Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2023, 07:12 PM   #1
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
MOC Forum advertisements

Hi MOC members,

Has anyone else noticed that, very recently, the ads have gotten really obnoxious on the MOC site? I seem to be getting annoying ads in between posts/replies, floating ads at the top and bottom of the screen, and just a lot of unnecessary crap in general that started within the past week.

I love the forum, and I can tolerate some ads, but these are starting to get more annoying than a Reddit search.

Moderators, if something changed, please undo it!

FlexArmor roof 2021, Starlink
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:19 PM   #2
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
When on a PC I add an ad blocker extension to my browser. AdBlock Plus is one such extension that blocks ads but there are others as well.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:36 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Those adds are what pays for this forum so we don’t haft to. I just don’t pay attention to the ones I don’t like.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:02 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You beat me to it Lynwood! Those ads are put on there because this Forum is FREE and the over 25,000 members of the Montana Owners Club Forum have FREE access to it along with multiple others that are not members but guests. Those non-members can only read the comments and posts and cannot submit any commentary to any of the posts here. I just ignore the ads unless something catches my eye and I MIGHT be interested in it's content.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:04 PM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I remember a thread similar to this a while back. At that time I was getting some odd ads but since then they went away. Only normal run of the mill ads since then.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:12 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The ads on the MOC site appear in the right pane above and below the "Recent Threads". There is another set of "You may also like:" clickies at the bottom of a Thread.

If you are seeing adds between Posts and at the top and bottom of the screen, I would look for some malware.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:38 PM   #7
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
If accidentally get logged out, the ads increase five times. Log back in and it’s reasonable again. Just happened to me.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 11:59 AM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
If accidentally get logged out, the ads increase five times. Log back in and it’s reasonable again. Just happened to me.
Wow! I am always logged on and use an Ad-Blocker so I don't see any of this. I did test using a different id and no Ad Blocker and the resultant ads were as I described previously. Not too bad. But when accessing the forum without logging on you get flooded with ads in between Posts, at the bottom, and worse of all, those floating box ads over the text of Posts.

I know the forum has no control over the ad content. Therefore, I encourage you to be logged on for minimal ad disruption.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 12:13 PM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
On my laptop, I don't get a single ad anywhere on any web site, including this one. Why? Because I use Brave as my web browser and Duck Duck Go as my search engine. All ads ... everything, never appear, if I'm logged in or not.

Sometimes I need to break out of Brave and Duck Duck and I'll flip over to my Microsoft Edge browser and Google search engine. What a massive difference. Ads pop up everywhere. And yes, I agree when I'm on a Microsoft Browser the ads are awful.

My cell phone uses Microsoft Chrome and I never log into any of these forums from my phone. I just read. When I'm on Chrome on my phone, I sometimes have to just give up, the ads are so many and keep popping up before I can even see what I'm trying to look at on the site.

Duck Duck Go with Brave is a winner if you don't want the ads. They are blocked.

I just check my Brave Home page. It says Brave has blocked 113,142 Trackers and Ads. It says I've saved 7.36 gigabites of bandwidth, and saved 1.6 hours of down-load time. I don't know when that counter started. But that's a lot!

Switch to Brave and Duck Duck Go. See what happens. Just down load it and click on Brave instead of your Microsoft browser. If you don't like it, all you have to do is uninstall it.

I have it set to delete all cookies upon closing the browser. That mean every time I come back to this site I have to log in again. But it also has a "save password" feature. By simply clicking on the log in user ID, the user ID and password pop in. Then just go ahead and log in. No problem. Easy, works great!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote