Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Auxillary fuel tank

I was wondering if anyone out there has an auxillary fuel tank? I checked with transfer flow, but they do not make the tank I need. I have a hard back cover on my truck bed that rolls up in the front only leaving me with 11 inches of clearence from the bed floor. The other choice is the replacement tank midship for $1300 installed. If anyone has one I would like to know the best choice.

gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
gitrdun,
I looked into having a transfer flow fuel tank installed in the bed of my truck. I do not have a cover on my bed, so it did not matter what tank I went with. There is a guy in my marina who had the replacement tank installed in his Ford, so far he has been very happy with it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Don't forget to consider the implications of the weight increase you'll be adding to the TV [7 to 7.3 lbs/gal plus weight of tank].

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
gitrdun
Don't pass on the idea of having a custom tank welded up. There are a lot of aluminum welders that will do this. You can have every shape you want. We have a relative that had a tank built in north central Michigan and the cost was actually less than the commercial units.

Also, Northern Tool company sells a gravity feed fuel transfer valve that looks very intriquing.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:53 AM   #5
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
I was looking at the northern tanks too.I like the 60 gal. that has the tool box on top and the tank below, Sure would be nice to have the range with out having to stop for fuel, And being able to fill up when you find a good price.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:18 AM   #6
keepontruckin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2484
Send a message via MSN to keepontruckin
Gitrdun,

I replaced the stock 26 gallon tank with a transfer flow 45 gal tank on my 2005 Chev HD2500. This allowed additional capacity without the tank in the bed of the truck. The fuel guages work OK, however, when the low fuel light indicators start their signaling, you have about 7 gallons remaining. I will have to verify my receipt but I believe I had about $750 invested.
keepontruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:36 AM   #7
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Ken had the replacement tank in his chevy. He said so far so good. He had one problem with it but they fixed it right away. I would like to have one also but will wait a while longer till they get more expensive.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:17 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
keepontruckin,
How long ago did you have your 45 gal tank installed? I would love to have that kind of fuel onboard. At 20 mpg that would give a fella a range of almost 900 miles. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:20 AM   #9
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
This is a subject near and dear to my heart. Fuel stops are just about my least favorite part of any trip. Have to make too many of them with the 26 gallon tank on my Ford.

A fellow camper showed me a poor man's version this past winter. He just found a used "poly" tank from a junk vehicle, cleaned it out and was using that for extra capacity. Somehow he plumbed it in directly so that it would self feed as the fuel was used from his primary tank.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe he said he plumbed it to the "overflow return", if that makes any sense. I now wish I'd taken a closer look at his installation.

I carry an aluminum toolbox already and hate to replace it 'cause it's in good shape. There is considerable "waste space" under the toolbox though.
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:28 AM   #10
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
BTW. I checked out the Transfer flow tanks and the model they list for my application is aluminized steel. Living in the rust belt here, and spending the winters camped in salt air, I'd really prefer a "poly" tank if I can find one.

I've never had a problem with a poly tank, but have had to replace a couple steel tanks as my vehicles age.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:02 AM   #11
Montana_5700

M.O.C. #5700
With our V10 and our only 9.3mpg (lol) we added a 100 gal. tranfer tank in our bed, but had to do away with our roll & lock :-(
Montana_5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:11 AM   #12
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I put a 50 gal. aux. tank in front of my tool box. I got a permanent poly boat tank on ebay, put all the hoses on, made a panel next to the tank, got a 12v. pump from Pep Boys, fuel guage, cutoff switch. I have not connected it to the fuel filler hose yet, that is the next process. I wanted something I could take out when not traveling.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:16 AM   #13
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Have seen (but now can't find using Google) listings for 'under tool box fuel tanks - up to 30 gallons as memory serves. Now, another item - I was looking at putting one in my truck (live in Kansas) and was told that if aux tank is in bed of truck then it must be steel (not poly -- (umm) plastic). Also, can not be plumbed directly into main tank unless fed by fuel pump (no gravity feeds) as that could result in a major fuel spill if lower cap loosens in accident (or kids playing as the examiner mentioned). Still looking for site that had the 'under tool box' tank.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:40 AM   #14
ldunning
Established Member

M.O.C. #5692
I have a 50 gallon fuel tank/tool box in my truck that is flush with the top of the bed. I installed it about 6 years ago and it has worked well. It is plumbed to fill the main tank by gravity. The connection from the bottom of the tank goes directly to a fitting I installed in the filler neck. I did have to install an additional fitting in the bottom of the tank and cut a 1" hole on the bed.
ldunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:47 AM   #15
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I've been looking at these. My concern is; "How much ground clearence might I lose?" Their info says it uses the OEM mounting hardware.

http://www.supertanks.com/ford.html
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:14 AM   #16
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sweetfire

I've been looking at these. My concern is; "How much ground clearance might I lose?" Their info says it uses the OEM mounting hardware.

http://www.supertanks.com/ford.html
Dennis;

By looking at the pics I'd have to say you wouldn't loose much. Your drive shaft and rear differential would both be lower than the bottom of the tank.

BTW thanks for the link. They look like quality tanks.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #17
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
There's only one problem. In California it is illegal to use a gravity type tank. The auxillary tank must be plumbed to the engine. Therefor using a selonoid valve and switch. If not for this I would use the gravity feed which is cheaper and work just as well, diverting fuel into the neck of the filler. As for weight I would only use a 20 not more than 30 gal tank. Can you imagine filling a 60 gal tank? I would have to float a loan.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:02 PM   #18
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I have a 91 gal diamond plate fuel tank-tool box combo from Northern Supply. The tank is made by RDS in Perry, FL. The top of the combo unit is even with the top of my pickup box. I opted for the on tank 12 volt pump with the auto shut off nozzle.I did this so I could install a spin on dirt and water filter.I feel beter knowing my fuel is filtered, than haveing a direct flow into my truck tank.This also gives me a way of pumping most of the fuel out of the tank if I have to. The tool box is shorter in length than the tank,which gave me about 8 inches in height to mount the pump on the tank. All of this clears my 5vr on a turn. I did this because I have been in some real tight fuel stops,and some fuel stops that the price of diesel is a shock.I am still lucky,diesel by me at one station has been at $2.72 for two months.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #19
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Sky Pilot found your site tank and truck. Found on MSN search.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:10 PM   #20
tpbuck1

M.O.C. #3075
gitrdun,
Try this tank from American Tank http://www.auxtank.com/auxtank/searchDetail.asp
It's a 60 gallon combo made for use with a rolltop cover - rather expensive but may fit your needs. It's listed for a Ford but they should have one for a Chevy. I don't have any personal experience with this tank as I went the less expensive route with the Northern Tool 91 gallon combo. I did a little research and found a company that manufactures a wiring harness along with a 6 way switching valve that allowed me to plumb my tank in like it is factory with a switch on the dash plus it uses the factory fuel level gauge. Except for the shock of how much it costs to fill up both tanks - stock and auxiliary = 130 gallons = $350.00(+) I do like the 1500 mile range while towing which allows me to choose when and where I fill up.
tpbuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote