Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
JWH

M.O.C. #26822
Rear Speakers - how to make them work w/TV

Our surround sound (for the rear speakers, over the recliners) works while playing DVDs just fine. Any ideas about how to make them work with the TV? 2014 Montana Mountaineer 290RLT. Thanks in advance!

JWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
If your TV has a stereo output jack, you can use a cord and patch it to the stereo (at least mine). Maybe the new stereos don't have the input jacks tho - don't know.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am not a sound system expert by any means. But here is what I think to be true.

The TV has to be able to receive and process 5.1 surround sound signals from what ever source that signal is coming from.
And the TV and the surround sound system both have to be HDMI ARC compatible. ARC is audio return channel that allows sound sound signals to travel both directions via the HDMI cable.

................ OR

Run the source cable for the TV signal to the sound system. And then a video cable (HDMI or video cable) to the TV. That way the sound system automatically receives the surround sound signal, if included in the TV signal. That is basically what happens when you play a DVD. And the way my home system is set up.

You can connect a basic audio cable from the TV audio output to the sound system aux audio input to get TV sound from the sound system, but I don’t think you can get surround sound from all the speakers that way. That is what I currently have. Much better than the TV speakers but not surround sound.

Now surely there are some out there with far more knowledge than me. Would love for someone to confirm this. Or tell me I am completely wrong and educate me on the subject.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:09 PM   #4
JWH

M.O.C. #26822
Thanks for your reply. Our stereo/DVD box is inside the wall... the only thing that comes out is the RCA jacks (red/black/yellow), and I have that plugged into the TV. It just *seems* that the TV sound should work with the speakers. I'll look into your reply - thanks!
Old 08-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #5
JWH

M.O.C. #26822
Thanks for this info. Our "stereo" is inside the wall next to the TV, and the only thing coming out is the RCA jack (red/black/yellow). Oh, and the coax cable for antenna or satellite. I will digest your info and see what I can come up with. Thanks again for the knowledge!
Old 08-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #6
aarailfan

M.O.C. #26850
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
Our surround sound (for the rear speakers, over the recliners) works while playing DVDs just fine. Any ideas about how to make them work with the TV? 2014 Montana Mountaineer 290RLT. Thanks in advance!
I have a 2014 with the Jensen RV system. To get sound from my TV on the overhead speakers I had to order a RCA audio cable set and run it from the audio out on my TV, fish it through the wiring bundle, and then plug it into the the unused aux audio input on the back of the Jensen unit. When watching TV, I select Aux1 on the Jensen and adjust the volume using the Jensen remote. I turn the TV volume all the way down.

This is what I purchased for my 305RL, but I also drilled a 2” hole through the wall behind the TV to run all my cables through because I hated the sloppy way there were run. Without that hole, you will likely need 10’ cables instead of the 6’ ones.

Monoprice 102864 6' Premium 2 RCA...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001W0WI02...p_mob_ap_share

David
aarailfan is offline   Reply With Quote