Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2004, 12:45 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
LOL, Karl. By all means use the turns screen! One of these days I'm going to get a small microphone for that laptop (no built in microphone) and "program" it for input to SA so I can switch back and forth between screens without reaching for the keyboard. Or ask it questions, etc. I just haven't done that. Anyone else using that feature?

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:09 AM   #22
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Hi All,
As I mentioned earlier in this thread we will eventually get a GPS, but not just yet. My computer savy-ness is limited to specific areas. Do I understand that there is a reasonably priced software/GPS system that we can use on the laptop while driving? If so, do you plug the laptop into an accessory outlet, and what kind of adaptor do you use? Our Sony laptop runs on 19V, do you use an inverter to convert to 110V? Inquiring minds want to know! This could give us the help know without having to put out a $grand for the Garmin. Thanks,
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 04:15 AM   #23
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Bill and Shari,

Yes, there is a reasonable alternative. The "package" I bought was the DeLorme Street Atlas 2005, and including the GPS Earthmate receiver (no screen on the receiver), it costs $129 from DeLorme, but I got it from the following company online for $119 plus about $8 for shipping. I received it in two days FEDEX. Here is the site I got it from.

http://www.gpsnow.com/em.htm

The GPS plugs into the usb port and is powered by the laptop. I have a 12v adapter for my Gateway Solo laptop which is 19v, and I plug it right into my accessory plug in my pickup. The 12v adapter can be purchased from many of the computer shops at varying prices.

I just purchased the GPS/map system a week ago, but I have used it on a couple trips and am very satisfied with it. Would have liked to have gotten a "handheld", but I was to cheap. There are adapters available from DeLorme for using the receiver with PDA's.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:05 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have the same GPS and software as Karl. I just plug the laptop into a $20 75-watt inverter that plugs into the "power point" or cigarette lighter. I've been using this setup for about three years including a little short of two years' fulltiming. I also have a 12v adapter like Karl has but not for the truck's laptop. It's for my Sony, which is in the process of dying, which will make the cord useless.

I have a board that is bungee corded around the lid to the console. The board is covered with velcro. I put velcro on every available space on the bottom of the laptop. This way it stays put but I can move it around how I want it on the console, although I don't move it while the truck is moving. I have it angled towards me so I can quickly look down at it. Works really well.

The software has an option to talk to you. It will do that automatically at the appropriate times to let you know a turn is coming up, or whatever. I also have taped near the keyboard a list of keyboard commands. For example, pressing F5 will result in the voice telling me about the next turn, no matter how far away it is.

By the way, if your laptop doesn't have USB, I think the new Earthmates either come with a serial adapter or it's available for purchase from DeLorme. If not, contact me. I think I still have a serial Earthmate. I'm using the USB version now. The serial one plugs into the power point also so you'd either need two power points or a two into one adapter. The serial Earthmate is not compatible with non-DeLorme software. The newer, USB version is NMEA compliant so can work with other software.

I also have a garmin (for laptop) around here somewhere and the Microsoft gps that came with Streets and Trips. I guess I need to have a garage sale.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:26 AM   #25
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
I use an inverter for the lap top. My Magellan Platimun has a serial port cable for the lap top and a 12 volt connector for the cig lighter socket. I have been using this set up for about three years and so far have seen no need to upgrade it. We also us the setup for mapping Geocaches and hunting the, where we camp.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:51 AM   #26
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I use MS Streets and Trips with GPS. I have a 200w inverter that I plug into the truck power source and run the PC off 110V. I bought a small step stool at IKEA that fits nicely on the floor between the front of the seats and the dash. The PC sits well on that and is easy to see for both the pilot and copilot.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:00 PM   #27
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Co-Pilot navigates. I am not directional challenged. We use maps and plan our trips on Map Quest. But we have only traveled all over California and Arizona at this point. We plan on going with a GPS when we start traveling full time. I get the Map Quest directions after we have discussed what we want to do. Binolculars really help when you are using maps only and have to look for a street to turn on like when you are trying to find a CG. We already power our laptop with a converter because I often work or play cards while Ed drives (I cannot just sit there). I really appreciate all the information on here concerning the various GPS's available. We rented a car once that had GPS and really liked it. The voice was a woman and we called her Mrs. Hertz. She got really excited when we made a wrong turn. And she didn't help us get back on track.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:38 PM   #28
Montana_882
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #882
My lovely wife is the naigator and assistant driver,as we tell people we never get lost we just find new places and we are not campers we are travelers.
The only thing that worries us is low bridges and we use the trucking atlas for help there.We don't use any type of equipment to navigate by,except the seat of our pants.That way we see a lot of things that the normal traveler misses.
Montana_882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 12:53 AM   #29
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Thanks everyone for your insight and feedback on this thread. Sounds like there are a lot of Adventurers in our midst, barely using maps, etc. How fun!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:42 AM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Parrothead, you will love the GPS when you start fulltiming but why not get it now for your shorter trips and just keep it around for fulltiming later? You wouldn't need the binoculars, the GPS software will show or tell you to turn here to get to that CG.

The earlier versions of Street Atlas have a button you can push to plot a route to get you back on track. So does the 2005 version but it also has a switch to make that feature happen automatically. You tell it how far (up to 500 feet or so) you can stray before it recalculates. I just got this new version recently so haven't tried the auto back on track feature yet but hope it works as advertised. I did hook the gps to my laptop here in the Montana. I had plotted a route starting at street by the campground we're in. It told me I'm offtrack and recalculated my start position to be where the GPS says we are, at our site in this park! Pretty slick. It really surprised me how many satellites the Earthmate GPS found while sitting on the back of the couch with all window shades down. I had full 3D location.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:12 AM   #31
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I usually chart out a route using our mapping program. We use a couple. The one we really like is MapN'Go. Wouldn't you know that the year after we got the program they discontinued it! Still we use it because it is just so easy to use and in general is still a great program. We also use Street Atlas. Just got the latest version. Soooo anyway.... after we've got a basic route laid out we go to paper maps and double check roads etc. We also then use the Woodall's and Trailer Life listings to check out parks. So we have a good general idea of where and how we're going before we hit the road.

On the road the co-pilot is the navigator. She keeps us going in the right direction and alerts us for all the turns etc.. We use the GPS system to give us a general idea of where we are and about how far we are from main connector roads and so on. The GPS is the one I have hooked to my Ham Radio. It is a stand alone system and I run it all the time. One feature of the GPS that we enjoy is the elevation listing. It is fun to know what your elevation is at any given moment.

But even with all this we often will take a road "less traveled". We love to get off the interstate and explore a little. Nothing like coming into a little town and discovering something unique! What a great adventure this whole thing is! As Just149 says.... "This is the life"!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:43 AM   #32
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve,
The Monty isn't moving for a while and the only trips we are making is in the SUV from Northern Calif. (where the Monty is) to Sour stick house in Southern Calif. and we know this route very well (about 300 trips in the last 11 years). I wanted to wait to get the GPS so we would have the latest software. Plus I thought it was going to cost a lot more than some of the people here have posted.
By the way since I'm at the stick house, I've been going back and reading some previous posts that I couldn't get on the computer in the Monty which is newer and on hi speed. My great aunt taught Mickey Mantle in school and his brother. She lived in Baxter Springs. I'm going to try the Active X thing when we go back up after the holidays. The whole thing with that set up is driving me crazy. I also cannot see posts that are from that day. I thought maybe it was a timezone thing but changing my time did not work.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 07:34 AM   #33
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris

We haven't even picked up our 2955RL yet, but we've been testing the Garmin 2620 we bought (deep discounts online!). 2620 is portable or permanent and comes pre-loaded w/maps. Sits on the dash and has remote to change screens, find attractions like fuel and camp grounds, etc. Plug and play, plus we take it w/us for use in rentals!
Does very well, even on rural roads and parks. Helps us navigate and let's us know where we are in non-nav mode. Co-pilot is still learning the menu system, so I rely on "Lulu" to tell me where to turn and co-pilot verifies from paper maps!
Headed to AK via Seattle in June!!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 07:59 AM   #34
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
The Pilot plots the route, co-pilot is content to enjoy the ride - more interested in the destination than the journey. Use a Garmin 60C with Garmin City Select programming from the laptop. Might use Streets and Trips 2005 if Santa is good to me. Usually plot in the route before starting the trip. This is my third Garmin. First one I sold in Canada to the resort owner on a fishing trip (8 channel model) and just upgraded to the 60C because my II Plus didn't have mapping capability. I use mine for fishing, hunting and travel or I'd have one of the dash mounted Garmin. I use the beanie bag mount for mine.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote