Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2006, 04:11 PM   #1
leonard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5554
axle

I was talking to a friend tonight whose uncle has a 2005 Montana. He was telling me that his uncle had new axles installed by the local dealer at the company expense because the axles on the unit were too light and could cause an accident. Apparently, some Montana owners already had accidents because of axle failure. I am going to talk to my dealer but I would also like input from anyone who has heard anything about this. We have not taken our 2005 Montana on any long trips yet but plan to go to Anapolis Maryland in September.

Thanks, Leonard in Iowa

leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tell us more about this.Would like to have the Uncle tell us what the circumstances were???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Leonard,

I have not heard about about accidents caused by axles. But I have heard of axles bending.

when you take a trip check your tire wear at the start, during and end of the trip. If your axles are overloading you will see abnormal tire wear.

I recommened

Check tire pressure COLD at the start of your trip.
Check for abnormal tire wear.
Check your spring hanger bolts and shackles at the start and during the trip.
Torque all lug bolts at the start of the trip.
Don't exceed the GVWR of the trailer. If you do then you might get some bending and have excessive wear at the shackles.

Be aggressive on these checks!
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:48 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I too have never heard of an axle causing any kind of accident and no such accidents have ever been mentioned on this forum.
Nothing against you or your friend but I question any comment that starts with "I have a friend whose Uncle's cousin's neighbor's ex-wife's second husband said ....". I tend to like first hand information over what someone claims has happened to someone else. I also find it hard to believe that Keystone would replace axles that were too light for the load. This would be admitting a safety issue for all Keystone trailers and could open themselves for a major recall not to mention the liability issue.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:17 AM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Keystone uses the same axles as everybody else and if you overloaded a Fifth wheel to the point of axle damage you would have to be very, very, heavy. My model's axles are the lightest in the Montana line up. They are rated at 5080 each and this gives me 10160 pounds of capacity. My Fiver loaded up to 12300 pounds which is slightly over it's 12140 lb GVWR only has 9700 lb on those axles and all axles have a built in safety margin.
My utility trailer only has a 3500 pound Dexter single axle and I have hauled 5000 pounds of gravel in that trailer, not the safest thing to do, but it never hurt the axle.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:17 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Like Tom and Glenn I've never heard of an axle failure nor accident because of axles failing on a Montana. I suppose it could happen but it would surprise me. We have one of the heaviest Montanas with GVWR of 14,300 and actual scaled weight at 14,360. The weight on the axles is 11,060, well within the 12,000 combined GAWR. It's possible to overload one of the two axles, I suppose. I'd also be interested in more information. Again, it is probably possible but I've never heard of this situation. I have heard of bent axles, however. Alignment is the more common problem with trailer axles.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:27 AM   #7
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
A bad spring will also cause tire wear. If you are parked level with a straight run for a bit, you can measure the springs to see if one is longer than the others.

MoBillTuxRex&Princess
Fulltiming since '93
'04 3575; '06 2500HD Duramax/Allison
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:17 PM   #8
leonard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5554
I had the same reaction everyone else did. One of the reasons that I have not contacted the individual directly yet is that he is a deaf mute but I will try. I will also get in contact with my dealer and see what he has to say since it is the same dealer who would have inatalled the new axles on the other Montana.

Leonard in Iowa
leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Leonard. I hope you can tell we're not saying you are wrong, we're just scratching our heads a bit. Anything that has to do with safety becomes a big concern for all of us so any info you find out would be nice to hear. I also understand you may not be able to find out any more info. Thanks.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-01-2006, 05:57 AM   #10
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
This is second hand information, from a Montana owner who has friends with a Montana, and he told us the friends had the axles come loose and move back, tearing up the underside of the trailer. He didn't mention any accident connected with the incident, but obviously the friend wasn't very happy! Like I say, second hand information, no details.

Virgil and Karen
2000 3255RL
2006 F350 PSD 4x4
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:59 AM   #11
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Sunshine,

It is no doubt that Montana has had growing pains. The first models were the 99 models. The early Montanas had framing problems in the area of the Shackles and spring hangers. The problem was an 8 inch frame that was relatively unsupported except by gussets in the area of the wheels. 99-2001 models were affected with the 8 inch frame. As a result Montana recalled units to beef up the frame with Service Advisory 00-8(year2000). The frame upgrade was completed free of charge to all Montana owners with affected VIN numbers. A five year additional warranty was given on the frame. It was a great fix and great engineering. They upgraded mine even though I bought it used!!

