Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2005, 05:42 AM   #1
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Galley drain handle

Has anyone modified their Galley drain handle so it is easier to use?
With the slide out the handle between the tires is hard to get to.

I was thinking about making a long tool that would grab the handle and allow me to open and close it without crawling under? Or installing a remote cable kit or the electric valve? Anyone done these and what works best?

drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:48 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Don,

Some people have reported using the handle for the awning to help grab the galley drain pull.

So, far, we just lean in and grab it, but if you had a back situation I can see where some help would be nice,

sure some of the others will happen along with great ideas for you!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:45 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I use my awning hook !
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I like the awning hook idea. It is already on board, you get double duty out of the tool, and you don't have to find a place for something else. I'm sold.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
My awning rod serves as a triple duty tool. Pull the awning out, pull the galley drain and measure clearance for the slideouts
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Be carefull if you are pushing the valve in with awning rod if you do not push on that handle squire you can break the handle from plastic I will call it the puck inside the valve. This has happened to me on my Jayco with the black tank full.What a dirty job.And I did not have to deal with an under belly like on the Montana
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:36 PM   #7
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Our awning hook is also a 3-way tool, all the same uses. Great minds must think alike. I guess the only question is: what side of the basement storage do you keep the awning hook on? Passenger side for the awning, or driver side for the galley pull and slide measurement?
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Though the awning hook is a good idea, I have found it infinitely easier to reach it than the black tank pull on our Prowler. Having to pull that one on an angle parallel to the camper always made it awkward.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:47 PM   #9
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Bill,

Lay that rod in the storage compartment crosswise and it can be reached from either side. Claudia usually jumps out and grabs it on her way back to guide me into the site. I generally don't open any of the drain valves until the tanks show signs of getting full or we're pulling out.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:41 PM   #10
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I used the awning hook with our 2750RK. Don't need it on the new trailer. The galley handle is in a "useable" place...just beside the sewer drain outlet.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:50 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Country Guy and Wordsmith, the three of us have the 3295RK. Our galley drain handle is just inside the slide, easily accessible by just leaning over a bit, right? But the ones they are talking about are like the 2880RL we used to have. The drain handle is between the wheels. You either use the awning rod or you crawl under the slide, which is what I used to do since I never thought to try the awning rod. I was always afraid I'd leave that handle pulled out, valve open, when we hit the road. It then might get bent out of shape if a big enough bump caused a tire to hit it. But it never happened.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:08 PM   #12
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Steve, that WOULD be difficult. Any ideas why the handle would be put in such an awkward place? Since I started thinking about this in more detail due to this thread, do all Montanas have the galley drains?
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:11 PM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yep, Steve, even ole Carol can reach this galley pull on the 3295, although I am still thinking hard about painting that buggar WHITE, so, I can see it down there! But, if I had a sore back, I would think hard about that awning hook! Last year in Texas my back was so bad I could barely walk, there was no leaning over for that galley pull. Lucky for me, Al's back was NOT like mine was, and he pulled the drains!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:01 PM   #14
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
We have found another use for the awning hook. We use ours to straighten out the slideout rubber seals when they curl under instead of laying flat as they are intended for a good seal. If any of you decide to do this also, just be careful that there isn't a sharp edge on the hook that will cut the seal. We have found ours to be very helpful in this endeavor. Just go's to show you that some tools have many purposes.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:04 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
J.D., the only reason I can figure is tank placement and the need to keep the handle rod straight and as short as possible. And that's a WAG.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:02 AM   #16
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We use the awning hook also. When you push the handle in be sure it is horizontal. Had the drive shaft for the slide push it out just a smidgen. Just enough to have the pipe full of water the next time we set up.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:13 PM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill Hill

Our awning hook is also a 3-way tool, all the same uses. Great minds must think alike. I guess the only question is: what side of the basement storage do you keep the awning hook on? Passenger side for the awning, or driver side for the galley pull and slide measurement?
Great minds DO think alike and here is another great idea...
Get a second hook and mount them on the basement doors, one on each side.

These clips can be picked up at a marine store. They are used to hold down the boats antenna when not in use.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:42 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cargary

We have found another use for the awning hook. We use ours to straighten out the slideout rubber seals when they curl under instead of laying flat as they are intended for a good seal. If any of you decide to do this also, just be careful that there isn't a sharp edge on the hook that will cut the seal. We have found ours to be very helpful in this endeavor. Just go's to show you that some tools have many purposes.
Gary & Carole
Great idea, Cargary! This one goes in my "remember this" list.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine
Great minds DO think alike and here is another great idea...
Get a second hook and mount them on the basement doors, one on each side.
Glenn, I like your storage idea, too. Those screws are short enough to not go all the way through, right? Our awning rod currently lays in the tray area of the basement but sometimes can get caught on other things. Any problem getting those screws to hold?
Old 05-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #19
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Thanks Steve. Thats what is great about this forum - sharing ideas that can make our camping experiences more fun, easier and less stressful.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:21 AM   #20
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
so far I haven't, I still climb underneath.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote