Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2005, 06:30 AM   #1
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Guide Plus TV

The 2001 3280RL that we purchased in April has a Guide Plus TV system. Was that standard for that model? I am having trouble learning how to set up channels etc with the system. And it refers to a special box that you need to connect the tv to the VCR that didn't come with the trailer? Any advice or help?

drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #2
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
We have that setup with our 02 2955RL. I have the adapter for the VCR but haven't used it. I just connected the Antenna cable to the Antenna IN jack on the VCR and the Antenna OUT jack from the VCR to the TV antenna IN connection. Then it is just a matter of setting the TV to channel 3 if I want use the VCR. (Of course you could also use the RCA IN jacks on the front of the TV too.)

I Googled for the Guide Plus info and found the following site which may be of help to you: http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/133118.html

We've found the Guide Plus channel lineup helpful when traveling. The key is to input the ZIP Code matching the city where the broadcast originates - NOT necessarily the one you are located in. I think it picks up the info from PBS stations. Usually it does take overnight to get the lineup but sometimes it will do it in less time.

I have the manual for ours and can provide further info if you don't have one.

As a side note, I installed two RCA Jacks on the wall near the VCR and attached them to the L and R audio OUT VCR jacks.
I also removed the Samsung Radio unit and found RCA input jacks on the back of it where I attached cables strung through the cabinets and around the end of the slide, which I can then attach to the wall jacks from the VCR audio OUT jacks. Whew! I think that got a little confusing!

Anyway, I now have stereo sound. And - another item for the check list to be sure to disconnect the two wires to the wall jacks before bringing the slide in!

Hope this helps.

Russ
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:53 AM   #3
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Thanks Russ
I will try some of the suggestions on the link. It just seems time consuming when you set up after hooking up the park cable and it doesn't let you scan channels. I found that I can force it to a channel but can't surf until the next day. Other than the setup, zip code, etc stuff that it asks on screen is there anything in the manual that isn't self explainatory? Is there anyway to shut it off? I don't have the g-link but have the VCR/DVD hooked like you have. I have the satellite in the loop also. Everything works with a little tweeking and patience. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:08 AM   #4
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Just received information from Thomson Inc that manufactures the RCA Guide Plus systems. They tell me there is a HIDDEN MENU that you can access by holding down the channel up and down keys on the TV at the same time for approx 10 seconds or until the menu appears on the screen. You can then scroll down and choose to deactivate the demo.

I haven't tried it yet but will let you know if it works.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:21 AM   #5
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hello all,
Camping world has these switch boxes for around $35.00 or so. I also have a 2001-2955 and installed a seperate jack (outside) that a can hook my satellite to. If you use satellite it won't work hooking it to your cable conector.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:57 AM   #6
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Tried the deactivate tip but it did not work on this particular TV. Sent another request for info to RCA with the model and serial numbers this time.

Actually someone added two external jacks next to the satellite prep jack. So I have a total of 4 external cable jacks. The original one is the only one that ties the bedroom and living room TV's together.

Probably should install one of those patch boxes that allow you to select which source you want to use for the input to both TV's. The current system works ok for as much as we use it. Especially now that I have figured out what all the connections do and do not do. I just want to get rid of the Guide Plus!
Old 07-08-2005, 04:08 PM   #7
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
Here's another link that addresses the "How To Disable the Guide Plus on a RCA TV" question. I didn't try it. Here is a paste from that site:

======================================
Instructions on how to deactivate the Guide Plus+.

Turn on the TV

Bring up TV Main Menu and select option 7 (TV Guide Plus Menu)
Select option 1 (TV Guide Plus Setup)
Find the MENU, GO BACK and Input button on your remote
Press the MENU Button then immediately:
Press the GO BACK button then immediately:
Press the INPUT button.

Note: It is important to press the Menu, Go Back and Input buttons quickly (within a second of each other)

You will Get a menu, Choose "Don't Remind Me Again"

Then Select OK

The Guide Plus system is OK for our use even though it is a nuisance to have to press the "Guide" button on the remote to get it to go away each time I turn the TV on. I have noticed that it will not come up if I turn the TV on at TV with that button, rather than the Remote Power button.

To get the channels setup, I usually just hit the Menu button, then option 3 for channel, then option 1 for Autosearch. After that, you can immediately surf all you want.

The manual is 53 pages. If there is some specific thing you are looking to do, let me know and I'll see if it is there.

I did notice on the RCA site www.rca.com there is possibly a manual available online if you know the Model #-- http://tv.rca.com/en-US/RLSearch.html
I don't have the model of ours and didn't want to pull it out of its mooring to find out.

The manual says "You must remove the Demo Pin from th G-LINK jack on the back of your TV in order for your TV to operate properly and to connect the G-LINK cable". It doesn't say what the "Demo Pin" does. Makes me wonder if that might be related to your questions.

Russ
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 03:12 AM   #8
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Thanks for the information. Will try The suggestions. I have been using the clear button as soon as I turn on the TV when the Guide screen appears. When I try the autosearch it scans for about 3 or 4 minutes but doesn't give me all of the avaliable channels until the next am? Seems to use the last scan as the current channels until you turn it off for a few hours? Kinda like it is still on and searching the electronic airwaves with a mind of its own. Maybe its gaining strength and will start controlling the microwave or the coffee pot? I wonder if it is communicating with my pickup computer when I am hooked up? Before long it might take control of the pickup and we won't be able to go where we want?
I think I might remove the TV before it gets complete control?
Or, just keep hitting the clear button when I turn it on. That seems to work just fine. But,I will try a few more suggestions before I give up trying to disable it.

The last reply I received from RCA must have been one of those computer generated things. It said "Glad we could help you solve your problem" when my question said "it didn't work". I guess I shouldn't have started the note with "Thanks for the help" because they didn't read the next line that said "your fix did not work on this TV". Maybe the TV has taken over control of RCA? Or even worse my computer? Help! I think its too late.!

Don
Old 07-12-2005, 01:04 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We don't use the tv guide plus feature because we move around. As for setting up the tv, we tell it we do NOT have a vcr connected. We do have a vcr connected just like in a stick home but for some reason the tv doesn't like to let the vcr do its thing when it knows the vcr is there. The vcr/dvd work just fine like this and we can switch channels either at the tv or the vcr.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:56 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don
Maybe it will take control of the truck and drive for you and you can sit back and enjoy the scenery.LOL
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:17 AM   #11
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
If it takes over the driving that would be good. But how will the navigator yell at it when it makes the wrong turn? Suppose she will continue to blame me? Not so sure this is a good deal. Might be worth replacing the Television if I can't get the guide to go away.
In the mean time I am just enjoying the other benefits of owning a Montana.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:18 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Russ and Sandy

Instructions on how to deactivate the Guide Plus+.

Turn on the TV

Bring up TV Main Menu and select option 7 (TV Guide Plus Menu)
Select option 1 (TV Guide Plus Setup)
Find the MENU, GO BACK and Input button on your remote
Press the MENU Button then immediately:
Press the GO BACK button then immediately:
Press the INPUT button.

Note: It is important to press the Menu, Go Back and Input buttons quickly (within a second of each other)

You will Get a menu, Choose "Don't Remind Me Again"

Then Select OK

Russ
Excellent, Russ! Thank you! We've been dealing with that annoying menu for three years. I just followed the above steps and it worked!

For those who do not want to go through these steps, turning the TV with the set's power button rather than the remote bypasses the menu. Now I need to go peruse the list in the link.

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote