Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2005, 03:42 AM   #1
raucnd
Established Member

M.O.C. #4926
Dometic A/C Furnace

I have a 2005 Montana 3400RL
I have been having problems with my A/C, Furnace since I began using the A/C last summer. I have contacted Dometic and the recommended "fix" was done approx. 1 and 1/2 wks. ago. However, it is still exhibiting the same symptoms, i.e. , furnace comes on while a/c is running, and timer is in off position. Once, while out, the furnace started running and when we came in it was 87 degrees in trailer. Everything was in off position and remote was set at off and 72 degrees. I am at my wit's end. We are traveling for the winter and want to get this fixed! Anyone having the same type problems and how was it fixed?? HELP!!

raucnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:47 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I presume that this is the much-hated Remote Thermostat? You could take a look at the thread called "remote thermostat", or just save yourself a lot of time and ask you dealer to order the "Dometic Comfort Control Center" to replace it. Dometic know that there is a problem with the remote, and have been changing them on request from dealers. The replacement includes a wall thermostat and a new control board, so whatever is causing your current specific problem, the replacement should eliminate it.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
I just had my old remote thermostat replaced by Dometic with the CCC. I sent them an e-mail explaining to them the problems I was having and I referenced this forum and they responded with "Your request should not be a problem. Please take your rig to your nearest repair service so they can contact us with the part serial number". I made arrangements with my dealer and gave them a copy of their e-mail respond as a point of reference. I had the CCC installed and works like a charm. Just had the trailer out this weekend and the furnace kept us nice and warm. Follow OntMont advice and go to the Montana Problems & Technical Help discussion forum to read up on the problems that MOC members have reported with the remote thermostat.

Good Luck!
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:59 PM   #4
raucnd
Established Member

M.O.C. #4926
Thanks for the response. I think I am on the right track, now. I went to the Montana Problems and Tech. Help, as suggested and have only just begun to read all the comments. Looks like I'll be up all night. I can, however, top the one suggesting we owners are just too dumb to understand the remote.
My dealer called me a "G. D. Liar" after having my trailer for 3 weeks and failing to fix my A/C Furnace. He also ingnored the email instructions from Dometic, that I left with him. Guess who won't be going back to that dealer, after buying three trailers from him? If anyone wants to know the name of this dealer I will be more than happy to supply it.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Might not want to post his name, but I would be interested to know if it is in your area of Ohio? I am going to email out bids to several midwest dealers. I really don't want to waste my time sending anything to a dealer who responded like that to anyone... for any reason. You can PM me if you like.

Dave
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:51 AM   #6
raucnd
Established Member

M.O.C. #4926
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Might not want to post his name, but I would be interested to know if it is in your area of Ohio? I am going to email out bids to several midwest dealers. I really don't want to waste my time sending anything to a dealer who responded like that to anyone... for any reason. You can PM me if you like.

Dave
Yes, the dealer is in the Middletown/Hamilton, Ohio area. It is Couch's Campers and was the owner, Jerry Couch. Nice businessman, wouldn't you say? Good luck in your adventures. We spend the summer in Ludington, Michigan.
To add to your quote, Stretton Smith "The 4 T Prosperity Program" says; "We either do, or we don't do. There is no try".
Old 11-15-2005, 01:53 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Couch's dealership did NOT respond to my bid request...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:05 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Charles. They will not be on my list.

On the quote ~ Miilions of kids love that series (and many adults). I wonder how many of them picked up on that quote?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:28 AM   #9
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
It sounds like we are having the same problems that you are. Remote was off and all of a sudden the timer came on and both the A/C and furnace came on. Called Dometic and the service guy said it sounds like it is the sensor on the wall that is the problem, not the remote. We are traveling and will have to fit in a service appointment somewhere along the way.........Les
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by raucnd

I have a 2005 Montana 3400RL
I have been having problems with my A/C, Furnace since I began using the A/C last summer. I have contacted Dometic and the recommended "fix" was done approx. 1 and 1/2 wks. ago. However, it is still exhibiting the same symptoms, i.e. , furnace comes on while a/c is running, and timer is in off position. Once, while out, the furnace started running and when we came in it was 87 degrees in trailer. Everything was in off position and remote was set at off and 72 degrees. I am at my wit's end. We are traveling for the winter and want to get this fixed! Anyone having the same type problems and how was it fixed?? HELP!!
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:14 PM   #10
raucnd
Established Member

M.O.C. #4926
The plot thickens................After numerous phone calls,email to Dometic and visits to the local R.V. dealer, who installed the new control board, which didn't fix the problem, we find out that for us to get the CCC, we have to pay for it. Even though the problem started, and we emailed Dometic when our trailer was less that a year old, the fact that "our dealer" ignored Dometic's email and did nothing except call me names after I found the A/C furnace was not fixed, he also didn't report it to Montana and they (Montana) say they have no responsibility. It is up to Dometic and Dometic doesn't want to pay for it.
As we are on the road, the same dealer who put in new control board, is sending someone out tomorrow to "trouble shoot" per faxed instructions that Dometic was to fax them today.
It is sad that we have no recourse against dealers who DO NOT do maintenance or turn in customers's problems to Montana so they can have a record of same.
A word to the wise, dont make the same mistakes we did. I am not sorry I put our dealer's name and what he said to me on this forum. I strongly advise everyone to STAY AWAY FROM HIS BUSINESS!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:35 PM   #11
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Hope things do work out well for you. We are faced with the same issues. We will probably deal with ours when we get back to Washington State. We have a very good dealership, but we will see.......Les and Sue
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by raucnd

The plot thickens................After numerous phone calls,email to Dometic and visits to the local R.V. dealer, who installed the new control board, which didn't fix the problem, we find out that for us to get the CCC, we have to pay for it. Even though the problem started, and we emailed Dometic when our trailer was less that a year old, the fact that "our dealer" ignored Dometic's email and did nothing except call me names after I found the A/C furnace was not fixed, he also didn't report it to Montana and they (Montana) say they have no responsibility. It is up to Dometic and Dometic doesn't want to pay for it.
As we are on the road, the same dealer who put in new control board, is sending someone out tomorrow to "trouble shoot" per faxed instructions that Dometic was to fax them today.
It is sad that we have no recourse against dealers who DO NOT do maintenance or turn in customers's problems to Montana so they can have a record of same.
A word to the wise, dont make the same mistakes we did. I am not sorry I put our dealer's name and what he said to me on this forum. I strongly advise everyone to STAY AWAY FROM HIS BUSINESS!
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:35 PM   #12
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
I am also having the same problems with the remote that everyone else has had. ie; wide temp range when cycling, 10 plus degrees off, and intermittent operation of the furnace. Haven't had the timer problem...yet. I emailed Dometic, provided my dealer with model number, serial number, etc as instructed by Dometic. They sent out a replacement..........no, not the CCC but another piece of crap remote, new card and sensor. Supposedly they have corrected the problem. Yeah, sure. I will install it as instructed but won't have any idea how the AC works with it. Guess I will just have to go on how the furnace runs. I will let you know the results. If this doesn't work then I will contact my dealer and see what the next step will be. I have to say the dealer has been very helpful and has asked me to be patient and jump through all the hoops. If it pays off it will be worth it!!
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:57 AM   #13
Simon
Established Member

M.O.C. #2897
Send a message via AIM to Simon
We have just started experiencing the problem with the furnace/ac and the thermostat. It has happened three times in the past six days. The first time we were out and did not catch it until it was about 90 with the ac trying to fight the heat. Our dealer says that he has had no problems reported. We now have information that we can bring to him about this problem.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 07:33 AM   #14
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
As expected this remote acts exactly like the original.........a little better maybe. Only 8 degrees off rather than 10. I called the dealer and will return this unit to Dometic. Hopefully, the next fix will be the CCC. I will let you know......
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:29 AM   #15
Simon
Established Member

M.O.C. #2897
Dometic says that we are supposed to go through one of their dealers to have the Remote Comfort Control (furnace/AC)problem solved. Our dealer says that we have to leave the trailer with them so that they can see the problem for themselves. Since we are full timers and this happens at the whim of the equipment, this could be a real problem.

Does anyone have a contact name or telephone number at Dometic?
Old 11-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Check out the huge post about the remote. On the first or second page there is an email address for Dometic. They called me within an hour of my email.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:33 AM   #17
raucnd
Established Member

M.O.C. #4926
We have been emailing Dometic at customersupportcenter@dometicusa.com
Good luck, and sorry I didn't respond to this sooner.
After this coming Tuesday, I hope to have an update to post on here concerning my problem. We are "hiding and watching". Waitng too, I might add.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:16 AM   #18
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I just faxed a copy of the post that gives all the part numbers to our dealer, and they just ordered the parts under warranty from Dometic. They sent the parts on to me, and I replaced them myself. (We are a three to four hour drive from our dealer).

Good luck, the replacement Comfort Control Center really does work a lot better.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:15 PM   #19
raucnd
Established Member

M.O.C. #4926
We are happy to report that Dometic came through with the CCC and it was installed today by an authorized Dealer who does Dometic service work. The dealer is in the town we are staying in at this time. As everyone stated, it was less than an hour and the installation was complete. We hope this is the answer to our problem.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:52 AM   #20
Simon
Established Member

M.O.C. #2897
Who do we talk to at Dometic?

We are hoping someone has a name at Dometic that we can discuss this problem of the thermostat. We thought we had it solved. Dometic had agreed to send our dealer a new ccc and the dealer agreed to install.
(would not send it directly to us) That was about two weeks ago. We checked with the dealer yesterday and we were told now that Dometic is stating that this is not a warranty item - Keystone is telling us the same thing. At the present time we have the whole unit shut down including the circuit breaker. We cannot trust the system at all. Right now the weather is warm but soon we will need the system on all the time. Tom Brandon at Montana was absolutely no help at all.
We have a 2005 3400RL manufactured in April, 2005.

Any suggestions pr contact names?