-2006, 02:29 AM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
For those looking for an under the bed 5th wheel hitch. Look at Reese Signature series hitch. Its great. We had one (18K) installed in our 2005 GMC 2500HD short bed with the slider. The new clamps make the hitch snugger and you don't have front back movement. You can take out the hitch and all you have is four flat mounts in the bed of the truck. The draw back is you have to read the instructions. It says to come into the hitch a little low and let it slide up onto the hitch. The reason is the clamp has very little tolerance and has a safety pin the releases so you can lock down the hitch bar. I came in a little high just like I used to on the old Reese hitch and bent the safety latch. The dealer just bent it back and everything is OK now. It is a good setup. They come in 16 and 18 k sizes.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:05 AM   #7
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Ken,
The Reese Signature is the hitch I was looking at before I saw the Kintec. I really like the twist lock feature. However, I woud much rather have the Kintec with the built in brake system. But, I don't think the kintec matches up with the Signature mounting. I plan to call Kintec after the Holiday to find out more.
Dave
Old 01-02-2006, 05:36 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
Any update on the arrival of your new GMC Duramax? I am just amazed that GM is taking this long to get your rig to you, I think you have been a lot more patient than I would be at this point.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
My truck is on a train car headed for Phoenix. The story about train car shortage is apparantly true. On a typical day they have 400 trucks in quegue to be loaded at the Flint plant where crew cabs are built. 800 trucks waiting would be a bad day. As of the Friday before Christmas there were 4000 trucks waiting. At Pontiac East where the regular and extended cabs are built, the have filled up nine lots around the plant and are truking them over 30 miles away to find storage space. Apparantly the train cars got shunted away to hurricane related issues and there is insufficient capacity to catch up.

Our truck was shipped the 23rd of December. I found out the number of the rail car it is on and figured out a way to track it through the Union Pacific web site. Presently the train car is on a siding in Kansas. According to the report I got back the train car has a "Draft Gear - Yoke Broke / Defect" whatever the hell that means. At any rate, I am looking for it to arrive with in the next week. That will be close to 90 days since I placed the order and close to 60 days since the truck came off the assembly line.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:00 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave
Glad to hear the update and progress. This is why we bought the one the dealer had on the lot. Only things missing were my leather seats and Bose sound system which I'm learning to live without. And we got to go to the rally in Minden because I decided to live without them, so I'm happy. Enjoy when it get there. They may put it on another car since it may take awhile to fix that car. And they may not fix it all. Since most of the railroads have more cars than they normally use (Katrina has made an exception), a lot of times if a car is damaged they scrap it.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:56 AM   #11
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Ed,
The train car is being fixed today and is scheduled to roll at 4am tomorrow. Time will tell. I actually started trying to chase down a different Chevy or GMC before the holidays. There was nothing that fit our needs in AZ or as far away as Albuquerque or LasVegas. Then I heard it had finally shipped, I decided to continue the wait.
Dave
Old 01-03-2006, 05:24 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Great news Dave - keep us posted. BTW it is Sue posting.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #13
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I talked to kintec today. They are developing a mounting system that eliminates the in bed rails. It will mount to underbed brackets with bolts through the bed of the TV rather than the quarter turn bolts used by Reese and others. It sounds like they are almost ready to ship this configuration for Ford but have not completed bracket design for GM. I like this hitch enough that I may back off and go for the in bed rails if the under bed mount is not ready. (BTW, my truck was finally moved from a broken rail car in Kansas to another rail car and is scheduled into Phoenix next week. If anyone else is trying to track a vehicle coming from GM, drop me an e-mail and I will tell you how to do it.)
Dave
Old 01-12-2006, 02:35 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ye Gods Dave..That will be used truck by the time you get it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:44 PM   #15
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
at least I won't have to wait for the paint to cure before I wax it.
Dave
Old 01-13-2006, 04:58 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
As long as someone doesn't run all the warranty miles off before you get it!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote