Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2005, 05:21 AM   #1
Montana_4009

M.O.C. #4009
Mission tires

Has anyone on this site had trouble with mission tires? I replied to a post on rv.net and hope this may help others.I hope Keystone monitors this site and see what trouble some people are with these cheap tires that they are suppling with upper line campers. My rig is 2 years old and we will ugrade in a few years but we may look elsewhere if Montana rigs are still coming with mission tires on them. Mission Tire Discussion on RVNet

Montana_4009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:47 AM   #2
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
If you go to the Search function on the forum, you will find two additional discussions re Mission tires. I do not have Mission Tires on my 2005/06 Monty ... but do have Tacomas ... which were once manufactured by Cooper Tires for a company called Parrish Tire Company, located in North Carolina, I believe. Cooper has discontinued manufacture of Tacomas and according to Parrish, they are no longer manufactured by anyone and are not available for sale. Good luck to those of us who have warranty issues with Tacoma Tires! I am less than impressed with any of the tires installed as original equipment on Montanas (the only brand we have owned) and am actively investigating the alternatives. Hauling 7 tons of RV down an Interstate on tires that were supplied by the lowest bidder does not fill me with confidence. Will likely switch to Goodyears, Michelins, or some other name brand manufacturer in the spring. Like the poster on RV.Net Open Roads Forum stated, I prefer to spend my time on the highway looking ahead and not in the rear view mirrors, wondering whether the tires on my 5er are about to give up the ghost and tear the side of my RV to pieces.
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:12 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well take a look at the tires supplied on ANY similar camper and you will see the same brands of tires.We have toured several Rv plants in the Elkhart , Goshen area and the piles of tires at each of the plants are the same.. Lowest bidder.They meet specs and that's it.. Log on to ANY camper forum and you will see tire problems post..that's just the way it is.. Tires, sound systems, mattress,Etc..When you deal for a new camper figure you will have to upgrade and deduct the cost of doing so from your buy price..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all Ronnie C. I want to welcome you to the MOC family.

Secondly I have a problem with your thread...
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ronnie C.

Has anyone on this site had trouble with mission tires? I replied to a post on rv.net and hope this may help others.I hope Keystone monitors this site and see what trouble some people are with these cheap tires that they are suppling with upper line campers. My rig is 2 years old and we will ugrade in a few years but we may look elsewhere if Montana rigs are still coming with mission tires on them. Mission Tires on RVNet
I followed your link to RV.net and from what I could read you are the only one having a problem. The only other problem was by gkchevy concerning a blow out and I quote that post...
Quote:
quote:Mine Blew ... called the 800 number on the tire, and they send me a check for 100% reimbursment of the new tires took them about a month to approve the claim ... but sent them all the old tires, they inspected them, and sent me a check! what a suprisingly pleasent experiance.
I won't pass judgement on a product because one individual out of thousands had a problem. In the world of batch manufacturing you will get a bad batch thrown in now and again. It's like any other product, the plant has it's good days and it's has bad days.

Bill Frisbee, As far as warranty issues the tires are only covered for "manufacturers defect" and that warranty, just like automobile/truck tires, is covered by the tire manufacturer and not the RV manufacturer. Tacoma Tires were manufactured by Cooper Tire Co. It was a private label that was manufactured for Parrish Tire Co. of Winston-Salem, NC 800-849-8473. The Tacoma Tire has a four year limited warranty, which excludes road hazards, and Parrish is still responsible for that warranty. If you are having problems with your Tacoma's I would give Parrish a call.

I forgot the name but Cooper does make a tire carrying the Cooper name that is exactly like the Tacoma right down to the tread design. I will try to get additional info on that.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 02:50 AM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
My 06 has the Mission 235/80 E rating Trailer tires and when I towed my unit home my driver side front tire was down to 18 pounds. The other 3 tires were at 78 pounds.

I took the tire down to a good tire shop that has people I trust and they have been in business for 30 years. He found the tire had been repaired with a big plug and there is a slight bulge at the repair spot. The tire can't be repaired and my dealer has a new tire on order. I live on the West Coast and the contract hauler must have had a flat and because I have aluminum wheels and the spare is a steel rim , he just fixed the tire .

The tire shop guy said these Missions were not a bad tire. People see the made in China label on the tires and think they are a poor tire.

I will give them a chance but if I ever see a bulge form or have any other issues, they are coming off and Michelin 235/85 LT tires E rating are going on. I read the post comparing LT tires to Trailer tires and maybe in the 15 inch sizes the trailer tires have a higher rating with a narrower footprint but in 16 inch sizes, the LT 10 plys seem to be very similiar to the Trailer tires and the Mission D rating trailer tires they used a couple years back seem a little too light duty for Montana sized fifth wheels. The fact that Montana now puts the 10 ply rating on even the small Montanas like my 2955 RL would be a cause for concern for me if I had the Load Range D tires.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 03:49 AM   #6
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Glenn ...

I understand how these warranty issues work "in theory". What concerns me is the reality. I do not want to find myself in the middle of South Dakota with a tire problem, trying to deal with Parrish Tire Company in North Carolina about the warranty. I much prefer to pay a bit of a "premium" for Goodyears, Michelins, or other tires produced by companies that have dealerships all over North America. I spent too many years building Jeeps for off-roading to have much confidence in small, independent operations that too frequently find it impossible to back up their "good intentions" with effective action.

Bill
Old 12-18-2005, 06:16 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill Frisbee

Glenn ...

I understand how these warranty issues work "in theory". What concerns me is the reality. I do not want to find myself in the middle of South Dakota with a tire problem, trying to deal with Parrish Tire Company in North Carolina about the warranty. I much prefer to pay a bit of a "premium" for Goodyears, Michelins, or other tires produced by companies that have dealerships all over North America. I spent too many years building Jeeps for off-roading to have much confidence in small, independent operations that too frequently find it impossible to back up their "good intentions" with effective action.

Bill
I agree 100%. I was just pointing out that there is an avenue to be taken should someone have such a need.
My brother and I formed Adams Tire and Battery Service back in 1971. In the 80's I moved on but he still operates the business today. I don't buy my tires from him. I buy major brands basically because major brands are readily available across the US and Canada. My brother primarily sells Cordovan but finding a Cordovan dealer in Florida, Tennessee, etc when needed could be a problem. Sure he can get me Goodyear but not necessarily at the best price.
BTW-When it comes time to replace the Tacoma's on my Monty I will be putting on 5 used Bridgestone tires. You see the Bridgestone's are currently on my GMC and when they become half worn the GMC will get 5 new tires (brand to be named later) and the Monty will get the 5 half worn Bridgestone's.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:17 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Any tire (not recalled), if it properly taken care of, will last as per mfr's spec. Even though lowest bidder is a widespread business procedure, if too may problems start cropping up, it falls back on the RV mfr's reputation, even though tire quality has nothing to do with the RV maker (human nature thing). I'm sure Keystone would not continue to mass install a tire that many are starting to complain about. Bad business - which would be uncharateristic of Keystone, as per my research. BTW: IMHO.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:40 AM   #9
Montana_4009

M.O.C. #4009
Glen, Thanks for the welcome and I'm sorry you had a problem with my post. As I stated, I may have gotten a bad batch of tires and if you search rv.net you will find that I am not the only one that has had problems with these tires. I'm just passing on information to help people and if it doesn't help you maybe it will help someone else. Merry Christmas
Montana_4009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:47 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've had Goodyear Marathon trailer tires on three of our four fifthwheels. I've had at least as many problems with the Goodyears as I read others have with other brands, including Mission, Michelin, etc. I'm still looking for a better tire. Goodyear and Michelin are great for tow vehicles but I'm not sold on their trailer tires.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:10 PM   #11
tennisdg
Established Member

M.O.C. #5058
i've had no problem with mine but i'm just going full time, i've had a flat in las vegas but that was because of a wayward nail i recently picked up hope all is well
tennisdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:53 PM   #12
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

We've had Goodyear Marathon trailer tires on three of our four fifthwheels. I've had at least as many problems with the Goodyears as I read others have with other brands, including Mission, Michelin, etc. I'm still looking for a better tire. Goodyear and Michelin are great for tow vehicles but I'm not sold on their trailer tires.
Steve, does your assessment re Goodyears include the G614RST? That is what I am looking at but am still a long way from making a decision.

Bill
Old 12-29-2005, 04:47 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill Frisbee

Steve, does your assessment re Goodyears include the G614RST? That is what I am looking at but am still a long way from making a decision.

Bill
Bill, no it doesn't. My experience with Goodyear trailer tires is only with the Marathons. I forgot about the G614, which has only been around, what, a couple of years now? I've heard that's a good tire but have no personal experience with it.

If you or anyone else has used those tires I'd like to hear thoughts on it.

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote