Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2007, 04:21 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Furnace problem???

This has happened several times now over the last 2 months and now qualifies as a "significant issue" The furnace or should I say thermostat will go into the "off" mode for no reason.It does not lose power, just goes into " off mode" Hitting the mode button and going to "furnace " mode and all is normal. Till the next time.We are in Arizona so it does not get real cold (51 last night in the camper) However..Helen's beloved bird is a " Tropical bird" we keep the temp set at 70 degree's for the bird. Tropical birds do not do well in low temps . If something should happen to Helen's beloved bird ..Helen would be very unhappy and if Helen is unhappy ..Rich is unhappy..so Significant Issue #19 is added to our Service center repair list. Anyone else experience this problem???

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:09 AM   #2
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
i have noticed the same event with mine Rich but I thought it was the "lousy" remote thermostat that I can't get them to replace.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:42 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the "new" Duo Therm" Comfort Control.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Rich, is the thermostat battery operated? I know that on the hunter that I put into our 3280, if the battery dies it will go into "off" mode, and resetting will give you heat mode and run for that one cycle only. Just a thought
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm..I don't know..I will look at the book although when we reset it it holds for much longer than 1 cycle..Thanks for the suggestion....Like I always say 2 or 3 hundred heads are better than one..
Old 02-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Richfaa,

This is one problem we have not had in our 3400RL. At least not that we are aware of. I'm not aware of it being a seperate battery powered thermostat so it has to be powered by the RV's 12 V supply so you might want to check if you have a loose or intermittent connection somewhere, probably right at the thermostat itself. Possibly heating and cooling is causing a connection to make or break.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
richfaa,
Have not experienced the same problem, but have only had the CCC in place now for about a month. In answer to rickety, the CCC is driven by the coach battery and not an internal battery to the CCC.

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:36 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I also suspect a intermittent voltage hit but where would you begin to look.. It may well be a result of the "melt down" we had a couple of 12V things that have failed since then...It is one our "service center repair list" Item number 19.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, this is a longshot. If your thermostat is like ours, the wire connection is via a telephone type connector on the back. Pop the thermostat off the wall and you'll see what I mean. I wonder if the plug is not properly seated (it snaps in just like a telephone jack) or if there is a loose connection in the plug itself.

When we had our furnace problem the mobile service guy told me the wiring goes up into the AC unit area in the ceiling and that most of the wiring problems he's seen are in that area. I have not seen this for myself but it might be one place to look. I assume this wiring might be visible by dropping the AC cover on the ceiling.

Perhaps you could get a Montana dealer to loan you a new thermostat to try.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #10
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Rich,
Steve I think hit the problem. Loose wire nuts up in the AC for the thermostat connections can cause an intermittent thermostat problem to occur. Those are the two thin wires with grey wire nuts. When changing the relay control from the Remote Thermostat to the CCC, the wire nut from one of those wires fell off in my hand as soon as I touched the wire. There wasn't much holding that splice together. I am surprised I didn't have intermittent problems myself.
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
See..several heads are better than one. I am holding the thermostat in my hand as we speak..one contact does not look right in the phone type jack. I just happen to have ckt board tool kit with me..They look a lot like dentist tools and most of them are. Will also take a look up in the A/C unit. My guess is that a light touch on the thermostat unit..like to check or change the temp could nudge it loose..Love this forum...