Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
How much extra electric to run Splendide?

This has created quite a stir. When the extended family camps on the property in the woods, at he end of the season we split up the electric bill. The campers range from an old 28' trailer, 34' 50 amp trailer, my brother and I with our large 50 amp fifth wheels. Most of us only weekend there, older brother is retired and sometimes spends a week or more at a time there(he is not the property owner). He and his wife are known to not be very frugal with the electricity. She has been known to have the fireplace and an electric heater on while he has the a/c on upstairs so he is not miserably warm. One would assume that they use more electricity than the rest of the campers right? No matter what method we've tried to split the bill, someone or more often than not everyone else is unhappy with the split. In years past we divided it equally, but the bill has kept rising. This year, we asked everyone to count the days they were there, added the days together to get an average per day and split it that way. Well, you guessed it, everyone but big brother is unhappy because it would seem he underestimated his days. Now, while in Florida for the winder, he has proudly posted a picture of his new Splendide washer/dryer. So fellow MOC'ers, how would you handle this and still keep the peace. While it's not known if they will use the w&d while in the woods, how should we handle it? For those of you with a W&D, how much more electricity does it use?

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have a splendide. IMO the washer probably does not use much electric to wash but drying on 110 does. Don't have a clue how to handle that one good luck! Family can be a sticky situation!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
There is no "keep the peace" solution, as under reporting days at campsite is likely intentional. Sometimes one sibling will feel more entitled (self centered), and it will show in many respects through their actions. We use our w/d exclusively and never use CG laundry, but never calculate the separate cost so can't help exactly in that area. However, there must be Electric Meter on the property and it would seem reasonable for each camper to read the meter and log in the numbers at the beginning and end of a camping trip for all family members to see. The property owners (that are obligated to pay) could be the enforcing authority. Some family members always want/get the biggest slice of what ever is being served, more of that entitled attitude. From actual family experience this will not end in harmony. We try not to waste energy, but if possible use electricity verses propane when included in the nightly camping fee. Our winter (in FL) electric bills have varied from $50 to $100 monthly depending weather plus one propane 30 lbs tank about every 4 weeks. Hope this helps.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Sounds like the avg cost per day is an excellent idea. No use crying over a few bucks in electric between family. We had a shared Colorado River property between an uncle, the folks and myself for years. Bill was split in half between the uncle and parents until i came of age then thirds after that. My uncle used the cabin probably 300% more than either of us combined. In a very nice way we told him we were paying for our last year, just didn't make sense to supplement his vacation time. Fortunately no feelings were hurt everybody was a "man" about their part. We should have went to a per day plan, would have worked out much better and extended our use of the property but a few years later the Govt decided they wanted the land back (lease on public land) so we'd have lost it anyway. My family had used the land for 40 odd years. They wanted to return it to it's natural splendor. My guess is we'll see a hotel go up once we all forget about it. Good luck, money between friends or family can be such a mess.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
No real answer to the Splendide question because you have to know how it was used. The Dryer uses a lot of current and can do so for quite a while. Also, in the summer, our AC in that area is kicked on by the heat from the dryer if I do a couple of loads. On the other hand I usually do the wash in the Splendide and hang the clothes on a line to dry, thus saving a lot of $. Short of someone reading the meter, after use I don't know how to figure something fair.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:00 AM   #6
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
You can always read the meter when you arrive, and read it when you leave. My leaving meter should closely match the arrival of the one coming in behind me. Multiply usage by the cost per kwhr and voila!
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:37 AM   #7
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
You can always read the meter when you arrive, and read it when you leave. My leaving meter should closely match the arrival of the one coming in behind me. Multiply usage by the cost per kwhr and voila!
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Our Splendide Uses about 10 amps on the dry cycle.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Reading the meter at the beginning and then at the end of each visit and marking it down on a running sheet is the best answer. The meter doesn't lie and can't be argued!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Do this math. If you have a 20/30A rig figure $2.00 a camping day. If you have a 50A rig $3.00 a day. A Washer/dryer $1.00 a day.

Now add up all the camping days using the above costs and see where you are. If you have extra, next season have a group campout and buy the meat. Or refund the overage. You are short, bump the rates.

Your meter probably has a flat fee per month just for being there so divide that by number of folks using the elec. a $20 flat monthly fee, 4 family members, $5 each. Plus daily camping fees. Got a well for water, that takes elec. Got septic, that takes maintenance.

Maybe a $20 a month fee just for maintenance, whether you use the facility or not, then the camping fee.

Been in accounting way too long.............

Get the money up front from family. Period.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote