Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
roof antenna dumps

Ok.. this is a good one for all the Monty owner's out there..
It rained pretty good yesterday afternoon.. it had stopped about 6 p.m. last night.. and everything was good no leaks.. I got up this a.m. and made coffee and tea..Tea for the DW... She got of bed and warmed up her tea.. 5 minutes later she went back in the bedroom and her side of the bed was all wet... she called me in there.. I looked up at the antenna and there was water dripping from it.. about 14 hrs. after it had stopped raining.. Went up on the roof and everything looks good.. no gaps in the seal around the antenna..
Has anyone else out there had this problem???
lfw

lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
lfw,
I could see this happening as you describe it if that rubber boot where the coax goes through is lifted or not sealed good. You did say you checked everything at the antenna and it appears to be sealed up.

Another thought is rain entered someplace else on the roof and traveled to where the antenna comes through the ceiling. You might want to do a close inspection of the sealant and caulking at all the joints in the area of the antenna.

Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
That makes sense.. but it would drip and drip.. not like you opened a valve to the bottom of the antenna... Check the boot.. and it was still sealed.. even pulled the antenna apart from inside the bedroom.. no insulation was wet..
lfw..
Old 08-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We had the drip problem once but it was the boot that had come up. I know that doesn't help you.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
This is not good, but I believe you have a leak that allowed a lot of water to collect in one spot until it forced something to give way - hence the sudden dump of water. As someone pointed out, it may be leaking at the antenna. It may be leaking elsewhere and traveling to that spot, but the antenna is where I would start. In fact, given your trailer is 2 or 3 years old, have you ever checked and resealed all the caulking on it?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:49 AM   #6
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Tom S.
I checked all the caulking and it still looks good.. I did take the antenna apart in the bedroom.. there is a very small leak that is coming down the antenna cable. It rained again last night.. just a couple drops of water came down the antenna cable. Going to recheck the caulking again today. Reseal the boot on the wire.
Thanks for the info..
lfw
Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
One thought on this. I had a minor leak some years ago. My trailer was about 6 years old and water came in ONLY when we had a heavy rain. I disassembled the antenna and found that the water could not drain away fast enough and ended up over running the seal in the antenna. This seal is a metal lip on the base which extends into the top part of the antenna base. To prevent further problems I placed a thick bead of grease along the lip so it would "fill the gap" when the top part of the base was replaced. The antenna seemed to move a little more easily and I never had water leaking again. We had several rather heavy rains without a problem. Hope that helps.

KT
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Slufoot733
That sounds like a good idea about putting the bead of grease along the lip..
It has rained a couple of times since it dumped all the water.. so far just a little leak on the cable..
With all the seal they have on top of the antenna base I can see where it might hold some water up there around the base of the antenna where it turns..
Not sure why it would take about 14 hrs before it decided to dump on DW side of the bed.. I am thankful it did not happen while she was sleeping.. I am sure she would have woke me up....With a few choice words.. Very strange for sure..
Will give your suggestion a try...
Thanks..
lfw
Old 08-24-2010, 04:11 AM   #9
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
Take a look at your Winegard installation manual. The elevating shaft has an o-ring that can become brittle if not lubicated and cause a leak (pg 4) On page 6, It is PN RP-4000 Last page of manual tells how to replace Could be a possibility.
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
To expand on what Winter Texan is talking about, there is a very small rubber plug, located on the base of the antenna. Gently remove that plug and spray some silicon down there about twice a year. It helps keep that o-ring plyable.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Just a thought, instead of using grease or silicone, vaseline would also work....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote