Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
GRHooper
Established Member

M.O.C. #10295
Gray tank buildup?

My message center says that one of my gray water tanks is 2/3 or 3/4 full yet, when I drain it, I do so until nothing more comes out of the tank. I'm assuming that the problem could be some sort of buildup in the tank that affects the sensor and reading. Does anyone know how I either: 1) get to the tank so that I can spray it out, or, 2) flush clean water through the system? I'm assuming that I just keep pouring water through the shower, for example, until I'm able to drain it completely and the message center shows empty?

GRHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The sensors are notorious for not working properly.The sensors are no doubt dirty and it is doubtful that you will ever get them to work no matter what you try. Most of us ignore them. We dump the galley tank when it backs up in the sink and the gray tank when the wife yells..I am in water up to my ankles in the shower. part of the joys of Rv'ing. Note.. the galley tank because of food particle's that will get down there can be just as nasty and smelly as the black tank. Get your self a screen for the drains in the sink and do good flushes on the galley tank.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
you can use a Flush King type attachement that hooks onto the sewer pipe outside. You hook a hose to the flushking and close it's valve and then open your grey tank valve. The water has only one place to go and that is back up into your grey tank flushing/cleaning it.
This may or may not solve your problem. The guages are pretty much useless in my opinion. I think mine worked for about the first month. The problem with the guages/sensors is not just a Keystone issue but is accross the board in the RV industry.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The problem seems to be caused by sludge or film that forms on the sides of the tanks that causes the sensors to conduct even when the tanks are empty. Maybe the fact they don't work right is the way for us to know we need to do a better job of cleaning the tanks. But sometimes we want to conserve water. Oh well.

Here's a couple of links that help describe the problem and a redesigned product (Horst miracle probe) that allows these sensors to be more reliable. I think there have been a couple of members who have posted success with them.

http://horstmiracleprobes.com/ & http://www.rvprobes.com/buyprobes.html

Other than the difficulty of installing them and it's extra cost (slightly cheaper in volume) I wish the RV manufacturers would use them since the existing technology is so unreliable.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote