Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #21
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Both of the Flying J stations we visited here in the Mid-Atlantic region during our trip last month had signs up saying that they were no longer accepting Visa credit cards. They wouldn't even take a debit card because it had a Visa logo on it. Is that a universal policy of Flying Js, or only a local/regional restriction?

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:17 AM   #22
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The Visa card cannot be swiped at the Truck pumps but is accepted at the RV and Car pumps and in the store. When using the truck pumps do not swipe your card but instead take it in the store to pay. They will accept it inside but not at the pump and you will get the cash price.

I use Flying J every opportunity I can. This summer with our travels from Florida to Missouri up to northern New York and than across country to the Calif coast I used Flying J's every chance I could. Probably 85% of my fuel purchases were at FJs. If I can't get to the RV pumps I will use the Car pumps and rarely have I ever had a problem getting into or away from the Car pumps. I only use the truck pumps when the others are over crowded and yes the large nozzle does fit my GMC.
I have always received the cash price and always received the penny discount whether I purchased 20 gallons or just 15 gallons.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:37 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Lisa

The problem I have found with using the truck pumps vice the car and rv is the larger nozzle on the pump. It doesn't fit in the hole in my gas tank fill spout. Is there an adapter that you can buy and carry with you to enable you to easily use the truck pumps?

Bill
Bill, you must not have a Ford or Dodge? Both my Fords and this Dodge accept the larger nozzle. I wonder if there is a knockout that could be knocked out on yours? Or would you have to retrofit the opening flange from a later model? Or is the inlet pipe also that small size?

I haven't seen a Flying J where I could swipe either Visa or Master Card at the truck pumps. It sounds like they're out there but I've not found one. I use my Master Card with the Rewards card, swiping both, at the RV pumps and get the cash price and discount.

Anybody know whether the Flying J's have ULSD at the truck pumps now? Are there just certain lanes with ULSD and are they well marked so you don't have to drive up to the pump to find out?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:28 PM   #24
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My Discover Card is a 5% back card, but there is a limit, I think, $1200 per year. Soon they will alter the deal so that it is limited to $100/month. This is in response to folks that use up the limit in one or two months and then stop using it until the next calendar year.

So guess what, I will be searching for another high rebate card to use after the first $100 each month. Is there another good one other than Chase?

On flying J, I have used them exclusively on this trip from Texas to Canada. They have given the best price plus the penny discount for cash prices at the RV pumps. Good Sam has the penny deal with Petro, but I haven't used it yet. I can't seem to find them when I need them. Flying J is listed in the Next Exit and conveniently placed.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #25
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
The first time I used a Flying J was on my two week trip earlier this month between DC and Georgia. Both times I went to a Flying J I must have pulled up to a "truck" pump. Both times, the signs on the pumps said that the station wouldn't accept Visa cards. Even when we went inside to pay, the cashier would not take a debit card from Wachovia because the card had the Visa logo on it and they refused to take Visa. Since others haven't had a problem using Visa cards at Flying Js, it makes me think this must have been some local/regional restriction.

Now, I apologize in advance for asking a dumb question, but I'm confused. As for "truck" vs. "RV" vs. "car" pumps, how do you tell which are the "RV" pumps? Each time I just pulled into the first empty spot I saw, which in retrospect must have been truck pumps. Both times, the pumps offered only low sulfur diesel with the fat nozzles, which my Ford had no problem with. Was there a sign that said "RV" lane(s) that I just missed?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #26
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Yes, the RV lanes are off to the side of the car lanes. Usually 2 lanes and the propane tank is in that area, as well as a dump station. There is usually a line of RV's waiting to get in.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #27
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
Stiles,
You asked if there was another good rebate card out there. You might look at CITI Bank Drivers Edge Card. Mine gives me 6% back on fuel, grocery and something else for one year, then reverts to 1% or 2%. In addition it gives you one cent per mile driven. I signed up my VW Jetta diesel which gets around 50 mpg so I get not only the 6% for fuel purchases for both the truck and car, which is about 18 cents per gallon. but also get what amounts to 50 cents a gallon off for my Jetta. Brings my Jetta fuel costs down about 68 cents depending on retail price per gallon.
Ken
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:08 AM   #28
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
additionally if you don't have your rig in tow, pump 5&6 in the car pump area are diesel.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:34 AM   #29
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Lisa

additionally if you don't have your rig in tow, pump 5&6 in the car pump area are diesel.

Not always. Depending on the Flying J the diesel pumps in the car area can be anywhere. I have been in FJs where they had 3 islands and found the diesel pumps on either or both ends and quite often in the middle island.
And even with the Monty in tow I will use these pumps. As said before the RV pumps are usually clogged with inconsiderate Class A drivers that feel they own that spot and can tie it up as long as they want. One 5er driver came into the store to complain about a class A driver that was eating lunch in his rig while fueling. The pump had stopped but still in the rig for at least 5 minutes. The store clerk did apologize but said there was nothing he could do about it.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote