Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
When did the kids quit vacationing with parents?

Hi everyone. When did your kids quit vacationing with you?

Let me first say I'm thrilled they still want to go with us. Camping, flying or driving to destinations it doesn't matter.
The question is: Can we come?

I was always told that when kids were teenagers or older they would never want to be around their parents. Not mine (son 22 & daughter 19). Our camping trips have become family and extended family (dates & friends) events. Cruise to Alaska, we just started talking about and they were in. The only trip they don't come with is our bi-annual Orlando business trip. This May or June we'll be going on our first Yellowstone excursion (2 weeks). Kids and dates are tentatively coming. 6 people 2 vehicles & 1 tent for possible use. Fuel is going to be a large expense. Lets hope the economy picks up and fuel prices drop.
Just wondering what your experiences have been,
Chuck

lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Ours still vacation with us. We can't even sneak out of town without them finding us now that we carry cell phones.

In January the daughter (age 21) planned a trip for me & her to Seattle for the 3-day weekend of MLK. We lucked out with awesome weather up there, while it rained here in sunny California.

Hubby and I took the Montana out to the beach on our 3-day President's Day weekend a week ago and the kids showed up later that night with our son's (son is 23) girlfriend in tow.

I have a 3-day weekend coming up near the end of March and our daughter is already planning a "road trip" with me. It could involve taking the Montana, driving the car, riding a train or flying somewhere.

I chock it up to being "neat and groovy" [s]open wallets[/s] parents.

You should too.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

Ours still vacation with us. We can't even sneak out of town without them finding us now that we carry cell phones.

In January the daughter (age 21) planned a trip for me & her to Seattle for the 3-day weekend of MLK. We lucked out with awesome weather up there, while it rained here in sunny California.

Hubby and I took the Montana out to the beach on our 3-day President's Day weekend a week ago and the kids showed up later that night with our son's (son is 23) girlfriend in tow.

I have a 3-day weekend coming up near the end of March and our daughter is already planning a "road trip" with me. It could involve taking the Montana, driving the car, riding a train or flying somewhere.

I chock it up to being "neat and groovy" [s]open wallets[/s] parents.

You should too.
This an absolute fact, cell phones.
I pay the bill on our 4, and have the plan to handle all the minutes & texting.

I think the "open wallet" may be a portion, but they do always tell their friends where they've been. Well rounded - traveled kids.

We are proud of them, just still amazed that they want to travel with us.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
As ours got older, 19 and over, they don't go too much with us in the trailer, but they do find us and "show up".

I think they just like to be independent and want to drive their own cars.

But if we plan an out of State trip ( which we hardly do ) then they are sure to want to be included.

But times are fast changing....daughter has moved out of Calif State.She moved to Wyoming, so now we are planning to vacation this summer at Yellowstone, which she will probably meet us there.

Son is doing his first year with the Airforce, so his schedule is very limited right now.

Answering your question when did they stop vacationing with you? When they got driver license and boy/girl friends. And when they need to pay their own bills....LOL!
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:38 AM   #5
gloriad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #599
My daughter is 40 and she still loves to go when she can!
gloriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:48 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We vacation with our daughters (not in the Montana). We have enjoyed several cruises with daughter & son-in-law. Same daughter camped for many years with us at the Wine & Balloon festival. Daughter just turned 50 last July (I started young! LOL). Another daughter and family (3 kids + his 2) and us spent a wonderful time in the gold country several years ago. They in a motel, we in our RV. The girls and I have made several road trips also. Enjoying your adult children is the reward you receive for all the years of raising them.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:00 AM   #7
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Kids and grandkids tag along at least once a year, thats the easy part. Last year we had our 80-90 year old parents out for a few days too.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #8
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Our kids and grandkids love to camp when we camp. They have their own campers now and we all go together for the majority of our trips. Then they invite their friends who also have campers and we've frequently had upwards of 7 campers together. Great family fun.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:28 AM   #9
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Our kids are grown up and have their own families now but we still go long weekend camping together at least three times a year. It great, we get see them and enjoy the grandchildren while pursuing our favorite pasttime. One has a pop-up and the other a tent so it is like going back in time for us because thats the way we started out.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote