Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2007, 02:28 AM   #21
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Ok, Ozzie. Gotta ask. What is Polish Golf? And does one need to be Polish to play?

CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:52 AM   #22
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Goodness me ... this sounds like a PR-person's "notepad" for an RV ad! Have to agree with all of the above ... also have to admit to getting an idea or two for future activities.

I have to say that I have found that one of the best things about camping/rving is actually being in areas that had previously only been pictures and stories in books and magazines. The thrill of walking among the giant Sequoia trees or hiking down a trail to be among the hoo-doos in Bryce Canyon or simply wading out to a sit on a rock in a stream ... unbelieveably amazing. And to be able to walk on a beach in January rather than dealing with snow and ice is absolutely priceless.

As others have said, this is a beautiful country with unlimited possibilities ... don't overplan ... just let the discoveries happen.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:45 AM   #23
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CanDo

Ok, Ozzie. Gotta ask. What is Polish Golf? And does one need to be Polish to play?
Hehe...I was wondering if someone would ask. It is fairly popular in the campgrounds in this area and goes by a few different names - Ladder Golf, Hillbilly Golf...etc. You know, usually politically incorrect names. LOL

It's a campground site game for all ages, very fun and gets the competitive juices flowing. It's a rack made of PVC pipe and you use two golf balls tied to a foot long rope, then toss it like Horseshoes.

I found a link...

http://www.tourbeaufort.com/laddergolfgame.htm

I should look for the parts list to make it. Other than the cost of the balls it's under 20 bucks.

and here's a link to the rules...

http://www.laddergolf.com/ladder-gol...cial-rules.php
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:52 AM   #24
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
We found some mis-match golf balls from the local course for one $1/Dozen and have made up a couple of sets so far.
We also love to cook everything over an open fire and normally don't use the stove or oven in the camper for most of the summer. We find it a challenge to make new things and once we perfect them, we normally invite the neighbors over and share in the feast.

Funny thing though it seems like we stay up later and get up earlier when we are camping. I just love to wake up and see all the wildlife in the early morning before the sun comes up. A couple of my camping buddies are big into photography and are starting to get me interested in it as well.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #25
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Welll, this morning I got up, stumbled down the stairs, scratched, got a cup of Coffee, said good morning to the cats, fed the cats, watched Imus in the Morning, fast forwarded through all the commercials on the Tivo, (makes his show about 1/4 as long) fell asleep, woke up and had more Coffee. Read the paper Steve next door leaves on my bike rack.
Watched Judge Brown, took another nap. Made eggs and sausage in the microwave so I wouldn't have to clean the stove......
Drank a V-8 Juice, took a shower, woke Sue up.
Took inventory on my wind toys, Sue made more Coffee, watched Mikey and Vinny take a scooter trip up to New England and get Lobsters for the shop.
Visited when Bob dropped by, a MOC member, real name Richard, don't know where the Bob came from......Watched Myth buster re-runs on Tivo, ate some cheese, Tommy and Debra from Huston stopped by, Sue sold her a beaded Texas Longhorn bracelet, getting ready to watch Judge Marilyn Milyon in Peep's Court, then Judge Judy.
Sue's making jewelry.
We're going to my brother and sister's condo this evening and have shrimp for dinner, and look at the ocean surf 6 stories down.
That's about it for today.............
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:26 AM   #26
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
All of the above are great ways to live your RVing lifestyle. Like Steve and Vicki and a few others we have toned down our hurry hurry way of life.
During the Spring, Summer and Fall months we do the travel thingy and of course try to make as many MOC rallies we can. In our 3+ years of full timing we have stayed pretty much East of the Mississippi but this summer we will be heading to Oregon for the Good Sam Rally. With the exception of the various rallies we rarely travel with reservations as we are never 100% sure where we will be heading in the morning. To me reservations are "schedules" and from all the years of being on the job "schedules" were a must thing. Be at work at 8, lunch at noon go home at 5 with all sorts of appointments in between. Even weekends and vacations were all pretty much "schedules" Since retiring we have pretty much done away with any sort of "schedules". We do what we want when we want.
Winter months are spent here at Avalon RV Resort in Florida. Avalon is a great park with all types of local attractions. Busch Gardens is just across the bay in Tampa and Disney, Sea World and Universal Studios are just an hour and a half away.
The park also has many activities such as Bid Euchre, Bingo, Darts, Card Games and Pot Lucks dinners, Breakfasts, Dances and every Thursday night the park musicians and singers get together for a Jam Session. That in itself is a real HOOT. Every Monday morning we get together for coffee, doughnuts and a BS session followed by a brief meeting. We also have 9 well kept Shuffle Courts. On Tuesdays we all get together for the Fun Shuffle where beginners and the experienced shufflers get together and have a great time shuffling. On Wednesday the more experienced shufflers compete against other parks. This year I did join the team. AND YES, this is "scheduling" but these are FUN "schedules". I also built my own ladder golf game.

My philosophy about retirement and RVing is We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"
You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.
BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you cannot stop to rest.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:53 AM   #27
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Ozz,
Your camping style seems to be more like my experiences so far, which have only been a few trips. If it's cold stay inside read & watch TV. If it's hot guess what, stay inside. That's why we pay all the big bucks for the camper, right? So far our real camping experiences have been waking up to ice or heavy forest so we are looking forward to this year, being able to enjoy the warmer time of year.

If it's not real cold or real hot I enjoy getting outside and looking at the distant view, cooking on the grill, setting in a chair and thinking or taking a few pictures. I have a bad knee so walking any distance becomes a real pain. I like to look at the literature on the area we are in and plan/dream of going to see the local sites which usually requires walking so big pain again.

If our kids and grandkids are along (separate campers) then I don't have to wary, my day gets planned for me. I find having them around does add more excitement to the stay since something is always happing with them that impacts us.

Reading the post on MOC really makes me look forward to this year, enjoying this great country and experencing camping like you guys.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:51 AM   #28
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Cyrus, I'd like to sit around the campfire with you sometime and check that view out with you. There's no rule that a guy has to be on the run all the time.
Glenn, it sounds like you have found your ideal retirement, it is different with all of us, and we find our comfort zone. At times I blaze around the island, snooping around every corner to see what I can observe, and sometimes I am Mr. Couch Potato.
It's interesting seeing what all of us do and like.
Whatever it is.....Get-er-done!!!
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:20 AM   #29
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
An RV is different things to different people. To Donna and I, an RV is simply a home we can take with us when we travel. If I had the magical ability to shrink my stick house to the size of a deck of cards and carry it with us, then expand it back to full size , I would not need or want an RV. I could never understand people that buy an RV, set it up 20 miles from home, and spend every weekend in it. I know people that do that just love it and get more use of their RV but that is not for us. We love taking a home with us and I have never stayed in a Motel or a Hotel that felt as comfortable as my own RV.
I get amused out of people that think we only own RVs to save money on rooms and my favorite example for them is a question."Do you really think a guy buys a million dollar diesel pusher bus to save money on travel expenses?" No, he does it because this is the way he wants to live and travel and I agree. it is a wonderful way to live and travel.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:07 PM   #30
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I am the early riser. I make coffee, walk the dogs, take a shower, watch a little TV. Wake Don up and make breakfast.
we plan the day on where we will go or what we will do.

we have visited more friends and relatives then we did before we traveled in the Monty.

We like to sight see and visit places we have never been. Like meeting people and making new friends. We also enjoy attending rallies. Enjoy seeing old friends too.
Like to sit outside and cook outside, I am the griller since Don doesn't cook anything. He can barely boil water. But I will keep him anyway.
Dusty
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote