Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
planing the next move ?

Guys we are right outside rapid city SD and getting ready to move west. we are looking at Rawhide resort and campground in Dubois Wyoming they are PA and seem to have a good record on RV reviews. has any one stayed there and what did you think. they are close to yellowstone and jackson hole. we are not heading out till 6th of july so just planing ahead. Thanks for your help.
Bobby

scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Bobby, do you require "Full Hookups". If you do, you are probably looking at $60 - $70 per night, if not and have the "Senior Pass" you can get by for $10 per night. The 3 campgrounds in Grand Teton NP are first come and rarely fill. There is an RV park at Colter Bay that takes reservations, charges $62 per night and is always full. Can not recommend the "Grand Teton RV Park at Moran. Dubois does not look far on a map, but you have quite a pass to transverse to get to the parks. If you are in Great Teton NP on Tuesday - Friday stop by "Menor's General Store & Ferry at Moose. I will be behind the counter and my cookies come out of the oven between 11 & 12:00. This is Carol and my 6th year work here working or the Grand Teton Association. Carol is in the bookstore at the Jenny Lake Visitor Center the same days.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Bobby,
We stayed at Riverside Inn and Campground in Dubois. Not a bad campground but the power was so low I was affraid to run the AC while we were gone.
The Wind River Canyon is a beautiful drive and from Dubois to Jackson is a nice trip also.
We drove to Jackson, Yellowstone and Tetons several times from there.
We towed the Montana over Togwotee Pass and it is not a bad pull.
Sorry I did not see the campground you ask about, but did see the KOA and it was right in town.
Hope you have a great trip.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The KOA on the west side of Yellowstone, a few miles south of West Yellowstone charges almost $75.00 a night when all the taxes are figured in. We were able to snag nights in West Yellowstone at Rustic Wagon, nothing fancy, but, clean and handy to stuff. It cost about $45.00 a night with the taxes. I suppose there are cheaper places to stay, maybe the park, etc, BUT, this works for us. We took the fur kids into the park every time we went, didn't bother to leave the Air conditioner on those days, and by the time we got back the temps were dropping and we ended up putting the heat on shortly after our returns.

Nothing is close here, guess that is why they say it is the BIG country?? With speed limits in most of the park of 45 MPH or LESS, and the bison that stand in the roads, it takes a long time to get anywhere. It took us about 12 hours to drive from West Yellowstone past Old Faithful, into Grand Tetons, down the roads that took us past Lewis Lake and to the end of the major loop, turned north on the only road that is 55 MPH and that doesn't last long, back to the south entrance to Yellowstone, back past Old Faithful, yes, we stopped, got lucky, it blew less than 15 minutes after we got there, and then back to West Yellowstone. If you think that last sentence was long, then you have NO idea what that day was like, MEGA LONG!

Yes, we had a blast, the scenery is yummy, there is still a LOT of snow past 7300 feet, some of the picnic areas in Yellowstone at 8200 feet are still full of snow and blocked off.

OHHH, bring bug spray, effective bug spray, and be sure you will not run out. Skeeters are carry you off bad in West Yellowstone right now, were not too bad in the park, above 7000 feet. Two days ago they were bad no matter where we were.

Have a great time, it sure is purdy country!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Bobby: If you have the old fart pass and don't need hookups there is a USFS cg 3 miles North of West Yellowstone for $8.00 per night, if you want electric it is $14.00. Many of the sites are pull thrus or large backins. Dump is in town at that $50.00 park.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thanks guys we have been rethinking the move Sil called and the park still has a lot of white stuff so they may go ahead but we are looking at going to rawlins wy then on to salt lake city for alittle while then to moab and the parks there abouts. spend some time in utah then las vegas. Carol I am a large person and I really hate to miss the cookies LOL. But thanks for the thought.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Oh, you should still come, all roads are open, except for part of the east entrance road, which is closed at the moment due to flooding and wash out (I believe that is what they said). The white stuff is not keeping us from anything we want to see, except for maybe getting into a picnic area or two. Even with all this white stuff it is about 55 to 60 degrees in the higher elevations. One day it was 59 but the sun and lack of wind made it feel a lot warmer, like in the 70's warm. There are no roads snow covered, well, not that we have found. The water is high, the water falls are full and FAB!!! We even saw trout jumping, I may have a photo, still have not downloaded the photos!

You might want to reconsider Las Vegas, I hear it was 105 down there the other day. Too hot for CountryGuy and his Mrs. My advice, for what it is worth, stay north of I 70! LOL Course, Bryce, Zion and Captital Reef are fabulous. Bryce is higher elevation, if you have breathing issues they will make themselves known there.

Just telling it as it is from where we sit and what our experiences have been.

The Grand Tetons with snow, OUTTA THIS WORLD BEAUTIFUL!!!! Lewis Lake still had some ice on the east shore side, stunning! But, NOT cold!!

Have fun, all places you are listing are wonderful! LOL Hard to choose, we missed some we wanted to do. RATS!! Only so much time.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote