Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2006, 02:38 PM   #21
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Good one Cat, I always enjoy a good laugh. BSMeaton, comparing trucks to gals.

I do it all the time, My big Babe the sweet V10 is like Catherine Zeta Jones. A Dodge Cummins is more like a Rozanne Barr. Who would you rather spend time with? A Chev is like Oprah.

Oh, David's truck will be at least 8500 with the hitch on ready to tow and he really should not be calling the 6.0 a classic. It has suffered one of the shortest engine runs in Ford's history. I would call it an assick.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:36 AM   #22
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Cat, Cat, Cat..Me thinks that you doth protest too much. Is that reflective of some underlying insecurity that Chevy owners are feeling. Wonder what that's all about. LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!

OK, since you and others have focused on both appearance and performance, let's look at both of them--Ford vs Chevy.

First--Appearance. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder--everyone is entitled to his opinion. Cat, you apparently find Chevys to be more attractive. That's OK with me--you're entitled to your opinion, HUMBLE though it be. LOL!!! To me, however, it's the Ford that looks like a TRUCK!!!! I was also suprised that my DW also thought the Ford was more attractive, especially on the inside--I thought for sure she would be more attracted to the Chevy--PHEW!! Because I had already concluded that the Chevy SRW was out of the running because of its WIMPY PERFORMANCE!!!!!

And don't bother talking to me about duallys. Not only do I find the dually's WIDE BUTT to be less attractive than a SRW, but my condo association also has concluded that those big rear ends were too unattractive to be allowed into the party. So if we are going to talk PERFORMANCE, the comparison has to be between SRW trucks. And there, the Ford F350 wins hands down!!!

First of all, don't bring up that irrelevant noise about torque and towing capacity. As has been said many times on this forum, ANY diesel will pull any Monty. Let's talk PAYLOAD!!! The "tire" sticker on the door of the F350 SRW 4x4 CC LB PSD I test drove showed a payload capacity of almost 3800#. Although I couldn't find a comparably equipped Chevy 3500, the 2500 SRW 4x4 CC LB I test drove had a payload capacity of less than 2300#, and the salesman indicated that the payload capacity of the 3500 SRW 4x4 CC LB would probably only be about 500# higher. I posted a request on this forum for any information indicating that the Chevy 3500 actually could compete with the Ford F350 SRW, and Cat you yourself confirmed that the payload for a 3500 SRW 4x4 CC LB would probably be less than 2700#. Over 1000# difference!!!! So my Ford maybe lots heavier, but that's because it is REALLY BUILT to perform. And invoking bsmeaton's comparing trucks to gals, boy do I like a gal who is REALLY BUILT and can PERFORM!!!!!!! LOL!!! LOL!!!!

So, the F350 SRW beats the pants off the Chevy 3500 SRW in the performance category of most importance to me, and IMO is the more attractive gal. So go ahead and enjoy your Chevy with its WIDE BUTT while I enjoy my REALLY BUILT Ford. LOL!!! LOL!!!

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:01 AM   #23
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
David, I like your last post. LOL. I drive Chevs on some of the jobs I work at. Give me a tough bone breaking Ford any time. Nice to see we can all have an opinion and still have fun.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2006 Montana 2955RL
Old 09-01-2006, 09:10 AM   #24
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Congrats, Cat. We all know that is one fine towing/riding machine you've got there!
Obviously I am a GM man currently, but I certainly am open to considering other options. Let's face it all the BIG 3 trucks are comparable and any differences come down to indiviual preferences.

David: I am not sure where you salesperson gets his/her info from but the PRINTED specs from GM clearly show that a 3500/CC/LB/2WD/SRW has a payload of 3680lbs. So, again the difference of some 100 lbs doesn't give anyone a clear advantage.

My wife & I are still on the prowl for a new TV and we have even looked at the Dodge Mega cab, very nice!!!

Darwin & Maureen DeBackere
Minnedosa, Manitoba, Canada.
Driving 02/Chevy/Crew/3/4Ton/Duramax/Allison
Pulling 03/2955rl
Those REALLY IN CHARGE! Amie & Heidi, The Schnauzers!!!
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:42 AM   #25
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Darwin:

On this point, Cat (despite his distorted views about Ford trucks--LOL!!!) will agree with me entirely--the PRINTED specs about payload aren't worth diddlesquat. They are the payloads for stripped down versions and generally don't reflect the weight that has to be deducted for various options and features like diesel engines, automatic transmission, air conditioning, limited slip axles, etc. It was Cat himself who taught me about the need to look at the "tire sticker" on the door frame to see what the actual cargo capacity limits were for a particular truck. That's where I discovered just how much those options and features drop actual payloads below the printed payloads.

For example, the printed payload for the 2007 Chevy 2500 CC SB is 3317# for 4x4--the actual payload capacity, as per the tire sticker on the truck I test drove, was only 2272# equipped with the Duramax engine with Allison trans. While the actual payloads of the Ford trucks are also lower than their printed payload numbers, the Ford numbers start higher (due to their higher GVWR) so that the actual payload for a F350 CC LB 4x4 with diesel and auto trans is almost 3800#, much higher than a comparable Chevy 3500.

This comes at a cost--Cat's point--which is that the Ford trucks are heavier than the Chevy trucks, cutting into their net towing capacity. I agree with Cat that a Chevy 3500 dually, like he purchased and I considered, gives you both ample payload and towing capacity. But if you are looking at SRW rather than dually, Ford F350s give you higher payloads, which may be critical depending on the pin weight of the RV you are towing.

How about it Cat man--am I right or not?????

So Darwin, when you go look at these vehicles, look for that "tire sticker" on the door of units that have the features and options you want so you know what the payloads the truck can actually handle.

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
Old 09-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #26
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
David...Of course you are right about the Chevy SRW lousy load capacity...if you'll recall, I'm the guy that gave you that piece of information! Also, that's why did not buy one. Truth be told, one of the main reasons I got a Chevy (other than the very obvious that have been clearly articulated) is that my BIL is a GM contractor and we got an employee price!

Re your earlier post...I don't buy a truck because it's 'pretty' in fact I really don't want a pretty truck, but if you like your pretty truck that's fine. And, I sure would not tell anybody the DW picked out or had any influence over my truck buying!!LOL

The truth is, if you get enough truck, any of the big three can do the job. And, if or when, Honda/Toyota get around to making a one ton diesel...our big three better watch out, they just think they are in trouble now.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:20 PM   #27
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
CAT--now here is where I REALLY REALLY DISAGREE with you!!!!

I am willing to SHOUT TO THE WHOLE WORLD the fact that-----I allowed my DW to influence my choice of what truck to buy!!! LOL LOL LOL!!!

Hey, I figure if she is willing to go along with my dream of retiring and traveling all around the national and state parks out west in an RV, the least I could do is listen to her preferences when it comes to the truck and RV she is going to spend so much time in. And I'm man enough to SHOUT THAT TO THE WORLD!!! LOL LOL!!!

And you better be careful or someone may tell your DW about your post!!!

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
Old 09-01-2006, 12:41 PM   #28
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
My DW does exactly what I tell her to do, when I tell her to do it, and how I tell her to do it...period, no questions, no back talk, no nothing. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Besides, she has never been on or read any thing on this forum!!
Old 09-01-2006, 05:32 PM   #29
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Bert--boy are you subject to blackmail!!!! I'll bet all we have to do is pass this thread to your DW and you'd be singing a different tune!!!

In any event, I'm not changing my tune--I will include my DW's opinions into the decision as to what RV and pickup we decide to get, and I have no trouble with taking that tack. UNLIKE SOME GUYS, I FEEL NO THREAT TO MY MASCULINITY in including my DW in such decisions!!!! LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
Old 09-01-2006, 07:06 PM   #30
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well I guess it is a good thing I am single!! LOL! I dont have to check with anyone but myself, and we all know what brand will be parked in my garage. =) After finishing the 1st leg of my journey covering approx. 2400 miles, the GM Duramax is the choice of the RV Transport drivers. Saw 3 GM to 1 Ford. Passed only 2 Dodge transport drivers. I am very happy to see that GM is back in the running for diesel truck owners. On a side note, every transport driver I passed all had a 1 ton dually. Did not matter what they were towing, a 25' TT or a 40' 5th wheel. I am very excited about the upcoming rally, I am going to be making a trip to the transport companies, I have alot of questions for them. =)

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:48 AM   #31
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Duramax's are cleaning up out west and one of the reason's is the Ford Sick litre's shrinking list of fans. Many new Duramax and Cummins owners got stung like I did with a sorry six and Ford themselves have admitted the warranty costs on the 6.0 are excessive.

There is a company in California putting new Cummins diesels into brand new Ford Superduties.
Probably use the swapped out 6.0s for boat anchors.

Ford really needs this new 6.4 to be a winner and to regain the lost market share caused by the 6.0's sorry reputation. I too can hardly wait for Toyota to get into this market segment so we can make the competition even keener.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2006 Montana 2955RL
Old 09-02-2006, 04:29 AM   #32
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
BOAT ANCHOR??? BOAT ANCHOR???? Come on Don, tell us what you REALLY think about the Ford 6.0Ls??? LOL LOL LOL!!!!

What are you trying to do--make me feel bad for buying a 2007 F350 PSD??? LOL LOL!!!!!!

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
Old 09-02-2006, 07:01 AM   #33
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
David, I do like to laugh with people, never at them. I truly hope you get one of the good 6.0s, there are a few out there. I did meet three people who loved the 6.0 and said how good it was for their businesses. They were the 3 haul truck drivers that hauled me in. I was hauled in 4 times but one guy hauled me in twice. All 3 loved the 6.0 and had met many, many 6.0 owners that hated the 6.0 even more than I did. If I ever hear of a gathering place for the engineers that brought that sorry thing to market..........I am going to streak the place in my thong.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2006 Montana 2955RL
Old 09-02-2006, 07:38 AM   #34
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
THONG??? THONG????

Jo-Anna spotted your other post about running around outside in your thong--that definitely got her attention. LOL!! But don't say anything more about it on Cat's thread here or the Invisible Hand may close this thread down as well. LOL LOL

Thanks for your good wishes on my 6.0L--I sure hope it works out well for me. If not, I hope it craps out while I still have warranty protection--I really appreciated Ford's decision to extend the warranty period on the powertrain to a full 60 months/60,000 miles.

Don't catch a cold from running around outside in those chilly conditions at Wally's World!!!

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
Old 09-02-2006, 08:19 AM   #35
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
On the serious side, when you get your new Ford, think about buying an AAA plan that will haul you up to 200 miles. If you just rely on the Ford Haul plan, they only tow you to the nearest Ford dealer and small town dealers are not as likely to have a good diesel mechanic. I got burned this way and the second time mine broke down I paid 150 dollars to get it towed 40 miles to a dealer I trusted. The third time I broke down I was close to the big dealer I trusted but Ford likes out sourcing and the gentleman I was trying to communicate with on my cell phone may have been in Calcutta, India studying a copy of "English for Dummies" because it was very difficult to converse with him. He sent the Haul truck to the wrong place, it was winter, I froze waiting over 2 1/2 hours for a truck. The second person I contacted after 90 minutes could speak some English and was able to get me a truck.

The plan I now have will pull me and my Montana for up to 200 miles if I should ever break down.
It is through BCAA. They use people that speak English . Much better. Good Luck.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2006 Montana 2955RL
Old 09-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #36
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations on the new truck. I'm very happy with my Ford 6.0 (VERY happy) but when the time comes to trade I'll consider them all. Yep, my SRW weighs 8,000 pounds but that's why it's gvwr is 10,000, tow rating is 15,400, and gcwr is 23,000, all of which is more than most 1 ton SRW's of other brands. In other words, the extra weight buys me more ability. You can't tow heavy weights without more beef.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:18 AM   #37
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I don't want to get in another weight discussion, but you have to have the high GVWR and GCWR because your truck is so heavy. You are not carrying any more cargo, or have the ability to carry more, you are carrying a heavier truck. 10000 GVWR and 8000 truck = 2000 cargo, like all brands of 3/4s.

Bert and Betty
Fort Smith, AR
2007 Silverado Classic 3500, DRW, D/A, CC
2007 Montana 3400RL
Old 09-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #38
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Glad to see all the new GM trucks being bought, especially the ones with the 11.5" rear axle. Your keeping my job alive, I manufacture these axles and and propshafts. Thank you! Stacy UAW Local 2093

Bill & Stacy
Three Rivers, MI
04 Chevy 2500HD 8.1/A sb,cc,4x4
Spencer our German shorthair camping/hunting buddy
Prodigy
2006 3400rl spruce
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #39
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
wswebster...this is my fourth Chevy truck, and I have to tell you, I think GM's engineers and bean counters, along with upper management, are just plain fools. I can see why they are in financial trouble, and, as I have said before, when Honda/Toyota start making one ton dually diesels, the American big three can kiss it good bye. The hiearchy at GM do the dumbest things imaginable, all to save a buck (literally). I sold an 05 1500 LT to buy my dually. The 05 had the most comfortable seats in any vehicle I had ever owned, even more so than the DW's 2006 Acura. In this truck, with the same trim level, they eliminated the two extra side lumbars which were wonderful on long trips. On the 05, the trailer tow package came with the small adapter that took the electrical receiver next to the bumper from a seven pin to a four pin connection...for small trailers, well, they eliminated that too. The side storage pockets in the rear doors are gone. This is just three small items, there are more. It's not the money, it's just that they do stupid things that are going to drive customers away, not make then come back to buy again. Why did I buy from them this time you ask...I'm comfortable in a Chevy, it will do the job (so will Ford and Dodge), and, nearly forgot...my BIL is a GM contractor so we get an employee price. As a former businessman, I can tell 'em how to fix the problem, but they won't listen and would not like my solution...and neither would most employees.

Bert and Betty
Fort Smith, AR
2007 Silverado Classic 3500, DRW, D/A, CC
2007 Montana 3400RL
Old 09-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #40
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bert, the only problem with that statement is my 2005 F250 weighs about a thousand pounds more than my 2003 F350 but it's gcwr is 3,000 more, not 1,000. The tow rating is 1200 more and the gvwr is the same. And that's between 3/4 ton and 1 ton. More beef.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote