Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Front electric leveling jacks

Our Front Jack is not Working on one side. I do not have an auto leveling system this is a 2007 3400 model with electric jacks in the front. When I tried to extend them, one side is not moving it’s my opinion that there might be a sheer pen or something that is broke somewhere. Has anyone had experience with this?
I’m also wondering how hard it would be to get to.

Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 03:14 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I had the same thing happen several years ago. It was a pretty easy fix. The spiral pin (commonly called a roll pin) feel out of the bevel gear. You can see it on page three of the attachment. Luckly one of our members had some spare parts so we canibalized the pin out of a leg assembly. I have since seen them available at some ACE hardware stores. I f that isn't your issue at least you will have a good schematic of the leg.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf leg-specs (1).pdf (276.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 06-25-2021, 05:09 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There are two major failure places on the old electric jacks. I assume it is the passenger side leg that is not working? It is driven by the cross bar from the motor on the driver side. There is a shear pin (actually a 1/4" x 20 bolt) is that cross bar (in fact I seem to recall two - one near the motor that takes a short bolt to avoid hitting the motor and another over by the passenger side). If the crossbar is not turning look for those shear pins.

If the bar turns, then the most likely is a broken shear pin in the leg assembly. You need to remove the leg to access the pin. Your legs were probably made by Venture Manufacturing. The shear pin is under the horizontal bevel gear and pretty easy to replace once you get the old one out. Venture is good to work with if you call. Attached are a couple of repair PDFs that may help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Landing Gear Removal and Installation.pdf (12.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: pdf landing gear rebuild instructions.pdf (37.9 KB, 75 views)

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:25 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Well today after looking at it, the bar is turning so I’ll see what I can do tomorrow. Thanks for all of the information !
Old 06-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Got it fixed. .50 1/4” bolt from the hardware store worked fine. I did get a lower strength bolt in case it needs to shear of to protect gears, motor etc. Thanks again for all of the information.

On edit, I didn’t have to remove the actual leg. I did remove the housing where it was prepped for a generator. Everything that was needed was accessible from the front compartment .