Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rear hitch.....

Anyone put a rear hitch on the Mountaineer fifth wheels. Looks like it might be a problem with the slide out rear extension, but surely someone on here has mastered it. I searched, but found nothing. Any ideas?

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Hey Slick.............( I've always wanted to say that )

This is a pretty controversial issue that gets fairly heated at times. I don't have a Mountaineer, but I, and others, do have a rear hitch, and have caught some flak about it. It's do-able, but not without risk. Lippert ( the company that builds the frames ), says they will not warranty any frame that has been modified in any way, including rear hitches. However, Lippert only warranty's the frames to the initial purchaser, Keystone. Keystone, in turn warrantys the frame to the end user, and they do this on a claim by claim basis.

Frame flex is not the only concern, safety is also an issue. Towing two trailers requires greater driving skills, and an intensified awareness of everything around you. It is also illeagal in some states, and requires special drivers license endorsements in others.

There have been several posts on this topic that you can find using the search feature at the top of the page.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:02 AM   #3
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I also have looked into the warranty of the frame. I did ask Lippert about frame mounted hitch and was told, for a bike carrier hitch ALL must stay under 150#s. That 150# would also include the bike or bikes. They did state to use only a 1 1/4" hitch size.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

I also have looked into the warranty of the frame. I did ask Lippert about frame mounted hitch and was told, for a bike carrier hitch ALL must stay under 150#s. That 150# would also include the bike or bikes. They did state to use only a 1 1/4" hitch size.
This surprises me, as the slide out rear bumper on the Mountaineer is rated to carry 200 lbs. IIRC, the slide out is specfically designed to carry bikes, although I think a grill would be more appropiate for me. I'm not sure I would add a hitch, just tossing the idea around. I think with my boat behind the 5er, I would bust the 65' limit here in TX. (BTW, it's just an aluminum John boat.)
Old 12-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Wiil looking at the specifications it may help the Mountaineer because it can carry 1830 more pounds than the trailer I have. The hitch weight is near the same.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
I do believe that a 3400RL with an 8' enclosed cargo trailer tagging along, and being pulled with a 2500HD crewcab short bed would measure out at about 64'11", and would be legal in Texas.

I may be just guessing?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:31 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Not sure they enforce the towing laws too much in TX. From what I have read, 65' maximum length, first trailer must be fifth wheel. Now I know I see those bumper pull flat beds pulled in tandom everywhere around here. (Lots of them built in East TX.) Occasionally I see a TT with a boat behind it.