Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2005, 03:27 PM   #41
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

Well, we went to Town & Country RV in Clyde, OH, today. Didn’t get a chance to talk to Bill. I think the service guy’s name was Virgil, but I’m not sure. He was a bit standoffish.

He started by looking at the truck for a problem. When I told him no Ford dealer’s checked the truck, because they blame the trailer, and that most of the problems seem to be in the trailer’s wheels, he reluctantly said he’d take the Monty’s wheels off.

We left for a while, (he had moved it to the shop, and didn’t seem happy to have me standing around,) we stopped back to see him putting the left rear tire back on, complaining about the amount of grease it had in the hub, for starters. I asked him if he’d make sure the brakes were adjusted when he was through, he looked at me strangely, and I think he said he doesn’t do that. (Bear in mind my hearing stinks, and the shop was a bit noisy. I just didn’t press it.)

Since we had some time on our hands, we drove up to Sandusky, and there we went to Cedar Point for a look at the scenery. Got a Voice Mail message saying it was ready, an hour and a half after they started! But they also said they couldn’t find any problem.

They did move the left side fender fare back a bit, as I had asked, since it was installed too far forward, and was rubbing on the front tire when I went over big bumps.

We drove by a long route back to Leafy Oak Campgrounds, (nice place, by the way, as you said,) and didn’t see a single Trailer Disconnect fault. I don’t feel confident with it, yet, of course. But it would have come on in that short a drive if whatever was bugging it was still the same. It had been going nuts halfway to T & C.

We’re headed toward Pennsylvania and New York, tomorrow. I’ll know, probably before we park for the night, if it’s still a problem. At that point, I’m going to Ford, with the T & C paperwork, showing that they had checked the trailer. It may take us going back to the place I bought it, (both truck and trailer,) to get this settled, at this rate. But if it isn’t fixed, I don’t think I need to be hill climbing to the Reno Rally. And that will really and truly irritate us!

I’ll update this as I get new info.

Oh, and Rich, I didn't see any Montys around. They did have a couple Mountaineer fivers, up front, though.

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:49 AM   #42
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve, did they say they checked all four wheels? It could be any one of them and even could be the wiring under the trailer, outside the wheels. From your description of their service people I'd be concerned with just how thorough a job they did. I think I'd be inclined to stop at another dealer when you arrive at your next destination and ask them to check it. Just my opinion, Steve, but that service dept does not seem very confidence inspiring.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:34 AM   #43
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steve, Have not met anyone from T&C service department.Will look up good ole Virgil when we are there next. Everyone has always been real nice to us at T&C.Friend of ours is picking up a 3670 there Thursday using the PID from this forum..That might drive good ole Virgil nuts.Good to hear that Leafy Oaks is still good..Have not been there for awhile..How did you like Cedar Point,Do charters up there all the time.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:12 PM   #44
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Steve, did they say they checked all four wheels? It could be any one of them and even could be the wiring under the trailer, outside the wheels. From your description of their service people I'd be concerned with just how thorough a job they did. I think I'd be inclined to stop at another dealer when you arrive at your next destination and ask them to check it. Just my opinion, Steve, but that service dept does not seem very confidence inspiring.
Steve,

He said he pulled all the wheels. But he’d have had to do it in about one hour, because they called my wife’s cell phone an hour after we left when he was just re-installing the first wheel. I really wish I wasn’t afraid of making him upset, and just stayed there to watch. But I’d have been over his shoulder, and messing with the stuff that was exposed. I know that situation would irk me if someone did it while I was at work.

It’s possible he did them all.

But, here’s the catch. No matter whether he found anything, he certainly managed to change something.

We got all the way to Erie, PA, the first day, and now to Niagara Falls, NY, the second day, without a single “Trailer Disconnected” alarm!

This, of course, doesn’t tell me much. If he only did the one tire, there’s a problem in that wheel’s wiring. But since he didn’t find anything, the problem may be outside, or inside the wheel.

So if I do have to stop at another Monty Service shop, I'll not be paying another $58 to have this done, again.

But it’s fairly certain it’s not in the Ford.

Steve
Old 08-03-2005, 05:28 PM   #45
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Steve, Have not met anyone from T&C service department.Will look up good ole Virgil when we are there next. Everyone has always been real nice to us at T&C.Friend of ours is picking up a 3670 there Thursday using the PID from this forum..That might drive good ole Virgil nuts.Good to hear that Leafy Oaks is still good..Have not been there for awhile..How did you like Cedar Point,Do charters up there all the time.
Rich,

As for T&C. They seemed to have changed the fault. So I now know for certain it’s not the truck. That counts for something.

And I dunno how happy any dealer is to be servicing someone else’s sale item. I’ve always felt reluctance when bringing any of my cars into a dealer that didn’t sell them to us.

But I do feel they should have recognized the possibility, (or at least made it appear so,) that a brake problem could be a loose or shorting wire in the part of the trailer that does the most moving. And I’d wager it’s not only our Montys that have such problems. And the other brands probably have problems eventually traced down to just what I asked them to specifically check….

Give ‘em hell. Not that they’re bad people. But just because I probably won’t be going there, again. Not because of this experience. (It wasn’t all that bad, anyway.) But because we will most likely just be elsewhere.

The people at Leafy Oaks are nice. As are the other campers. We chatted with several of them for a long time. Some wanted to tour the Monty, so we were happy to oblige. Especially since we just got there, and it was still clean!

We only drove up to the entrance of Cedar Point. Since it was hot, and we had our dogs in the truck, we didn’t plan on staying. But it sure looked well-kept and massive!

We’re in Niagara Falls, right now. We plan on staying three days. We drove around a while, swam in the pool, got cheap diesel and cigarettes at “Smokin’ Joe’s,” (Indian shopping center,) and will do a tour tomorrow, leaving the dogs in the Monty, with the A/C running. The next day, we’ll drive to the Canadian side to see the really glorious stuff. Kim’s wanting to do another tour of that side. I think I’ll let her go and stay home and be “Mr. Mom” to the dogs while I nap or watch DirecTV. (I did the laundry, again, today. I deserve a break!)

Steve
Old 08-03-2005, 05:38 PM   #46
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's always a bit disconcerting not knowing if it is fixed or is just hiding and waiting to bite you at a bad time. Let's hope whatever it was was fixed by the act of removing the drum, etc.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:00 AM   #47
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I did not talk to anyone in the service dept at T&C but a couple of the sales folks did talk about the dealer ship being quality control for the factory..Dealers do not make the big bucks on warranty work. A friend of ours is picking up his 3670 there today using the 12 page PID that I gave him..Can't wait to hear how that turns out//// We will have a chat with the service folks .. The fact that the symptoms changed (what did they change to) does indicate that they disturbed the problem. Our trouble started as intermittent disconnects, then solid disconnects, then a blank readout like the Rv was not there at all,The trouble was a wire to a drum pulled out of a crip on connector.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:18 PM   #48
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I did not talk to anyone in the service dept at T&C but a couple of the sales folks did talk about the dealer ship being quality control for the factory..Dealers do not make the big bucks on warranty work. A friend of ours is picking up his 3670 there today using the 12 page PID that I gave him..Can't wait to hear how that turns out//// We will have a chat with the service folks .. The fact that the symptoms changed (what did they change to) does indicate that they disturbed the problem. Our trouble started as intermittent disconnects, then solid disconnects, then a blank readout like the Rv was not there at all,The trouble was a wire to a drum pulled out of a crip on connector.
Rich,

I should have rephrased that.

The symptoms went away! All seems to be working as it should be. I have brakes, and no Trailer Disconnect alarm, at all.

Of course, now that I've said it, the next time we hitch up, it'll be back.

Just kidding.

But as Steve Reigle said, it's kind of bad, not knowing what was actually done to make them go away, because it all can simply come back again.

And, at the totally wrong time.

I wonder if this has anything to do with my finding a five-leaf clover at Leafy Oaks....

Spooky!

Steve
Old 08-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #49
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A five leaf clover is a good omen..There may have been a crimped wire on one of the hubs that was giving an intermittent ground and they freed it up messing around..Not knowing kind of keeps you on edge. The thing is there is a problem there somewhere and it will return..in a day..week..month..who knows.perhaps when you have a lot of time you can take it to a dealer or the factory and have it looked over real good..Glad the problem is gone for now..the ding..ding..ding can drive you nuts...
Old 08-05-2005, 02:29 PM   #50
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There also could be a wire with the insulation chafed off and it got moved where it's not shorting to metal.