Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
TireMinder TPMS - my thoughts..

Well I purchased the TireMinder TMG400C-4 TPMS system from Camping World for $246.00. After installing it and then calling their support line to ask more questions, I now have a good understanding of how it works. I thought I would share a couple of things about the system.

The "Good"
- The sensor to receiver communications is at 433Mhz which means very few things in your truck / RV are going to interfere with it such as WiFi & GPS.
- The sensors are light weight and nicely designed. They just screw right in place of existing valve stem caps.
- The sensors use industry standard CR1632 batteries which are easy to replace.
- The receiver is small (smaller than my Android Smartphone) and has a display that is very easy to read even in full sun light.

The "Not so Good"
- The receiver appears to be "sealed" so I don't believe the manufacturer lets you change out that battery. (I couldn't find mention in the documentation)
- The receiver doesn't have an over charge circuit. This means that if you over charge your battery it will damage the battery. Don't leave it plugged in past full charge.
- While the sensors beacon or transmit their information multiple times a minute, the receiver only updates temperature and pressures every 20 minutes. This is is a serious downside in my opinion. I know why they do it -they are trying to preserve battery life in the receiver. The exception to this is blow outs or dramatic temp reduction. This information always triggers the display immediately.
- The receiver only displays "loss of signal" from the sensors every 20 minutes. To me this is the biggest fault of the system. Personally, I believe "loss of signal" should be as severe as losing pressure triggering the display immediately. This makes understanding if you need the booster device hard to determine. I finally just purchased it anyway.

I think it is an OK system but could stand some improvement around timeliness of updates and the over charge circuit on the receiver.

Regards,
Chris

cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am very surprised about the 20 minute update. I am on my first trip using my new TST TPMS. I can watch the pressures and temperatures change frequently as my speed increases/decreases. Also see temp changes as my direction changes and changes whether the sun is shining directly on the tires or they are shaded.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

I am very surprised about the 20 minute update. I am on my first trip using my new TST TPMS. I can watch the pressures and temperatures change frequently as my speed increases/decreases. Also see temp changes as my direction changes and changes whether the sun is shining directly on the tires or they are shaded.
Bill - I was as well. I asked the tech at TireMinder that question twice and got the same response. I have not been on an extended trip yet but will check it out on my next trip.

The "loss of signal" timing issue I have proven out. I can disconnect my trailer drive my truck a mile a way and it takes 20+ minutes to get the indicator. Definitely don't like that but I don't worry about it now that I have my booster installed.
cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
When you drive on a hot day and then into a thunderstorm or hail you can get a temperature warning due to the quick change in temperatures. Also the air pressure may decrease dramatically back toward the cold readings. Something to be aware of in the mountains or with hail. It has happened to me twice now in three years. Little bit of a shock when it first goes off on a twisty narrow mountain road.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Good information Chris!

We have traveled with our TPMS system extensively and found that once the system initiates, meaning it has received data from each sensor (which can take up to 10minutes after turning it on) it will update the temperature and the PSI every cycle. A cycle on our model, I believe is every 5 minutes, but if anything changes drastically during that time it forces an automatic notification. On the 507 model it says the sensors transmit new data every 5 minutes.

The one thing I do not like is that it has to complete a cycle...you can't select a particular tire you want the information on. So for example, when we were filling our tires to our preferred PSI we had to wait for it go through the complete cycle to tell us what the new PSI was. Took a while that way. However, once we got the system locked in we LOVE IT!

Occasionally it will lose signal from one tire (usually the spare), and it will take about 10 minutes to pick it back up. Supposedly the brand new models do allow the user to change the battery in the monitor itself and read the sensors more frequently.

Sometimes it can be frustrating when you buy a new model, and then 6 months later you now have the outdated model! Oh well!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

Good information Chris!

The one thing I do not like is that it has to complete a cycle...you can't select a particular tire you want the information on. So for example, when we were filling our tires to our preferred PSI we had to wait for it go through the complete cycle to tell us what the new PSI was. Took a while that way. However, once we got the system locked in we LOVE IT!

I have the TST TPMS and it allows you to scroll to any tire you want to check without waiting for it to cycle.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The polling interval has got to be similar for other systems in order to preserve the batteries. I wonder what the intervals are with Pressure Pro, TST and other brands. At least, with TST you can force the reading from what WeBeFulltime reports. I could probably live with it knowing these facts with any system. When you think about it, you just want a warning with a drastic change so the polling interval may be a non-issue and this is available all the time.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
I have the "TireMinder TMG400C Tire Pressure Monitoring System" as well. But I carefully read the instructions.

Have no fear:

As soon as a tire monitor experiences a change a fault, it will immediately be sent to the receiver with a red LED warning and a flashing indicator letting one know which tire is no longer compliant.

Damn the 20 minutes. . .full speed ahead.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
When I remove the tire sensor the beeper signal goes off immediately on my TST. Couldnot be happier with ours.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:11 AM   #10
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Art,

The interval with Pressure Pro is 5 minutes.

I have had this system for almost seven years and finally exchanged the sensors for new ones.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote