Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Once again 4X4 comes thru when needed..

Twice in less than a week there were two instances where a 4X4 proved it's a needed option.
First was at he NE Rally were carlson would never have backed his rig out had it not been for his 4X4.
The second was today as I was backing into a site here in Northern Vermont. After all the rain they have had the turf was very soft. The site is a bit upgrade and as was backing in the rear tires started spinning. I immediately stopped and put it in 4X4 and proceeded to back in with no further slipping.
The first photo shows the spot where the tires began to slip.

The second shows the deep tracks the Monty made. These tracks are 2 to 3 inches deep.

It is raining as I write this and on Friday when we pull out the ground will still be soft and 4X4 will again be required.

The nay sayers can tell you 4X4 is not required but it is just a matter of time when they will wish their ride said.. on it's rear quarter panel

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
4 wheel drive is the only way to go. Have needed it twice and will never be without it!
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Glenn,

I agree completely and the funny thing is, living in CO, I've never needed it here towing, but once in MN and once in WI. Both times I was on very flat but soggy ground, or ground that ended up being soggy in one case. I would never own another pickup without it and around here a pickup without it has no resale value at all.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Glenn,

Where in northern Vermont are you?

And I'll stick with our 4-WD for all the same reasons. Even if it knocks a few hundred pounds off towing capacity. Needed it when we bought our 2004, and were maneuvering it down our 250' gravel/mud driveway!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I know there are those who say they don't need it but I would not be without my 4X4. Too many times I've run into situations where the ground was soft and 2-wheel drive just didn't cut it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I wouldn't be able to pull the Monty up our gravel driveway without our 4X4.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
A couple weeks ago, we were camping at a cousin's house and needed 4WD-Low. Rain mixed with grass and mud, add a touch of an incline and any 2WD vehicle will get stuck.

I always prefer having 4WD, just as an extra safety measure....not to mention living in Western NY and being subject to Lake Effect snow in the winter.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:23 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would not trade my 4x4 for anything but another 4x4. I do not have to use it often, but sure glad it is there when I need it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:05 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gyro

Glenn,

Where in northern Vermont are you?

And I'll stick with our 4-WD for all the same reasons. Even if it knocks a few hundred pounds off towing capacity. Needed it when we bought our 2004, and were maneuvering it down our 250' gravel/mud driveway!

Steve
North of Burlington but we leave here on Friday and head into NY
Old 06-08-2006, 03:12 AM   #10
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
I personally haven't used the 4x4 cuz I don't pull the Monty (yet). But when Dano & I went to Florida to his mom's place last Thanksgiving, he backed up on an incline in sugar sand! The weight of everything left marks like Glenn's, but not one tire even thought about spinning! It was pretty cool. Glad we have the 4x4!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:23 AM   #11
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Glenn, while we camping a couple years ago one of our friends tried to leave and couldn't move. Yep, you guessed it, a tow strap hooked to my bumper hitch and we pulled it right out of the muck.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:08 AM   #12
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I agree with all the above posts and I have been driving 4x4s for the last 26 years and to me a truck is not a truck if is is not 4x4. I have seen and smelled so many people, engine screaming, cooking their auto trans, trying to back big rigs on soft ground. With low range, you can idle that puppy into any spot you want.

The funny thing about this is a few years back there was an article in one of the big trailer mags and they stated that in towing , there was no advantage to 4x4. I think a lot of people who write for these mags are writers first, RVers second.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:11 AM   #13
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I agree with the need and use of a 4X4. Generally, it will get you in and out of some slippery places and in most campgrounds a 4X4 will handle any slippery condition. That said, sometimes you can also get stuck with a 4x4 and then it's usually a serious stuck job and will take some doing to get you out! I know -I've buried mime up to its axles in a wet field. I had to get a backhoe in to pull me out.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:22 AM   #14
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine
North of Burlington but we leave here on Friday and head into NY
Glenn,

You're west of where we stayed up there. We went from Plattsburgh, NY, to Island Pond, VT, (VT's "Northeast Kingdom,") first for a week or so, and then down to Brattleboro, before going to around Boston.

Love that area. Wished the leaves were better last fall, though. But it was a pretty lousy fall for colors, all over.

Travel Safe,
Steve
Old 06-08-2006, 10:56 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steves

I agree with the need and use of a 4X4. Generally, it will get you in and out of some slippery places and in most campgrounds a 4X4 will handle any slippery condition. That said, sometimes you can also get stuck with a 4x4 and then it's usually a serious stuck job and will take some doing to get you out! I know -I've buried mime up to its axles in a wet field. I had to get a backhoe in to pull me out.
Well Steve that could very well end up being the case tomorrow. It rained nearly all last night and it is raining now with more rain forecast for tonight. The ground is already wetter than when we arrived. Tomorrow morning should prove to be very interesting. Luckily they are doing some work on a new bath house and there is a back hoe being used. And just up the road on our way to NY there is a car wash with a bay high enough to handle the Monty.

ON EDIT..This is a track I made this AM. Needless to say 4X4 was again required. That track was made with an empty truck with no Monty attached.

Can't imagine how far I may sink with the Monty hanging on the back.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #16
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
And on the other side of the coin, I'd not own one to pull our 5er. Our first TV for our 2955RL was a 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins LB that pulled it 50,000 + miles and never needed 4WD. The truck in my profile has 13500 miles and still no need for 4X4. I can't see sacrificing turning radius, ride quality, weight and cost for something I MAY need 2 years down the road, and I'd NEVER tell anyone NOT to get one. We live in snow country but we have a car that will do for that around here. I will say that had I not had limited slip differential, I'd have been stuck a couple times. Just my .02 worth.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #17
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Glenn, look forward to hearing how you get out tomorrow!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #18
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine...
ON EDIT..This is a track I made this AM. Needless to say 4X4 was again required. That track was made with an empty truck with no Monty attached.

Glenn,

Are you having to replace those divots?

Steve
Old 06-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gyro

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine...

Glenn,

Are you having to replace those divots?

Steve
Yeah right. Gonna make some real divots tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #20
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
ROTFL!

)