I know of two cases that contributed to this recall. The first was a 99 Montana failed PA inspection due to stess cracking on the frame. The second was a wheel seperation issue caused by framing. I talked to both individuals.

I have urged 99-2001 owners with the 8 inch frame to contact Keystone Customer Service with their VIN number to see if their frame is affected by the service advisory. They track repairs by VIN Number.

However, this was not an axle problem.

If 99-01 owners are having these problem, it would be great to know if the Service Advisory 00-8 was performed on it. If you haven't done it, do it now.

Tom and Betty
1997 F250 PSD/AutoTranny
DIY Exaust Brake w/TC lockup
AutoMeter Tranny/EGT Gage
Translife Tranny Cooler
Superchips Towsafe
16K Draw-tite Slider
2000 Montana 2850RK
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:21 AM   #12
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Tom,

Good Post!

Rick & Wanda
2003 2500HD Crew Cab
Duramax with Allison Trans.
Firestone Airbags
Glide-Ride Pinbox - It's Great!
2006 3400RL - We Love The Trailer!

Montana Customer Service?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:52 AM   #13
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
leonard,
If you do a search for bent axles and/or spring shackles, you will find the info to be quite informative.

Weldon

Weldon and Carolyn
I.D.No. 920
2001 F-250 PSD, CC
2003 2955RL Montana
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:49 AM   #14
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Tom--great post. Very helpful info for a newbie like me to learn more about the history of the Montys.

Steve--don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but I couldn't help noticing in passing the weight numbers you provided. Guess I'm just OCD in trying to learn more about how the Montys handle weight. Your post indicated that your scaled weight is 14,360# and your axle weight is 11,060#. Does that mean your pin weight is 3,300#? And am I correct in assuming you have never had any problems with frame flex or otherwise in handling this much pin weight?

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:27 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
David, the pinweight is 3300. The truck has never had a problem with this pinweight although I use airbags to maintain level. The Montana had the frame flex problem. Keystone fixed it and there has been no recurrence of the problem. The 3295RK has, I think, the heaviest pinweight or is a very close second. And we're very heavily loaded. I hope I answered your question.

Based on a question asked during our factory tour last month, the new Montanas have the reinforcements from day one. I do not know when that started.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-05-2006, 07:48 PM   #16
gtmoseley

M.O.C. #6057
It would not surprize me to find the shackles/axle loose, I have found everything else loose: I.E. most cabinet doors, main entry door latch/handle, TV antenna crank handle. It scares me to think of what else may be loose. And all this before our first trip! Quality??? My Brother in-laws Forest River product seems to be of better quality for a lower end model. Also the Montana seems to have excess "ripple" of the exterior area where the pin box is located causing marring when using the keeper that holds the compartment door open, having to press the door upward against the ripples kind of hard just so the keeper reaches it. I have not seen this ripple on other brands. Other than that the 5ver is beautiful.

05' 2950RK Montana, 04' Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 4Dr short/bd Auto, all stock.
gtmoseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:27 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Qtmoseley, there was a period when Montana was building way too many (in my opinion) rigs per day in a single plant. We saw a rash of quality problem reports in this forum. The models affected were 2005 and 2006 although I don't think it included all of each year. They now are building fewer per plant and it seems we're hearing of far fewer initial problems with the newer ones. I hope that trend continues. In my opinion it's always a good idea to check everything and recheck periodically. Bouncing down the road also loosens things, as you know.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say excess ripple of the exterior. Are you talking about the bottom of the overhang area? It sounds like yours maybe is not properly fastened to the frame? We have no trouble latching locker doors on our 2003, which is why I'm wondering what is wrong with yours.

I hope you have the problems solved in yours by now.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #18
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
When at the factory service center I was told that there were changes made to the frames mid-way through the 04 model year.

"No matter where you go there you are"

Charlie & Nila
Fulltiming,formerly Hadley,MI
"presently in Hadley "
"2004" 3575RL
"2001" 2500HD, 8.1
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote