Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Mor/Ryde Suspension problem

I don't remember seeing this problem in the MOC site before so any ideas to rectify the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Today was the day to do the underside inspection that I have been putting off for some time now. Glad I did because I found that one on my Mor/Ryde rubber equalizer suspension assemblies was destroyed.

Please use the "short form" to post long links. Thank you, RVWheels.

Here is the right side:
Link removed because it causes scrolling in some machines.

and here is the left side"
Link removed because it causes scrolling in some machines.

My rig is now 2 months out of warranty and as we are on the road (Ennis, Montana) not sure how far I should pull the rig without getting it fixed. Any thoughts?

I sent an email to Mor/Ryde today (Sunday) but not sure how long it will take them to get back to me and I can't find anything about a warranty for them either with my Montana stuff or for them on line.

Happy camping
Dick

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
rldriver, I have seen this before. I don't remember for sure but I think Mor/Ryde took care of the problem. I have dealt with Mor/Ryde before and never had a problem. Have been to the Mor/Ryde place in Elkhart Ind. and had Disk brakes installed. We had a Cambridge before and had the same suspension. I wish I could remember who to talk to but I would call Mor/Ryde in Elkhart and ask for Gary he will direct you to who you need to talk to. Also have your Vin number on hand just in case. Good Luck... GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Wow, thanks for the heads up on this. How may miles do you have on the rig? Please, post the procedure and outcome of your efforts to deal with this. I would sure like to know what preventative measures we might take if any.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Wow, thanks for the heads up on this. How may miles do you have on the rig? Please, post the procedure and outcome of your efforts to deal with this. I would sure like to know what preventative measures we might take if any.
Stiles,our log indicates we have just about 3000 miles on the Montana and I will post the outcome with what pictures I can get.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I had my suspicions about that technology . I'm really sorry to see that. Hope they pick up the fix for you.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If I remember correctly Dave Sprik had the same problem and Morryde took care of it. I wouldn't wait for a response to email, I would be on the phone first thing in the morning
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Dick, I can't access those pictures, the link doesn't seem to work.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David,
They are in a broken string because of width. I copied and pasted the entire link in pieces and got it.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
David
RVWheels modified my post and I just changed it so it would work again. You can also try 4 pictures
and it should take you to all 4 pictures.

Please note that anytime a posting causes some systems to scroll it will be altered or removed. Please correct any posting that causes such problems. Simply reposting a problem link is NOT acceptable.

Thank you.

RVWheels

Happy camping and enjoy Alaska
Dick
Old 07-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Yep, that was me. My 3400 was 6 mos out of warranty (last Nov). Doesn't make any difference. You had what is called a "bond failure" - rubber separates from the metal.

Apparently happens "1 out of every 500 times or so" during the mfring process, according to the Mor/Ryde rep I talked to. Not sure that was a valid figure though, as I have been on this forum for more than a few months, and I had never heard of this happening.

They will send you to the closest facility approved by them - mine was in Orlando - and they will ship the part to them and they will install and bill Mor/Ryde for the labor. It took about 45 minutes to replace at a huge truck frame and axle repair facility. I just had to round trip the rig 44 miles at my expense (didn't push them on this though). No out of pocket expense (except for diesel).

They told me I could drive it like that with no harm being done, but it will lean slightly. They said not to be concerned about that. A phone call as suggested above is definitely the best way to get the ball rolling.

Here is my topic, Dick. Could be of some use to you. Bond Failure
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:49 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Was with Dave when he had the replacement done..And can confirm the 1 in about 500 statement. Also that it was not a rig stopper.. Inspection has been on my routine checklist since that time.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:35 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich rode up with me to Josam Frame and Axle, Mor/Ryde's authorized repair facility in Orlando. 1 in 500. Dick, you are one of the lucky ones. Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket? I tried. Didn't work...
Old 07-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Dick,
How did you make out with your problem, were you able to get it repaired?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:10 AM   #14
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Final report...

The rubber bond to the steel failed on one side completely.

I left a message on a Sunday with Gary Wheeler at Mor/Ryde, he had Doug Hurshburger handle it. I received a call from Doug on Monday. As I was going to be in Missoula in a few days he gave me two choices of repair places. He sent the part 2nd day air to Hegan Welding. I contacted them and made arrangements for the fix. Hegan Welding would not bill Mor/Ryde so I paid for the repair, $164.00, and have sent the invoice to Mor/Ryde via email for payment yesterday.

I have not heard back about reimbursement so if I have a problem I will post again here.

I can now look in the rear view mirror and see that the Monty is going down the road vertical.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:37 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dick, They should have billed Mor/Ryde for the labor. You should not have had that out of pocket expense. I would make sure you let Mor/Ryde know that, while you are happy about the repair, you are not happy that a Mor/Ryde authorized repair facility didn't trust Mor/Ryde enough to bill them direct.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #16
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Dick, They should have billed Mor/Ryde for the labor. You should not have had that out of pocket expense. I would make sure you let Mor/Ryde know that, while you are happy about the repair, you are not happy that a Mor/Ryde authorized repair facility didn't trust Mor/Ryde enough to bill them direct.
I agree Dave but no big thing and Mor/Ryde is now aware of what happened. I talked to Mor/Ryde today and they will have a check in the mail this week. All I wanted to do was get it fixed and get out of town. It was windy in Missoula with lots of dust and dirt blowing around. We went to the top of Lolo pass and spent the night in cool clean air.

Happy camping,
Dick
Old 07-17-2008, 08:56 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I went to one of Mor-Rydes "authorized dealers" to get an estimate for retrofitting the Mor-Ryde on my 2003 Monty. I didn't just walk away, I ran.

Authorized to Mor-Ryde means "willing". The shop said they were on the list because they repaired a guys suspension once and ordered parts through Mor-Ryde.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

I went to one of Mor-Rydes "authorized dealers" to get an estimate for retrofitting the Mor-Ryde on my 2003 Monty. I didn't just walk away, I ran.

Authorized to Mor-Ryde means "willing". The shop said they were on the list because they repaired a guys suspension once and ordered parts through Mor-Ryde.
Sounds like a pretty rigorous and lengthy qualification process to be an "Authorized Repair Facility" for Mor/Ryde.

Josam Frame and Axle of Orlando was great - on the other end of the spectrum from some of these other guys.