Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2007, 06:16 AM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Failed Black Water Tank

We're in Fresno, CA at the present time. We had been noticing what we knew to be black water leaking out the bottom of the rig. I had removed the underbelly to check it but couldn't find the leak. Yesterday morning when we left our camping spot and pulled up to the dump, the black water was really leaking. So, we dumped and cleaned up the mess and went to Central Valley Repair Service in Fresno. They immediately went to work and cut out the black water tank. Lo and behold, the entire top edge of the tank had broken loose and every time the rig was moved the "stuff" sloshed up through the crack. We're presently waiting for a tank to be shipped in from Los Angeles.

They also found a leak in the drain from the galley to the galley tank which they repaired.

Marge took pictures of the tank and I will post them as soon as she gets them downloaded from her camera. We're staying at a friends house here in Fresno and her cable to download is in the rig.

BTW, Central Valley Repair Service does not sell RVs. They only repair them. The owner said he saw a need several years ago for a shop that did nothing but repairs and didn't get involved in sales, although they have been asked several times to do it. But his discussion with me made me feel that he would succeed greatly if he also sold them and gave the service he's giving us.

More to come...
Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:57 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Orv..You have a 2000 Montana. If your tank is installed the same way they are now it took a very long time and a lot of miles for the tank to seperate. We took picturs of the tank install at the factory and thought at the time that it would be "a matter of time" before the tank failed.We are actually impressed that it held up as long as it did..not that it will make you feel any better about the mess and inconvience. It is also another reason why I, like you, choose to have the extended Warranty.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Haven't had a problem with the black or galley tank, but we did have a problem with the gray tank last year. It was cracked near the opening to the drain pipe. Our dealer replaced the tank over the summer. Had no problems since. Knock on wood.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Sorry to hear about your problem with the black tank, from my previous post we also had tghe dreaded Blank Tank leak.
The problem is when you find the problem, you really don't know how long you have had the problem.
With the way they have the aluminum insulation sheet attached and the panels screwed in, a tank leak can not show up till it is a major leak.
QUESTION???
Why is the water tank made of a thicker plastic then the holding tanks????
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Well, the leaking black water tank saga is over. New one installed by Central Valley RV Service in Fresno, CA. Total cost was $914 and I only had to pay the $50 deductible. As the technician was working, he saw a couple other places where there was some slight leaks, one on the low point of the fresh water tank, one on the fill on the top of the fresh water tank, and one in the drain line from the galley sink where the pipe had pulled back, allowing water to seep out. I though they went way beyond the norm with what they did. And, by the way, they removed three panels from the underbelly and when they replace them they used fender washers under the head of all the bolts! How's that for service.

I highly recommend this business for their repair service. They do not sell RVs. The owner saw a need for RV service and he liked working on them so that's what they do.

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:46 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The extended Warranty comes through again. We are happy to hear of the positive experience. That 1 repair would have paid for 90% of my 7 year premium.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote