Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
Montana_6703

M.O.C. #6703
wantabees

we're going to do this!!! We are looking at a Montana (7435) trying to educate ourselves before we do this - dealers are telling us a 3/4 ton truck is fine - Dick's gut feeling is to get a 1 ton - we plan to full-timers - looking for any and all advice we can get from full-timers....

Montana_6703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Any Montana model can be towed comfortably by any of the current HD 3/4 ton trucks diesel or gas. The only consideration you truly have would be to buy a diesel or a gasser. As a full timer I highly recommend the diesel. Over all you get your best bang for the buck in a diesel. Yes slightly higher fuel cost at the pump but considerably better MPG with a diesel. Also longevity is considerably greater with a diesel than any of the gassers.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Just want to say hello and welcome to the MOC. Sorry, I am not going to enter the ridiculous truck size fight. Just buy the most truck you can afford and enjoy. Really glad to have you aboard. Happy RVing....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You must mean the 3475, The 07 has a gvwr of 15785 and a pin weight of 1980(Empty) and it is a true statement that any Montana model can be "pulled" comfortably with any HD 3/4 ton gas or Diesel truck. However you might want to research the "truck" issue before you make any decisions. Gas or diesel is a choice that may be based on need. We now have a 05 V-10 because that is what we needed. We will no doubt have a 08 6.4 Diesel because that is what we will need.Welcome to the forum there is a great deal of good information here. But we are just ordinary people and we are not always entirely correct in our advise. ....One should always give consideraton to their "gut Feeling"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Everyone is right on this one Glenn, Stiles and RIch - Pick the one you feel most comfortable with and that will fit your personal needs and go for it. We and that means EVERYONE of us in the MOC Family will be there with all kinds of help and advise for you as you are traveling down this road of adventure and awe.
Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Read Bert's (CAT320) many post on this subject. He has explained the issues involved very well many times.

What advantage would there to buying a 3/4 ton? The length is the same and as expensive as these trucks are the cost difference isn't very much. As fulltimers you will no doubt carry more stuff than someone with a stick house.

I have to agree with both Stiles and Glenn. Buy the most truck you can afford and buy a diesel.

Remember, no one ever complained because they had too much truck!
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dick and Jan, if you can afford the larger truck (1 ton) then one nice thing about it, you don't have to worry so much about weight. You can put some things in the truck because it can handle it. A dually can handle even more so you might want to look along those lines. And don't be afraid of the dually. We have a long bed dually 3500 crew cab pulling our 3400. I can drive the truck and can even go to WalMart with it. It is our only vehicle so it has to take us every where. Welcome to the MOC - hope to see you at one of the rallys.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Go for the Freightliner M2 Sportchassis, Sporthauler, or the Neely Coble addition. Then when you step up to a larger 5th wheel, you will not have to worry about buying a larger truck. =)

www.sportchassis.com
www.sporthauler.com
www.neelycoble.com
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:23 AM   #9
Jaelyn
Established Member

M.O.C. #619
Dick,
All good advice. Both will do the job. (Only personal preference.)I had a 1 ton v-10 2000 which handled a big sky 3070 very nicely. Traded it in 2006 for a 1 ton diesel dually.When pulling and stoping that kind of weight at 60 to 70 miles per hour, I want that comfortable feeling that I have enough truck.
Tom
Jaelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
You're leaving this up to me again, huh guys? OK, I'll bite...Dick you are 100% correct, go with your gut. As Glenn says, any diesel will 'tow' any Montana just fine. However, towing is not the issue, with 3/4 ton trucks, the biggest weakness is the ability to carry the pin weight without exceeding GVWR. Most 3/4 ton trucks will exceed their GVWR. You can read all about the 3/4 drivers that say...'pulls fine no problems' ...most of whom are over weight. Check the sticker on the rear door pillar of any 3/4 ton truck, the one regarding tire ratings and loading specs. It will tell you what the max capacity is for that truck...the owner's manaul, truck web sites, truck brochures, etc will not give you this information. The max load includes everything, pin weight, hitch weight, passengers, cargo and everything else you put in your truck.

It's going to be your truck, if you want to tow over weight, that's up to you, but you need to know the facts, which you will not always get on these forums. I would not want to spend lots of money on a TV and or 5th wheel only to find out they were not compatable and not do what I want them to do.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:54 AM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Dick , I will send you a PM. I just don't want to hurt the feelings of the 3/4 ton crowd any more.

Also read the thread in the long timers forum about this same topic.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #12
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We went with a 1 ton because I felt (notice I said "I felt") it would be better. Also, the cost difference was $490. So, why not?
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I have not looked at the tow specs of the 07's but my 05 Ford F250 SD with 6.0 PSD had the same tow rating as the F350. There was a small difference for pin weight allowance. But at nearly $37K I had spent about what I was prepared to.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote