Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2004, 06:54 PM   #1
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Axle/Tire Update

As many of you know we had to have the axle and spring reinstalled due to being installed improperly at the factory causing inside tire wear. We had talked to customer service for both the problems and they said they would reimburse us. Just wanted to let you all know that we received the check from Keystone and couldn't be more pleased with them standing behind their product.

I still feel that there needs to be more quality control to keep problems down. With so many of us having the axle/tire problems that is something they really need to address but at least they are taking care of the problems with both tires and axles other than the alignment for basic care. They also need to make the dealer aware to at least check after the transporters have delivered the unit before a sale is made or before they turn the unit over to a buyer giving them the problem that goes undetected.

Hats off to Keystone!

Safe travels.
Lorraine

ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 08:40 PM   #2
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for sharing you good fortune with Keystone. Keystone has a good reputation for honoring their products. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 01:50 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
10-4 on finding a way for dealers to check when the transporter drops it off. Alko-Kober showed me we had a bent shock absorber. I knew that, it was that way when we took delivery (or at least next day when I crawled under) but it was working fine so didn't worry about it. Now I have to wonder if whatever the transporter hit damaged the axles or through them out of alignment somehow. If there's ever a new FW again I will have to find some way to have the axle checked by a reputable shop before signing paperwork.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 05:16 PM   #4
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
I agree Steve - we learned alot with this purchase and would crawl under and go through everything before we signed any paperwork. We also found out when we had the axles checked and fixed that one shock absorber was bent - this we feel has been on the unit before we got it but of course you know how that goes with "buyer beware" so the cost falls to us now.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
Old 10-24-2004, 01:53 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
ragdoll,

Please don't take offense, as none is meant, but if the dealers cannot show their customers where the galley pull is (to dump the galley water), it makes us wonder if they are qualified to study our axles and shocks and all that good stuff UNDER our rigs and tell us it is OK, or NOT!!

Also, Keystone puts on axles provided by an outside vendor, Al Ko Kobler, or Dexter, or whomever. If this vendor provides great products we are all happy, if not?????????

We are thrilled for you to have received that $$ tho!! Congrats!

And congrats to Keystone for stepping up to the plate, AGAIN!

Keystone really is customer "driven", don't you think?????
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:58 PM   #6
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
CountryGuy - no offense taken, you are right though - most don't know their head from a hole in the ground - our dealer doesn't deal with axle problems at all and said nothing was wrong, they haul them to the guy that fixed our rig. We had to find out on our own as most all did about the tanks, pulls etc.....even out breaker panel they didn't know where it was! Oh well, life goes on and we all learn from experience or each other.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
Old 10-26-2004, 02:01 PM   #7
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
I'm still battling the problem. The dealer comment was "We rarely have axle problems. Maybe once a year". The problem is that if you are just a part-timer you don't pull enough to see the problem until after the warranty expires. And I think those involved know this. I have learned one interesting tidbit that just heightened the problem and derailed their "overloading" excuse. On the axles there is a metal strap tag (I have a 01 2850RK). While the sticker states that they are 4400# axles, the model number (on the metal tag) says model T52. That means they are actually 5200# axles! Also the Al-Ko people told me that a 5200# axle also has a 3" OD and the 4400# has a 2 3/8" OD. That tends to shoot their "overload" theory in the foot. Any assistance anyone can give me as to how they got their problem solved would be appreciated. I'm hitting a wall so far.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote