Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2006, 05:40 AM   #1
w0awl

M.O.C. #4368
toilet bowl leaks

We have a new 3400RL Montana 5th wheel with a SeaLand by Dometic toilet.When the toilet bowl is filled with water, it leaks rapidly back into the black tank. We have friends that also have the same model Montana who have the same problem. Do any of you have the same problem? If so, what is the fix?

One Ham and one Quilter

w0awl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:44 AM   #2
mikedesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3083
I lubricated the ball and the seal with vasaline. This ixed my problem and has been leak free now for several months.
mikedesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:32 AM   #3
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
Our first post on this forum was occasioned by a similar problem in our then-new 3475RL. Wise counsel on this forum gave good advice regarding cleaning and lubricating the valve. It was also suggested to me that the problem might cure itself when the seal has been exposed to water long enough to re-moisturize. I assume that is what happened as it did cure itself within a few days and has been fine through the intervening year.

By the way, another poster later mentioned that the toilet was supplied with a valve-cleaning tool, contained in a plastic bag attached to the back of the toilet. I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I had not found that plastic bag and its contents until that posting. If cleaning is required, that tool might be useful to you.

Welcome to the forum; I am confident that you will find this to be an excellent source of information as well as friendship.

Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:41 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I think Roman4 is on the right track. You might look at the shroud covering the front of the bowl--it could be rubbing on the foot pedel.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:37 AM   #5
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We had the same problem with our SeaLand. We simply turned off all water to the toilet, drained the bowl, wiped the seal to make sure there was no loose particles causing the leak, then rubbed vaseline around the seal. Has worked for us. No problem with leakage in over two months. I believe the seals do dry out or have never been lubricated, prior to delivery to the customer. Seems the dealers could take care of this problem in their delivery prep.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:43 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you're having a problem but you've come to the right place. And this forum needs more Iowans and more quilters!

Harmon, nice new picture and thanks for introducing the maps to the forum. It's fun to see where everyone has traveled. By the way, the oranges are abundant in the Valley!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:56 AM   #7
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
Thanks, Judy. Maybe things will work out so we can get down there for a few days.
Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
w0awl, We had the same problem on our new 3000RK. Don't know whether or not it's the same model toilet. The dealer fixed it by putting in a new seal. He told me "We've been having a lot trouble with those things lately". Seems to be working fine now.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #9
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
We have found that if you snap the the foot pedal when flushing , the leaking stops. We do this whenever we flush and the problem has gone away.

Wa4bmg
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:01 PM   #10
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Wa4bmg - we have a brand new unit that leaks badly also. Discovered that the snapping of the foot pedal works some of the time but I'm somewhat concerned that a constant banging of the mechanism may eventually cause other failure. Seems there should be some other fix. Besides, my wife feels she shouldn't be startled out of her sleep in the middle of the night when I visit 'john'. I was under the impression from some other thread that the manufactureres(???)were aware of the problem and allegedly sent some parts for a fix. Not sure if that is true or rumor though. Mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:16 AM   #11
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
Same problem when new. I was also told by service to tighten the metal band that connects the bowl to the base. That worked for the most part. Also lubed the seal and have not had any more problems since. I have always been told not to put petroleum based products such as vaseline on rubber seals. Just use 100% silicone lubricant. Bought some at dealership parts dept. But have used vaseline in a pinch and nothing disintigrated in front of me, so I don't know how true it is.
cs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #12
w4nfr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #646
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cs413

Same problem when new. I was also told by service to tighten the metal band that connects the bowl to the base. That worked for the most part. Also lubed the seal and have not had any more problems since. I have always been told not to put petroleum based products such as vaseline on rubber seals. Just use 100% silicone lubricant. Bought some at dealership parts dept. But have used vaseline in a pinch and nothing disintigrated in front of me, so I don't know how true it is.
Yes I agree with this. I have the water leak out in the Sealand toilet from time to time and I just snug up the metal band a little and this cures the problem. I think it get a little loose from use and needs the snug occasionally.
w4nfr is offline   Reply With Quote