Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Autoformer experts needed

Seeking electrical minded MOCers to give impressions advice, etc. on autoformer use. My understanding (please correct me if I am wrong)is there are two main brands of Autoformers: Hughes and Franks. My internet research is leading me towards Franks since I perceive they have two ranges of adjustment (8% and 16%) versus Hughes which only has one (10%). My question deals mainly with installation procedures with regards to potential future generator use. Obviously, I would prefer internal mounting due to theft concerns, but I think I read somwhere that there has to be some sort of bypass for generator use. Can somebody please confirm this and if possible send me to a photo album detailing installation alternatives. I am thinking in the basement but will listen to all guidance and recommendations as usual.
As always, thanks for your input. Looks like I am definitely going to do this or have it done this winter.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our first autoformer was from Franks. Even though the first one did not operate properly, he allowed me to "downgrade" from my 50-amp to a 30-amp with "better" circuitry--so he said. It cost me a lot of money but he did not stand behind the product. I've since purchased a Hughes 50-amp autoformer and have been greatly satisfied. At one time there was a lawsuit between Hughes and Franks but I don't know what the outcome was. I'm one who when I like a product I'll tell everyone about it, but when I don't have good results with a product I say nothing unless the opportunity presents itself, like this.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We have an Autoformer and love it. They are always boosting 2% and kick in 10% below 110. We totally fried ours last year and were told by Autoformer it was because we used it on a generator. Didn't give it any thought when we hooked the generator up, and expensive lesson. By the way, even after finding out how I fried it they would have repaired or replaced it had it been under warranty.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Orv,
Leads me to the next question.....will a 50 amp autoformer function under 30 amp hookups?? If not, how do we handle different amps at the post??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
bncinwv,

I can answer that one

YEP!

they even work on a 20 AMP service.

That said, ours is a built in, (hint, there is a web page on Al's install, follow the links to our web pages.)
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks a bunch Carol!!! That is excactly the kind of info I am looking for. No wonder I like this forum so much. Other installation details will be appreciated nonetheless from contributors, there is no such thing as too much knowledge!!
Bingo

Old 09-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Mine is also a 50 AMP Hughes and is also hardwired in but not by me. I ordered the 50 AMP through the same dealer I bought the Monty from. It was all part of the deal. What I didn't realize is the dealer hard wired it in for me. When I picked up the Monty I asked for my Autoformer. I was totally surprised when he said it was all wired in. And to think I was intending to have him wire it in and would have even paid for it. Sometimes things just work out in your favor.

And YES, as Carol said it will work fine when hooked to 30 or 20 AMP.

They couldn't sell me a Franks at 1/4 of the price of the Hughes. The reason for the lawsuit is Franks worked for Hughes and stole the plans. He than went into business for himself even though he had a non-compete clause in his Hughes contract. I spoke to both at The Rally in Oregon. Where Hughes tried to sell me his product he never mentioned Franks. When Franks tried his sales pitch on me all he did was knock Hughes down. Most everything out of his mouth was how superior his was compared to the Hughes unit. If he spent as much time SELLING HIS unit and less time KNOCKING HUGHES he just might have convinced me.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Good info Glenn, with that knowledge there is now way I could ethically purchase a unit from Franks, regardless of the price, it would be to me rewarding dishonesty which I cannot knowingly do. Thanks, now all I need to do is get the installation down pat for a 3400. I looked at Al's installation and see possibilities, but I am not sure since the electrical box is in a compartment over the W/D closet in mine. Doesn't appear to be as easy as his.
Bingo

Old 09-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have the Hughes Autoformer wired in permanently in the basement. As far as running a Kipor 3500TI generator with the Hughes Autoformer ... it DOES NOT work. I basically turned the input power cord connection at the breaker box into a female 50 amp plug installed in the basement wall right behind my electrical breaker box. I then ran a short 50 amp male plug from the back of the breaker box where the original input cord was thru the wall inside a grommet next to the female receptacle. The Autoformer is mounted near these two plugs. When I want to use shore power, I just connect the plugs appropriately to the Autoformer ... when I use the generator, I simply connect the two plugs mentioned above together ... bypassing the Autoformer.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Orv,
Leads me to the next question.....will a 50 amp autoformer function under 30 amp hookups?? If not, how do we handle different amps at the post??
Bingo
Absolutely. You just have to use the proper pigtail adapters. For example, you will need a 30-amp male to 50-amp female adapter and a 50-amp male to 30-amp female adapter. These will connect to the 50-amp autoformer, then you just use your 30-amp cable between the CG power post and the input to the autoformer, then connect another 30-amp cable from the output of the autoformer to the rig.

Orv
Old 09-06-2007, 02:17 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Is there anybody out there (age setting in, thinking of Pink Floyd for some reason now???) who has a system installed in a 3400 and can give me some wiring advice. As stated before, all of our fuse panels and breakers are above the toilet in the bathroom, so I am assuming main electrical functions are situated behind them (above the washer/dryer closet). Brad, I think I remember you stating yours is this way also??? Any chance you have an autoformer installation procedure to share (or anyone else). I guess last resort is to let the dealer handle it!!
Bingo

Old 09-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'd like to install ours internally in our 3400, too, so will be watching this topic. I have the same confusion/fear of messing it up. We have a washer and dryer in that closet so I cannot easily get to it from that side.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #13
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I have setup my 2007 340RLQ Big Sky (which has the same floor plan as the 3400) so that I can plug my Autoformer into the main power line coming into the rig. I cut into the main power line where it comes under the stairs up to the bedroom. I spiced in a portable Surge Protector into that main power line so that I could monitor the Surge Protector where I put it in the basement area. The splice connections for the Surge Protector involve using male and female plug-in connections which will allow me to plug in my Autoformer either before or after the Surge Protector.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #14
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
That has been a question that I have. I have been thinking of getting an autoformer, but have already hardwired a surge protector in. Does it make any difference if the autoformer is before or after the surge protector? Secondly, I have been thinking of getting a generator and have been told that an autoformer will not work with a generator? I wanted to hardwire the autoformer in, does that mean I will need a cutoff or have a bypass wired in so I can use the generator?

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:12 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

That has been a question that I have. I have been thinking of getting an autoformer, but have already hardwired a surge protector in. Does it make any difference if the autoformer is before or after the surge protector? Secondly, I have been thinking of getting a generator and have been told that an autoformer will not work with a generator? I wanted to hardwire the autoformer in, does that mean I will need a cutoff or have a bypass wired in so I can use the generator?
I think I may have mentioned this in another thread. If the surge protector is between the CG power pedestal and the autoformer and the CG power is less than 102 volts, the autoformer will not work because the surge protector (that is, if it is a Surge Guard) only provides power to the rig between 102 and 132 volts. With your surge protector hard-wired in, then the autoformer should be between it and the CG power.

Orv
Old 09-08-2007, 02:46 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have been thinking more about the dealer install and believe that is the route I will take. The only thing that may change my mind is the terms of the extended warranty protection. If I remember correctly, it will cover anything??? that the dealer installs into the unit. I think this will give me a six year warranty on the autoformer installation. I am going to try to verify this this morning. Any thoughts on my reasoning by those who have extended warranties?? Also, David, any chance you can post pictures of your installation for mine and hopefully dealers eventual installation. The dealer may have different ideas, but as always knowledge is good.
Bingo

Old 09-08-2007, 05:00 AM   #17
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Previous post was wrong, guess I will be installing it after all. Still needing advice, routing, pictures, etc. etc. etc. for autoformer internal install for 3400RL.
Bingo
Old 09-08-2007, 06:51 AM   #18
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I'd like to install ours internally in our 3400, too, so will be watching this topic. I have the same confusion/fear of messing it up. We have a washer and dryer in that closet so I cannot easily get to it from that side.
Our 3295 has the power panel and fuse in the bathroom. I pulled them out and found open space behind them. That space is above the ceiling for the washer dryer and has a wall above the washer dryer door. There is a lot of loose wires up there. I thought about using it for more storage.

I also will be watching this thread.

I am generator prep. Learning that the auto-former will not work when powered by a generator I am now going to have to make sure I wire it on the CG feed side of the switch over box. I also have a surge proctor and guess I will wire that in and then just have plugs that will allow me to plug in either device but not both at the same time.

I guess the surge protector would be used the most and when it trips then I would have to plug the auto former between the CG and the surge protector.

Maybe just leave that configuration wired all the time except when running off a generator as the CG source.

I was just drawing this up and think it would be ok to put the surge protector between the generator switching box and the circuit breakers.

Autoformer drawing
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #19
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Let's see if I understand this right.
I want to go CG-autoform-surgeguard-rv.
can also go generator-surgeguard-rv.
If I use the generator I cannot use the autoformer.
Have I got it down right?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:27 AM   #20
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
John, as long as you wire the unit in before the switch over box you should be OK.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote