Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Transfer Flow Aux. Fuel tank

Yyesterday I had the Transfer Flow toolbox/aux. tank installed in the Silverado. It is a 30 gal. aux. tank. somewhat pricey when all said and done, but I think it will be worth it for our needs.

After picking up the TV from the shop, the aux. tank was empty and the OEM tank was half full, about 13 gallons. I didn't stop to fill up the aux. tank because I wanted to go to a gas station near the rv park where the diesel was at a good price, about 18 miles from the shop where I had the tank installed. My OEM gas gauge read a 1/2 tank and my new TRAC II for the Transfer Flow read 13 gallonms when I started out from install shop. By the time I had gone 5 miles, my OEM gauge read 1/4 tank and the TRAC II said 7 gallons. Needless to say, I was concerned knowing I had a 1/2 tank, and was wondering if the install was done correctly. When I filled up the OEM tank it took 12 1/2 gallons (have a 26 gal. tank) which was the correct amount of diesel I thought I needed. I filled up the 30 gal aux. tank to the full 30 gal.. I drove to the rv park a mile away without any change in gauges. This morning, I started the TV and WALLAH, the OEM read full on the OEM fuel gauge, and 26 gallons on the TRAC II readout. The aux. tank read 30 gals.. After driving 100 miles today, all gauges read correctly, including OEM range, fuel used, fuel gauge, as well as the TRAC II showed that I had used 5 gals of fuel, and had 22 gals in the OEM and 30 gals. in the aux. tank. So, needlesss to say, if you get the Transflow, give its computer enough time to figure out where it is at. I am very pleased with all of the readouts being correct, and am looking forward to going past all of the higher priced gas stations on the road. If you own a GMC product, the range gauge will only show range available from the OEM tank and not the combined range of both tanks. Hope this made sense.

bob

rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:25 AM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Interesting. The two times I went to have an install done at the factory in Chico they filled both tanks at the time of instal. I didn't have a choice in the matter. They said it was something about the calibration. Anyway, I have been totally satisfied with Transfer Flow. Expensive - Yes. Good product - heck yes.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:13 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bob, nice mod to the ole work horse. Now if your kidneys hold out, you can make some miles!
Headed to the Gulf yet? Sounds like your checklist is getting smaller. How is the CCW class coming?
You may see Rich and Helen soon if you are still there. Hey, I'm still munching on the sausages you and Barb gave us, Yummy!!
Take care Pal, Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:37 AM   #4
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
ozz, will leave tucson on 27th of Dec.. new Year's in Fredericksburg, Tx. and then on to Gulf Shores. CCW class is tomorrow. Glad you enjoyed the sausages. Got my last Schwan's delivery yesterday. Lots of goodies. Yep the checklist is definitely going down. fortunately all the fuel gauges and milage gauges are working great today after another 100 miles, so think the Transflow is a winner.

Illapah, you are right about a good product. Sure is nice to have the added insurance of the extra fuel. I even got over the pocketbook shock when I filled up both tanks for over $100. First time I have had a fuel pump stop at the $100 mark, and then had to rescan the ole credit card. My North Dakota buddy parked next to me in a 40 ft motorhome, thought it was a hoot to see one of us 5er guys hit the century mark at the pump.

Happy Holidays to All..........
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote