Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Satilitte Connection

We have tried to use the convenience center connection for our satellite receiver however have always received a no signal error. When I connect the RG 6 line directly to the Dish receiver it works. If you have had a problem like this how have you resolved it? Is there a tool to check the signal strength whe using the coach wire ? Is there a way to replace the coach wire with new wire (RG 59 presumed to be to RG 6) ? Other thoughts other than going through the window all the time ? I have just installed a ladder mount for the Winegard Carryout and would like to wire it so that the wiring is in place all the time. I assume that you can take 12 volt power form one of the fixtures ?
Thanks

Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We had a similar problem and it was a simple matter of a loose connection at the back end of the outlet. It was only loosely finger tight.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
What is the year and floorplan model you have. Two outside coax connections or one. Wiring changed around 2010 or so.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Very few of them are wired the same. We had a similar problem and Keystone couldn’t help us then told us the “loop” that is normally provided for insertion of a satellite receiver was an option that our build ticket didn’t show we had.

I used my “fox & hound” tool to sort out where the wires went and I did the “loop” thing behind the bedroom TV and got it working.

Then when we had living room TV problems and had to remove it I found the ”loop” behind the TV way down by the floor where the only way to get to it was to remove the TV or the Fire place.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
I spent the better part of today, trying to find the cause of my weak cable signal. I removed all the cable face plates and tightened loose connections - every one! Still can't get a signal to my outside entertainment. I'm guessing it's got to be a loose connection at the splitter inside the Big Sky. I took the cover off the back of the convenience center and followed the cable until it disappeared into a zillion miles of wire. Put the cover back on. This is a brand new unit, so I guess it will go in for warranty work. I just hate to take it in for something so minor - since we live in the thing. If I just knew where the splitter was, I could do it myself . . . GRRRRRRRR!!!
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Not sure if this is needed, but did you turn off the OTA antenna signal booster? This might cause the signal loss.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Oh, yes. I have cable in the unit, just can't get the outside television to connect. The cable box sends the "poor signal" message.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Thanks for the quick replies. We have a 2012 3582. The convenience center has three cable connections, Cable, Satilitte living room, and Satillite bedroom. I have tried with booster on and off. I have had Dish on the line a lot and after a while they get tired and simply pass you to a new department. Or the thing now is the cabling within the coach is sub standard. They had me go buy RG 6 instead of using the wire that came with the Winegard Carryout. There is not any labeling on that cable. I will go through and tighten all go the connections and see if the outside and bedroom will function. I will call Keystone to see if they have anything to add.
This should not be this difficult ! :-) Thanks
Old 09-02-2014, 02:51 AM   #9
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I have it easy! My 2006 did not come with much of a satellite connection. My solution-install connectors on the outside and run RG6 directly to each HD receiver in the living area and front bed room. Works great--Also a video switch allows me to select either the on-the-air antenna (Boster amp is always ON) or cable that is connected to the original cable connection in the convenience center. Also use a Wingard 1000.2 antenna with DPP44 switch to get HD to all receivers. I have 2 reels of RG6 that are 100 feet each along with some cable for power to the DPP44. Sure keep the wife happy!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:15 AM   #10
ldaniel

M.O.C. #4281
My brother had the same problem after much checking, found that the connection in the
convenience center for the living room and bedroom were switched. You may check this out
could be the problem.
ldaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:09 AM   #11
Bill and Jan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12932
I'm not to good with technical stuff but will try and explain what happened to ours. We have the Winnegard ladder mount and we ran the cord down the ladder and zip tied the coax and power to the propane pipe and up into the convenience center where the water comes up through. The power is plugged into our
12 volt socket in the basement.
The bedroom coax never worked and we finally took it to D& T in Goshen. I mentioned that it worked fine through the window and he said something about no power to the coax (I think that is how he explained it.) They ran a new coax under the dresser which is better because the receiver is on the dresser and we had don't have to have the cabinet open to switch channels.
Bill and Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:02 AM   #12
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
A direct TV installer told us that there could be no line splitters anywhere between the dish and the receiver. That may be the problem.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Timand Susan,ldaniel, and Bill and Jan thanks for the suggestions I will check out these this weekend. We have a electronic switch allowing the TV to take a single HDMI To the TV from 3 other HDMI products., DVD player. Apple TV box, and one open port.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

A direct TV installer told us that there could be no line splitters anywhere between the dish and the receiver. That may be the problem.
That's odd because with Dish and a couple of Joey's a splitter is required http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload...&%20Hopper.pdf
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

I suspect that was a misunderstanding of some kind. I have a DirecTV splitter on my SWM system to split the antenna input to my two different receivers. Probably what he meant is you can't use just any old Radio Shack splitter, You will have to use the DirecTV one.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:22 AM   #16
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

FYI

The “loop” is in the white circle.

Phil P
Old 09-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #17
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
What is the purpose of the loop? Why is it even there?
Old 09-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #18
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
I have the ladder mount Carryout and ran two RF cables and a power line down the ladder, under the frame and up into the convenience center. Zip tied the cables and added a little cable wrap between the ladder run and the undercarriage for neatness. Mounted the Carryout power switch in the ceiling of the convenience center and added two RF connection to the convenience center. I picked up the 12 volt DC power for the Carryout power switch from the light fixture in the convenience center. All three RF lines (the original for Cable and two for Directv) run up from the convenience center into the living room cabinet to the Directv SD receiver-recorder and a A-B switch. The Directv SD recorder has two RF inputs, one for each of the included two tuners so the recorder can record two channels at a time (or watch one and record another). We are thus able to record two different channels being broadcast at the same time on Directv. We use the A-B switch to route the roof antennae or cable to the TV. This has worked for us just fine now for the last two years.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #19
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Virginia Young

What is the purpose of the loop? Why is it even there?
Hi

That is where you are supposed to insert your satellite receiver. That loop is in the line from the outside cable / satellite connector. When you hook up cable you shut off your satellite receiver and that allows the cable signal to pass thru to your roof antenna control box. You must have you roof antenna booster shut off at the control box to see either the cable or satellite signal. Most all of you splitting is performed at the roof antenna control box. The roof antenna control box is the one with the little green light on it to tell when it is on or off.

In the case of our 3665REthe cable runs from the convenience center to the back of the trailer thru the loop then all the way back to the front bed room then back to the rear entertainment center. The split at the roof antenna control box is 1 input from roof antenna 1 input from the cable / satellite receiver 1 output to the bedroom TV and 1 output to the living room TV. The basement TV uses a splitter in the run from the roof antenna control box to the living room TV.

The only thing I find confusing in the OP’s post is the three coaxial terminals in the convenience center. I haven’t seen that before and I am not sure how that is supposed to work.

Phil P
Old 09-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #20
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I have found the wiring diagram for the trailers with 3 coax connectors in the convenience center.

Using this drawing you would either have to install 2 satellite receivers or install a single satellite receiver in the line marked “cable” and not use the 2 satellite connectors in the convenience center.

This is what I had to do on our 2009 Montana.

Here is the link to the diagram it is the bottom one.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=37324

Phil P