Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2005, 04:03 PM   #1
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Broken closet rod

Hi,
This is for the door closet. Has anyone had the closet rod fall, the door open and all the clothes fall out on the floor. This happened on our latest trip. I guess I put too many clothes on the rod. I will have to fix it a little stronger.

5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:32 PM   #2
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Haven't had that happen yet, but.. Since I have retired, we will be using the 5er a lot more often when Mel is home, so I know we will have a lot more clothes in the closet now. I'll have to have Melv take a look and maybe add a little support just in case. Thanks for the heads up.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We lived in our when I was working and I had to "dress up" every day so I had a lot of clothes on that rod and heavy things like sweater and leather jackets, etc. and never had any problems. We plan to travel with a lot less clothes now. No dress up, no pantyhose, no make up (most of the time) and no heels. Yeah!
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:57 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
5er, I'm sorry but I apparently am having a dense attack more stronger than normal tonight. We have the same year and model as you but our closet by the door does not have a rod, just hooks. Am I misreading this and maybe you are talking about the bedroom closet across the front? I think maybe I just figured it out. Is this the closet with a door where we have the washer and dryer? Sorry to be so extra slow tonight.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:22 AM   #5
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Ours fell off as well, too many clothes ours plus kids clothes. Pull screws from the top shelf, plus the light weight plastic metal rod bent in the middle. Took regular household clothes rod cut it to length and added 1x4 top of shelf to add bigger screws all has work well from that point on.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:57 AM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We lost a closet rod in our bedroom of our 2003 3655 Montana. The bedroom is in the rear of the trailer. Too many clothes one winter going to Florida. i replaced the metal rod with a fiberglass electrical condut tube and replaced the ends with heavier brackets. I also screwed in an l-brace in the center to support the center of the overhead shelf (which also supported the closet rod.) After starting the project, I noticed that the orriginal closet rod was cut too short at the factory and was just holding on each side by 1/8 inch. It was an accident waiting to happen.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren VA
2005 3475 Montana
2005 2500HD GMC CrewCab Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Our rod broke and the brackets came loose - stapled not screwed. We replaced it with a metal rod and Bob screwed the brackets in. No problems since.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:14 AM   #8
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

We lived in our when I was working and I had to "dress up" every day so I had a lot of clothes on that rod and heavy things like sweater and leather jackets, etc. and never had any problems. We plan to travel with a lot less clothes now. No dress up, no pantyhose, no make up (most of the time) and no heels. Yeah!
Happy trails.......................

"NO Heels" say it an`t so Sue!!!! (lol)
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:39 PM   #9
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
The closet rod that pulled out was the one that is where the washer dryer would go if you had them. I fixed it the other night with some galvanized pipe supports that have 4 screws each. Should stay in place now. One improvement I made which would be good fo Keystone to note is that I moved the rod down about a foot and moved the shelf below to the top so that you can easily get to it. We use that shelf for our bath towels and now you can get to them without my shirts and pants in the way. I reused the existing shelf which is 12" deep but it now could be 18" deep if I want to change it out.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote