Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
Storage Tent

Does anyone use a storage tent under the pin area of their 5th wheel? Saw one that looked interesting, however uses snaps. Don't really want to put holes in the Monty so was wondering about using industrial strength Velcro. Anyone tried it?

Your feedback is appreciated!

Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
Should I assume no one has one of these? Seemed like a good idea if parked for a couple of months like we do in Florida for the winter? Could put things like chairs, dive gear, etc to keep dry and out of site. M concern is attaching it in some way that won't damage or mar the trailer -any ideas?
Old 10-04-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Duct tape?

Just kidding. I looked into doing this about a year ago. I immediately dismissed the one size fits all solutions from Camping World and the likes as the ones I've seen looked like someone with a medium tee shirt size wearing a XXXL. A solution from a marine canvas guy was to attach rope tracks up the front and around the overhang area. Then the large style zippers attached to the rope tracks would be slid in and zipped to the main part of the tent. It would be a custom fit and would have the advantage of keeping the rain water out. The track would have to be screwed in to the Monty, but if properly done it would look good and could be done in white or stainless. I didn't get far enough at the time as to price.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have one with snaps. Use it on very long stays. It has a lot of storage room and keeps things out of sight. You would still have to put Velcro on the unit if not snaps and from what we have seen the Velcro does not hold as well. Got it at C.W on sale. This is our second one as we also had it on the 06 23400.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
Hey, thank you both for your feedback! Are the snaps very noticeable? We bought one, but still haven't decided how to go anyone else with experience?

Thanks Again!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
www.ezsnapdirect.com You will be able to get some snaps from them that stick to the gelcoat. They are white and I think he also sells the front covers. We bought the window covers and love them. Was going to tint the windows on this unit but it has the dual pane and heard that by tinting it will get the glass to hot and unseal. Word of advice is if you get window covers measure so you can put the fasteners on the gelcoat instead of the frame. The frame is just not flat enough.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The storage garages from C.W come in 3 sizes. We had one on the 06 3400 for 5 years and it held up very well, no tears, no rips and the zippers did not break. The 13 big sky required a different size.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:18 AM   #8
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jsmitfl

www.ezsnapdirect.com You will be able to get some snaps from them that stick to the gelcoat. They are white and I think he also sells the front covers. We bought the window covers and love them. Was going to tint the windows on this unit but it has the dual pane and heard that by tinting it will get the glass to hot and unseal. Word of advice is if you get window covers measure so you can put the fasteners on the gelcoat instead of the frame. The frame is just not flat enough.

So the easy snaps will work with the tent storage unit? Also on their window covers, I have frameless windows - would it be best to attach to the window or to the gel coat? I have been looking at that and was getting ready to purchase. Glad to hear it works well for you! Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-05-2013, 04:08 AM   #9
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I've used the industrial Velcro and it does not work period. But down in Gulf Shores AL there is a couple that does them custom for each unit. They install a track underneath the overhang and then the heavy duty vinyl just slides in. They also make a cover that goes over the pin box while making the skirt. Very professional looking and a bit on the pricy side. Last yr. it was $400.00

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #10
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Money is no object, if you spend all you have, the government will take care of you. And if you think you have everything I have a bridge for sale.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #11
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Jewels, If you have the frameless windows put them on the windows. Also the tent storage would have to be above the molding but yes the snaps go on the fiberglass.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:26 AM   #12
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Champ, that sounds kind of nice also.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
Mac-2
Established Member

M.O.C. #12841
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

I've used the industrial Velcro and it does not work period. But down in Gulf Shores AL there is a couple that does them custom for each unit. They install a track underneath the overhang and then the heavy duty vinyl just slides in. They also make a cover that goes over the pin box while making the skirt. Very professional looking and a bit on the pricy side. Last yr. it was $400.00

Dave
Where do you stay in Gulf Shores and who makes these skirts. We stay in Gulf State Park and will be down there in late November.
Mac-2 is offline   Reply With Quote