Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
roof issue/question

I checked my roof recently and there are many staples pushing up, but not thru. I expected this. However, on one edge, it appears there is a curved hard piece about 8-10 inches in width and 10-15 feet long that runs along the edge. This section is not attached to the roof on the inside, as you can press it down by hand about 1/2 or 3/4 inch. The roof membrane actually holds it down in place. I am guessing there are nails/screws that were left out during the build. Anyone out there with info or ideas?
Thanks.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'll call it flashing for no better word. It is as you describe, but runs the full length of your roof on both sides. It provides a rounded transition from roof to sidewall and as you say is covered by the rubber membrane. I don't know exactly how it is supposed to be fastened, but it is just thin material and can be pressed inward a bit on any fiver. If it is obviously sticking up under the roof membrane, then that is an issue.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
You can see a sort of ridge running the length of that section. That is where I can push it down a bit. Other sections don't stick up quite so much, which is why I noticed it.
I am just worried it may be an issue later.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:29 PM   #4
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Tom, not sure you have much to worry about on that radius. The old Challenger was very much the same as you describe for 9 1/2 years. From the day it was new. With in the first year of warranty, it was back to the customer service center for another issue. I brought it to their attention at the time and they convinced me that it should not be an issue. And, it wasn't. That roof got washed most times 2 times a year. I always made a close inspection every time I washed it. Never a problem. Now, if you have a staple issue, that could be another matter.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:47 AM   #5
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
The curved piece your are talking about, that runs down the sides/edge of the roof, is not totally fastened down on mine either. That is where some of my raised staples are located. If the roof membrane is suppose to be glued down, then this is a manufacturing defect. If staples are raising up into the membrane, no matter if they immediately breaking through or not, it is a manufacturing defect.

Tom, my curved piece under the roof membrane probably isn't raised 1/2" or 3/4", but it is raised maybe 1/4" or 3/8" in most places. Between it and some raised staples I have also developed some slight wrinkles in my roof membrane which I am not happy about.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:39 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The raised staple seems to be a issue that has developed recently or at least is now being reported. Keystone says not to worry so it is a Minor issue. All will be well.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:33 PM   #7
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
I have the same problem on my 2014 3582RL. Both side panels are raising up and are loose. This is not a normal thing and is only going to get worse. This should be repaired and the proper way to repair is to remove the membrane and use screws to reattach the aluminum piece. The only question is whether you can reuse the membrane or will you have to replace the membrane. Keystone really needs to stand behind this problem. I have an appointment on my Montana in April so hopefully the dealer will get the authorization to repair it correctly.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:18 AM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
As dieselguy said for lack of a better word let's call this a flashing. Unlike some members I do not have staples protruding, I do however have this flashing sticking up almost the entire length of one side of my roof, it has lifted the rubber roofing material back from it as well.

From the time I purchased this unit there were rough area's under the rubber roof, this was brought to the attention of the dealer who were supposed to contact Keystone and perhaps did, their assessment was it was not a problem and should never be. I looks like the roof itself was rough material like particle board and very well may be.

A couple of other members have sent me pictures of their roof issues and they are all similar, some with staples protruding and some not. There is no way this is related to the rubber roofing material it is a problem with production plain and simple.

It might be beneficial to all of us if each member with a roof problem were to post a picture in this thread of the worst part of their roof. I would love to see the conditions of others roofs so if anyone would like they can email me pictures.

It is going on two weeks now and I have not yet heard a peep out of Keystone after sending in pictures of my roof issues. This is a greater problem than most members realize and it appears Keystone is ducking and hiding to avoid dealing with it.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
New keystone management policy?? We are disappointed with a change in customer service since owning montanas since 2002. May well be on our last one. Our experience with our 2015 has been frustrating
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:16 PM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I have not posted this picture of my roof problem on this thread, since I asked that others might consider doing so, here is mine.

As anyone can plainly see the flashing is raised up almost the entire length of the roof, the water pools behind this and does not run off the roof properly. Also visible is the dimply looking sections on the roof, that has been that way since it was new. The 2012 had the roof vents front and rear for better ventilation supposedly, if that is so I cannot see how moisture can be a problem. I have had not interior leaks associated with the roof.

Does this look normal to you folks:

Old 03-05-2015, 01:24 AM   #11
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Additional searching on the internet has revealed the Montana is not the only Keystone brand RV that has had recent roof issues. Apparently they try to initially deny any and all factory warranty claims. One victim recently experienced bubbling on his new roof, was denied warranty, and took it several steps further due to his fear that mold would develop under these bubbles and cause a real health hazard for him and his family.

There must have been some validity to his concerns because Keystone finally gave in and honored his factory warranty.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #12
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
Interesting, my roof looks very similar to the picture. As you can see this is not normal. When I first contacted Keystone they said this is normal and it does not hurt anything. I just received an email today and they said to take to an authorized Keystone dealer and they want the dealer to look at and contact Keystone for preauthorization. I have a 2014 3582RL. I have an appointment in April.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #13
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Ed, It certainly doesn't look like my 06, and I think my 06 is normal. Certainly looks like something is going on under the rubber roof. Jim

Does this look normal to you folks:

[/quote]
Old 03-12-2015, 02:40 AM   #14
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
If anyone is interested in DIY it isn't that difficult. A box of 1/2" #6 stainless screws and a good charged cordless drill and a good day will do it. I had to do mine before it was a year old. I also had to do my previous Sunnybrook. The EPDM is not glued to the flashing. By taking the horizontal gutter off the EPDM is folded back off the flashing. Remove the staples and replace with pan head screws. Time consuming but not difficult.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:49 AM   #15
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by psomers

If anyone is interested in DIY it isn't that difficult. A box of 1/2" #6 stainless screws and a good charged cordless drill and a good day will do it. I had to do mine before it was a year old. I also had to do my previous Sunnybrook. The EPDM is not glued to the flashing. By taking the horizontal gutter off the EPDM is folded back off the flashing. Remove the staples and replace with pan head screws. Time consuming but not difficult.
Paul; If there are any staples holding the flashing down they are few and far between at least on the side which is worst and is shown in the picture. I certainly can fix it, that is not the point, if it had been done correctly at the factory this issue would not exist.

I am also very concerned about the rough patches one of which shows in the picture, this again is not normal and suggests a problem with the roof. While it may not affect the roofs integrity, there is something amiss and I would like to at least have an explanation from the dealer or Keystone as to the cause of this.

Like others the response so far from Keystone has been that it is due to expansion and contraction of the roofing material and is nothing to worry about and that I have no warrantable issue with my roof.
This determination was made by Keystone without the benefit of a dealer inspection and based solely on the pictures I have submitted to them.

I have "fixed" a good many things on my Montana, I have had a couple of issues dealt with under warranty by Keystone and two rejected outright, luckily Dexter and the manufacturer of the microwave stepped up and honored their warranty in spite of the fact it was still under warranty by Keystone.

Like many others we really like our Montana, I have owned many different RV's over the years and have "never" had as many problems. All of these problems with the Montana are related to poor workmanship and quality control. Standing behind your product is what separates the men from the boys and while Keystone may have the largest sales in the country they are very much lacking in after sales customer support.

I am awaiting a response to my last email to Keystone regarding my roof, we shall see how that turns out.