Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2014, 03:38 AM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
First Warranty Experience

Purchased our unit in Tampa, FL. Currently, for part of the summer we are camped in Illinois. There is a Montana dealer 1/2 mile from our summer CG. They are Four Winns RV and I had talked with them before about issues with my Montana and they weren't too excited about working on it because I didn't buy it from them. I finally got an appointment to take it in for (1) water pump won't shut off (2) broken rear exit window arm (3) frig shuts off sometimes while traveling on propane. The result of my warranty visit was (1) leak in water line between fresh water tank and pump, water pump is fine (2) replacement window arm not in stock (3) can't examine frig and/or propane output unless it stops running while at their facility. So it took us an hour to break down our camp site, 5 minutes to pull Montana to their facility, 90 minutes in the lot, and another hour getting set back up at our CG, and none of our three issues were resolved.

I am really hoping that while we are at the Goshen rally we can have a tech address some of these issues. I know I won't be going back to Four Winns.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you are still under warranty you should call the service center now and make a sppointment. There is alo Usually a sign up at the fall rally for "10
minutes with a tech" Which usually results in a visits to the service center.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:22 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Year before last while at the rally our toilet bit the dust. Within 2 hours of my calling customer service, they had sent a tech to install a new complete unit and he was driving away.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
The best service u will get is at Goshen. If your under warranty as Rich said make the appointment now. They get so booked up people end up staying weeks after the rally getting repairs done. We had a 2009 out of warranty that was fixed under the 10 min tech meeting. I can't say enough good things about the repairs that happened during the rally. Make the call ASAP!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Actually, before you call a dealer it's best to call Keystone Customer service and ask them where to take it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Still under factory warranty until end of January. I had talked to Keystone Customer Service around June and told them about the broken window. They suggested Four Winns as a possible dealer when we got back to Illinois. I asked for the next closest dealer and they said Pontiac RV, which is about 50 miles from our summer CG. When I called Pontiac RV last week they said they were an Keystone dealer but refused to work on my Montana because they didn't sell the Montana line. I will take the advise and let Customer Service know I will be at the rally.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
dunrovin1955
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13868
This is really, really sad. Keystone wants us to travel the country in our Montys and yet the keystone dealer network around the US doesn't want to fix issues we might have traveling across our country. Thank goodness for the independent moble rv techs around the country. Thank You
dunrovin1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:38 AM   #8
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I agree, Keystone is not very well supported by good dealers. When we first were going to look at the 3725RL I sent an email to Four Winns. They have two facilities in Illinois, one of which is close to where we summer camp. Even though we were in Florida for the winter I wanted to give them (Four Winns) a chance at my business, plus I anticipated possible follow up service adjustments would be more convenient. They responded to my email by simply telling me that they did not have any 3725RL's coming in nor did they plan on getting any. Nothing else.....no hint at a good deal on ordering one....nothing! Several days later we traded at Lazy Days in Tampa.

I almost think I will be better off once the Keystone factory warranty expires and I start on my Cornerstone extended. For simple issues I will just make the repair myself. For tech stuff and things I can't repair I will gladly pay a deductible to get a good RV mobile repair tech. I understand there are some issues or repairs that would require the unit to be taken into their facility, but there are a lot of issues that can easily be dealt with at your CG by the repair tech. When you are full time and traveling these repair issues can be a real problem.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is dealer problem not Keystones that they won't do warranty work on your Rv. No dealer likes to do warranty work any brand because the manufacturer pays a flat labor rate which in most all cases is less than the dealers rate. Any dealer will be glad to work on your Rv out of warranty at their going rates. We live close enough to Goshen/ Elkhart (250 miles) that we go to a Rv repair shop there for any major repairs.

The service center will, if approved, do out of warranty work at the service center as a good will gesture at the fall rally. All manufacturers do that at their rallies.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:45 AM   #10
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I called Keystone service center early last week and told them about my 3 or 4 issues, none of which could be addressed by this local dealer easily. I told the service representative that I would be attending the Montana rally in Goshen the end of September so I would like to have a tech address these issues then. She said she would have a tech contact me. Still waiting for that return phone call.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:07 AM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Somewhere Joe in this thread I believe it suggests you contact Keystone CS. I would call them again, firmly but politely and ask for an appointment either the week before the rally, during or the week after. They should check their schedule, and set u up. Also with that comes a letter confirming your warranty appointment from Keystone. You don't need to wait for the rally to get a 15 min slot. Hopefully this helps. You have too many issues ignore. Good Luck. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote