Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2005, 01:34 PM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well, we have stayed in Flying J's, Turnpike plaza's. Roadside rests, Truck stops, Wallmart parking lots and scores of other lay overs of opportunity. Remember once at a truck stop it was very windy and two 18 wheelers pulled in tight to us to protect us from the high winds.We do not make a habit of it, would much rather be in a campground with full hookups but there are times when you got to take what you can get. Never had a problem of any kind.It is a lot easier to find a place to stay these days with GPS, Cell phones, WI Fi, etc...We use passport America and it helps at times , also are partial to KOA because in general you know what to expect. As for feeling safe we used to have a big ole noisy dog and we now have an attack Cock-A-too. The Remington M-870, 12 Ga, 18 inch barrel,7 round mag. 00 shot is also a defensive deterrent.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:53 PM   #22
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
[i]"The Remington M-870, 12 Ga, 18 inch barrel,7 round mag. 00 shot is also a defensive deterrent."{/i}

My God, what in the world are you afraid of? Life is far too short for that kind of paranoia(IMHO).
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:15 PM   #23
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Steve & Vicki Yes we have reservations at Bastrop State Park for Jan. 2nd 3rd and 4th. With this being our first year of heading South, we're getting anxious to travel and meet MOC members that we have enjoyed corresponding with.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:13 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

[i]"The Remington M-870, 12 Ga, 18 inch barrel,7 round mag. 00 shot is also a defensive deterrent."{/i}

My God, what in the world are you afraid of? Life is far too short for that kind of paranoia(IMHO).
That was tongue in cheek..we use the Remington for deer hunting in Ohio.Should not have mentioned guns,,falls in the same category as religion and politics..But from someone who has no fear of firearms or religion or Politics I sometimes forget the sensitivity of the subject. I withdraw the Remington statement.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:19 AM   #25
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Rich,
I am relieved. Sorry I didn't catch the tongue in cheek implication. I am also a long term gun owner and hunter in my youngrer days. But my reaction comes from living among many nut cases living in AZ. I personally know of a guy who sleeps with a loaded 8 gauge scattergun beside his bed. Need less to say, I stay far away and view him with a degree of pity. He must have a really sad life. So glad to hear you are not in that category..........
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:19 PM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

Rich,
I am relieved. Sorry I didn't catch the tongue in cheek implication. I am also a long term gun owner and hunter in my youngrer days. But my reaction comes from living among many nut cases living in AZ. I personally know of a guy who sleeps with a loaded 8 gauge scattergun beside his bed. Need less to say, I stay far away and view him with a degree of pity. He must have a really sad life. So glad to hear you are not in that category..........
Dave
No just a old PA hunter and camper..Also the Cock-a-too only attacks me.The dog was noisy but would not hurt a fly..
Old 11-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #27
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
While everyone's travel experience will be different here is a snapshot of our travel costs from Northern California (Sacramento) to the RGV in Texas.
We started fulltiming Sept 15th, have been on the road for 75 nites, since we were not in a hurry have stayed two plus nites in each location and averaged 150 to 200 miles per pull day, we've covered 2658 miles, (not counting non pull side trips).
We used PPA, Good Sam, TACO, and monthly (1) and Weekly (2) rates. We don't usually look for County parks as were not generally interested in roughing it. Currently sitting in a County Park we found by accident at the south end of South Padre Island with full services. Steps from the beach, and temps in the high 70's and low 80's, (this week anyway).
Anyway, I digress, since Sept. 15th miles traveled: 2658; CG costs:$1358.00; Average $452..78 per month: average $18.11 per nite.
Obviously there will be a lot of variables based on travel choices and availability, etc.
but this was our experience....

jerry
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:21 PM   #28
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Nice brush gun, Rich. I grew up hunting in the Grand Rapids, MI area, which is a "shotgun" deer area. I was really happy when we moved north my senior year in HS and graduated to a "rifle" area for deer. I have gone back into S. MI and hunted with a shotgun, but felt really inadequate. I like to be able to reach out 200 hundred yds with crosshairs and get my venison. Actually, I believe that 90% of my shots have been at 70 yds of less, though. How far can you reach out with that buckshot? Just curious about your seven round magazine... is that stock?

Oh, I'm sorry... weren't supposed to talk about this, right??? Hey, I have an idea... new forum subtopic: "Montana Sportsmen (and Sportwomen)". Must be some who travel in their Montana on hunting trips? Or fishing trips?

Hope I didn't offend anyone.

*On Edit ~ Did I offend anyone by being WAY off topic??? Sorry about that too.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:17 AM   #29
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
There is that fear of the unknown if you are forced to boondock overnight. It's not likely to happen in the lower 48, but when we were north of Jasper National Park, the town where we were planning to camp for the night had no vacancies. A nice lady at the Visitors Center directed us to a wooded spot north of town where 3 or 4 other rigs were already in place. We had a distinct feeling of trepassing, less common among travelers in the far north as boondocking is more commonplace. We had our trusty and ferocious dog (aka Greta, the wimp) with us but we both felt more comfortable with the axe in the bedroom. It turned out to be a wonderful and safe place to stay. And we were considerably more confident when we occasionally dry camped on the rest of our trip.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote