Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
May I say something?

We live in close quarters in our Montanas. That proximity can ruffle feelings from time to time, especially for the newly retired or the newly full timing couple. There is an adjustment period as you each determine gender roles and domestic territories.

I own guns, so I am not anti-gun. But I do have some counsel for gun owners, especially hand gun owners. If either of you have a history of violent behavior or know that, in all honesty, you are hot-headed. Put that gun in a place you can't easily get at it.

Tired fussy people with the propensity for allowing the escalation of anger in a relationship added to a little alcohol can have a devastating outcome. Guns, alcohol, and irrational anger sets an environment ripe for a killing. No one is immune.

"He who has ears to hear, let him hear"

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
As a Domestic Violence Sexual Assault Program Coordinator/Advocate, I couldn't have said it better. I provide services to individuals who have been in the "what in the heck happened here" situation. You just never know.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Whoa! Stiles is the rain up in WA getting to you? Just kidding but has something happened to bring out this informative post? I'm certain it wasn't you or Dianna.

See you later.
Dennis

ON EDIT: OK. After reading another post I think I know where the message came from. Glad the trial ordeal is over and you're back home in WA! DH
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Opps! does this mean I'm in trouble?
I'm a class "A" personality, so others tell me. and I do own a few long guns, wheel guns and some auto pistols along with some shot guns. I have got very angry a few times in my life, but the thought of solving the problem with a pistol or another type weapon scares the dickens out of me. I carry for only two reason, survial in a catastrophe and home protection, which I hope never happens. the rest of my guns and riffles are for sport and target practice.
If a person has ever thought of using a weapon to solve a problem in a rant of anger He or she should not have one at all.
This is my oppion, others might disagree.

Don
Old 09-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Stiles: When I saw your topic heading the first thing I thought was "Who is going to stop you from saying whatever you want". LOL
In Canada we are not allowed to carry weapons around like they do in Texas or some other States, but if the weapon is accessible anything can happen. Good advice.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:54 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Years ago, when a friend of mine was going through a nasty divorce, he was afraid that his wife would accuse him of threatening her with his gun. He went to the Sheriff's Department and had them hold his gun for him until the divorce was over. She did call the Sheriff on him one night and told them that he was threatening her with it. That's when she found out that they had the gun. They charged her with filing a false police report and it kept him from getting arrested.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:09 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And, if you are a veteran of any conflict or war and you are suffering from PTSD, do not even have the gun in the same room as you are sleeping in. Under PTSD conditions you can load and fire a weapon before you snap out of it.

Thanks Stiles.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:53 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Excellent advice, for sure if you have little ones in the home any weapon should be secure. Good advice on carrying weapons in Canada, have crossed the border many times as was always ask did we have a weapon, and yes for sure if you have a Military sticker on the Truck you will be ask several times, my suggestion is don't take a weapon to Canada. We are going to Two Rivers RV park in Nashville Tn this morning and yes all long and short weapons are on board. You have to ask am I capable of using deadly force with a deadly weapon if the answer is no, you shouldn't own a weapon. The only reason for pulling a weapon is to take a life. Its your right to protect your loved ones and yourself. Thats my opinion, and mine only. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:44 AM   #9
otto0813
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5620
This is a serious subject, but to lighten it up a bit, let me add: living in the RV for your first time full-timing while building a new home by yourselves is, to say the least, quite a test. Therefore, a good idea to hide the guns and remember you really do love each other at the end of a day of wiring electricity and arguing about where each light fixture goes!
otto0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
As an instructor for the NRA, I agree and can firmly state that alcohol and guns do NOT mix and should NEVER be in proximity to one another.

I also (somewhat) agree with the "hot-headed" part of the posting, with the caveat that, if you EVER thought of using a gun to solve a non-life-threatening situation you should not have one in the first place.

As far as a violent person, guns are a no-no.

I must admit that I lose my temper frequently, but am always in control enough to not cause more than psychological damage (which is more than enough of a problem in most cases.) I have, however, NEVER thought of using a gun of any type to "solve" (read in "greatly exacerbate") a situation. I possess and carry firearms for protection of self and others and for no other use except hunting and practice.

Quote: "Tired fussy people with the propensity for allowing the escalation of anger in a relationship added to a little alcohol can have a devastating outcome. Guns, alcohol, and irrational anger sets an environment ripe for a killing. No one is immune." --- I totally agree.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Hey guys...if you a propensity for violence, it's just not guns you need to worry about. What about hunting knives, kitchen knives, hammers, gasoline, etc. etc. What I am trying to point out - it's the individual that's the problem not the tool! A hard situation to control and manage as many are walking that line of over reacting. I have guns, bows, knives and I have never ever thought of using them for anything else but sporting activities. How do you know what's in an individuals mind and personality? I don't think this topic should be focused as a gun owning issue it's much more complicated.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The topic is focused on the poor management of emotions in relationships. You are correct in saying that many objects can be used as weapons of violence. However a knee jerk reaction to the mention of guns is off topic in my opinion.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote