Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2004, 11:44 AM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
State Park Stickers

We plan on visiting at least 5 states and most likely will stay a nite or two in a state park. Can anyone tell me if one has to buy a State Park
sticker for each state or will they permit over nite camping without one?
Looking at Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:11 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've used state parks recently in both South Dakota and Kansas. In both you can pay a daily park entrance fee or buy an annual permit. Since we use a state park when we visit my family in Kansas we bought the annual sticker. It was cheaper that way, given the number of nights we will use that park this year. I'd bet most, if not all, states work the same way. But, of course, that's a guess.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
syplace,

Each state probably has a great web site, try a search of something like, "TexasDNR" ??

anyway, Texas, you can stay without a year sticker, we stayed near Sealy Texas, nice park, fee was $17.00 a night for FULL hookups (first state park we had ever stayed in with FULL hookups), but, they nailed ya for $3.00 per head per night IF you didn't have that yearly sticker.

The sites were great, LONG, pull in parking for ALL, we were there in early February, so it was pretty quiet.

We would go back!!

Have a great trip!!

Cheers and Happy Trails

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:42 PM   #4
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We do have an annual sticker for GA because it takes only a few visits to make it worth the $$. Many states (including GA) offer a discount for seniors or military (active or retired with ID). We have found the GA State Parks have wonderful campsites. We especially liked Fort McAllister (just outside Savanah). Our state parks have electric & water but no sewer hook-up. All have dumping stations. Am sure some members from other states will respond to your question. If you choose not to buy the annual sticker in GA you just pay an additional daily fee for park use.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 05:31 AM   #5
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Most parks in most states offer you camping with electric only (from what we have found) and you can stay for under $20 per night. Plus if you don't have the annual sticker you pay a $5 per day entrance fee (or whatever amount) which usually ends up being about 4 days of the per day entrance fee. You have to weigh the cost of both and then pick which is more cost effective since most of the time we are non-residents.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 05:40 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Nearly all state parks in Kansas have both electricity and water at most all sites. A few have some with sewer hookups but those are relatively rare. For w/e it's 15.50 per night. The daily entrance fee is 5.00, or 45.50 for the annual pass. These rates are all significantly higher than last year. Buy the annual pass before 4/15 and it's either 10 or 20 dollars cheaper (forgot which, i was too late). All Kansas state parks I've seen have at least one dump station. There are some very nice state park campgrounds in Kansas. Prairie Dog State Park out around (Norton?) in NW Kansas even has satellite dishes at each campsite in one of the campgrounds. You need to rent or have your own receiver, though. The guy who donated the dishes has a business in town. He will rent you the receiver.

Corps of Engineer parks (there are quite a few) in Kansas have electricity. Some have water but most do not. The ones I've seen have a dump station either in that CG or nearby. It's been awhile since we used one of these so I don't know the current rates.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:58 AM   #7
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Nearly all state parks in Kansas have both electricity and water at most all sites. A few have some with sewer hookups but those are relatively rare. For w/e it's 15.50 per night. The daily entrance fee is 5.00, or 45.50 for the annual pass. These rates are all significantly higher than last year. Buy the annual pass before 4/15 and it's either 10 or 20 dollars cheaper (forgot which, i was too late). All Kansas state parks I've seen have at least one dump station. There are some very nice state park campgrounds in Kansas. Prairie Dog State Park out around (Norton?) in NW Kansas even has satellite dishes at each campsite in one of the campgrounds. You need to rent or have your own receiver, though. The guy who donated the dishes has a business in town. He will rent you the receiver.

Corps of Engineer parks (there are quite a few) in Kansas have electricity. Some have water but most do not. The ones I've seen have a dump station either in that CG or nearby. It's been awhile since we used one of these so I don't know the current rates.
WOW! That's awesome! None of the state parks around us have sewer hook-up or even water. They so have a dump station where you can fill your water tanks also so that's handy. Our park sticker is $20 per year and the sites I believe are less than $15 but cost more because of the reservation fee of $8.50.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:55 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I forgot to mention that the sites are generally very spacious in most of the KS state parks (not all) and most are well-shaded. Tuttle Creek State Park near Manhattan, KS, is where we stay when visiting my folks. It's one of my favorite state parks.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:47 PM   #9
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Oregon state parks have full hookups and depending upon the season you can stay for as little as $12 per night. The summer season average is about $20. MOst have electric and water with a section offering full hookups. If you are camping in the park you do not have to pay the entrance fee. There are some of the state parks with cable TV in one section. Harris Beach in Brookings, just north of the CA border has a section with cable TV. We have reservations for Thanksgiving weekend this year You can make reservations through Reserve America and can find information on the parks with park maps and information at www.oregonstateparks.org
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:01 PM   #10
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the great info. Something to think about when visiting state parks. Happy rving...
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote