Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Reese 16K Hitch Pin

First, I tightened up the nuts on the bolts to my Reese 16K hitch this morning before taking Hanna to the dealer for toilet replacement. They did turn, but they were Nyla Nuts, so they should be ok! If I decide to change the out I will go with regular nuts with RED Thread Lock.

Second - When I remove the hitch system from the TV I do it in two parts. I remove the 1-1/2 inch pin that holds the 5th to the bed mount, and then remove the bed mount. I reverse the procedure to install the hitch back into the TV On the 1-1/2 inch pin after it goes through the system, there is a small pin with a "ring clip," that snaps in place to hold the pin in. Well, it snapped in two places as I was putting the hitch in. I had the ring piece in one hand and the pin in the other.

It had come out of the offset holes in the locking pin. I was able to get it back in using a vice and pliers, but it appeared weak so I tie wrapped it for the short ride to the dealer.

At the dealer I saw a package of two hanging on the wall and immediately purchased the replacement. The Dealer said that the do get weak after awhile if you take them on and off. Of course, I use my TV for other than just pulling Hanna, so having a spare in the glove box is going to be a must.

Check your safety pin and just give it an index finger tug to make sure the ring is tight against the pin.

Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about:

Hitch from tailgate side. Notice tie wrap for one trip of 12 miles. Pin is "almost" in same position as when I started. It moved from straight up and down to where you see it now. This is after the trip. I felt safe for this short run.

Pins still in package.

Close-up of Hitch pin lock

Note: pictures reduced to requested size - RBS

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I never thought that the pin would turn in such a short distance or the click pin becoming loose. How many times of installing and disassembly did it take to become loose????
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:53 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hugh,
Less than a dozen times.

The back of that is a rectangular piece of metal. I have seen a post in another thread but I am not sure if they are talking about the same pin as I am. When looking at the back of the hitch I can see where that rectangular piece of iron has scratched the paint off by rotating in the pin hole. Me thinks me needs to call Reese and ask questions. (Grammar on purpose)
Old 04-12-2008, 04:58 AM   #4
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Just MHO but I have used pins like that for years on the farm and have never had one break or weaken. These are used constantly in heavy, dirty work. Maybe a trip to Tractor Supply in order to get some designed for work rather than low bid. Bob

PS They do get lost because I hang them on things when not in use and they seed themselves around the farm. None have sprouted though.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Bob,
Thanks for the info on Tractor Supply. I'll look into a few of their pins like this. I was surprised when the ring snapped off the pin.

RamBigSky,
I thought (there I go thinking again) that since it was a link to an image that the size was not important as long as it did not overlap the page. Apparently I was [s]wrong[/s]mistaken. Thanks.