Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2005, 06:37 AM   #1
Montana_4027
Established Member

M.O.C. #4027
Dodge truck information

We are considering buying a new Dodge 3500. We will get a fully equiped one: Diesel, 4 dr, 4x4, nav, etc.
I've seen several on the road, but not talked directly to the owners. I would really like to hear about how his truck performs with a 5er in tow. I am conserned about the trans and my wife about comfort. I want plenty of truck and I like the Cummins.
All the discusions here are about Ford & GM..... but I know you Dodge guys are out there...!

Montana_4027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 12:24 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
cadanny,
I tow with the Dodge and like it very much. If I did it again I would now get the automatic. In 03 they came out with a newer auto, RE48, that can handle the Cummins torque. I got the six speed because I did not trust it yet. My druthers is the Cummins and the Alison but that has not happened in pickups. It is there on the larger Fords but again these are into the class 4,5,6 truck range. Saw it in the Jerr Dan car hauler.
The Dodge seems to ride ok for a truck. I run my tires at 80 pounds and still when empty it seems to do ok. Not to bad a ride. The teeth are not jarred too much.
My suggest there is take one for a ride and put in on some back country roads. No question it will pull. I do have the exhaust brake and will have it or something comparable like the Ford tow command. It works great on the hills. That may still be a problem, getting an Auto that works with exhaust brake and still staying in factory warranty. There are after market out there for auto and exhaust brakes but that still voids the warranty.
One little Cummins plug, remember there are less cylinders so less moving parts. lol. I still have fun telling people it is only a six cylinder. Just big pistons.
Try all three and see which one you like.
One good mistake I made was buying the luxury package. I bought off the lot. If I had ordered it I would have cut some dollars but now I am glad I did not and leaned that since this is our primary vehicle when on the road it has to be the Cadillac also. Got the extras and enjoy them.

Good luck and safe towing.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We have the 04.5 SLT, 330hp, 600# torque. It pulls good, plenty of power, the ride is very good and it's pretty quite inside. We got it off the lot and it didn't have some of the things I like, mainly the auto dim rear view mirror.
My frau says she is short and her feet can touch the floor without the edge of the seat cutting into the back of her knees. The back seat is reasonably comfortable. The 06 with the 48RE auto is supposed to be ok with the jake brake.
I visit these 2 sites to get user viewpoints.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...a8c85716e53307
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...s=&forumid=127

The paint is pretty thin on our year model and you should be choosy about the hitch installation because of the frame requirements.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:34 AM   #4
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Cadanny: You can see by my profile what we're using. We traded a '01 Dodge 2500 Cummins for it in May and just got back off an 8100 mile trip to the west coast and other places including Trailridge Road (Elev. 12183') with the Monty and up Pike's Peak without. The '01 was a Laramie SLT we got used. This one is an SLT. This one we ordered to get it exactly as we wanted it. The new ones have a 7 year/70,000 mile warranty on drive line so I am fairly comfortable with the tranny. Our overall mileage this trip was 11.5 which isn't too bad since the truck only had 600 miles on it when we left. I think you'll find a properly set up 2500 will pull just about anything Montana has. If I were to go to a 3500, it would be SRW. The dually will only pull a few hundred pounds more than the 2500 and there are places where duallies won't fit. Just my take on things.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:14 AM   #5
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
We traded up from a 96 V10 to the 05 diesel. Tows great! Donna says it's almost as comfortable as the car and is very quiet both engine and road noise and very tight no rattles. I ours is the SLT quadcab SRW with the 3.73 and auto.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #6
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
I love my Ram 3500. Bought one of the first HO automatic trans off the production line in Feb '03 - it was a gamble, but it was just what I wanted, and I haven't been sorry. I now have over 45,000 miles on it, most of them towing.

Like Bob, I chose the Ram because of the Cummins diesel engine. I also agree with him about the SRW. Had to order it that way, with 4x4 which usually comes as a dually. Can't go through car washes with duals, and it's hard to park in some lots/downtowns, etc. I'm a full-timer, so it's my only vehicle. The ride is plenty comfy, towing or not.

I recommend a MorRyde kingpin, which I have (or TrailAir, or other), to help smooth out the ride while towing. I also have the MorRyde independent suspension system and hydraulic disc brakes. I don't feel the need for an engine brake, as long as I have the trailer brake controller (Prodigy) adjusted correctly.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:07 AM   #7
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
cadanny,
This past April we traded our 1999 Chevy CK3500 in for a 2005 2500HD Dodge CTD 610 Crew Cab Longbed Automatic and let me tell you it is as different as night and day from the old truck. We tow a 327RKS TT with it and it's like there isnt anything even back there. When towing we are getting between 12 and 14 mpg at 70 mph. Around town and solo we are getting between 18 and 24 mpg. It has more tow capacity than the older 3500 truck had and a ton more GUT POWER. It's very comfortable going down the road. We have 10K miles on it now (picked it up new with 15 miles on it). The cab is very quite, the Cummins TD engine is OUTSTANDING as far as power and torque goes and as of now I dont plan on any other truck for a long time. What sold us was the test drive. I was very impressed with everything about the truck. There are a few things that could be better like more storage compartments inside the cab but overall it's one heck of a truck. Not to say that the other brands aren't any good (they all have good trucks), we test drove all of them and it came down to the best deal for what we wanted and needed. Go test drive one.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:06 AM   #8
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We have an '04 2500 quad cab short bed with the Cummins diesel and so far it tows our 2955RL 5er very nicely. We have only taken three relatively short trips with it in the New England hills but it has performed well. We've had the truck for over a year but picked up our first fifth wheel this Spring. Its a truck and rides like a truck but I've heard people comment on how roomy it is and how quiet it runs. We've been getting about 12 mpg on calm days (no headwind)with the trailer attached and better than 18 mpg unloaded. We have our first 400+ mile trip coming up next week into the NY hills so I'll get a better feel for it then.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:11 PM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Danny, we've spent the last couple of days testing our Dodge Ram in the mountains of Montana and Yellowstone National Park. We have been very pleased with its towing ability. We added the TrailAir Hitch last month and have enjoyed the smoother ride. The ride is very comfortable. We like having the dual rear wheels as we feel the ride is more stable, especially in the wind. I think it's a good choice, either way.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:31 PM   #10
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Just a general observation; It seems like more Dodges towing now than ever before. I had a 96 V-10 and loved that truck. The truck pulled great but the tranny couldn't handle it. The V-10 was a good motor. I got about 15 solo and about 10 towing. In '01 I got a Cummings because I couldn't get a V-10. The Cummings is a great motor and since they have quietened them and up'd the power a bit, I am sure that will be my next one. I am also glad that Dodge introduced the 3.7 gearing since mine. 3.54 to 4.10 is a pretty big spread. It is nice to have an in between. I know mine is the older style cab, but I was impressed with the low road noise on both units.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 03:50 PM   #11
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Cummins is Cummins - not alot more needs saying. I think Dodge now has the truck to match it. No issues with the new 48RE auto tranny, although DC is now developing a 6 speed auto. Personally, I'm a stick fan, just like putting it in what gear I want, not a computer. JMHO.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 08:13 PM   #12
Montana_984
Established Member

M.O.C. #984
We have a new 2005 3500 SRW Laramie, leather, GPS the works. Because of trans failure with our 2001 2500 i decided to go with the 6 speed standard trans and 4:11 gears because of the weight of the 3400 (13,700GVW) towing the trailer it is great but over 60 MPH the RPM is over 2000 to cure this problem we went to Gear Vendors in El Cajon, Ca. who installed one of their overdrive units now we have the best of both worlds low gearing to get the load moving and ten foreward gears you can split 3rd 4th 5th & 6th. We also have the Banks 6 gun speed loader & Big Hoss Bundle. In hind sight the 10 foreward gears with 325 H.P. & 610 ft # of tourque would be plenty and keep your Dodge warranty in tact. If you prefer an automatic the Banks people have told me that they have had one of the N48 units for over a year they have been trying to break it and they can't. Good news for those who don't like to or can't shift gears! I like palebluedot like to choose my gear & RPM myself now we cruise at 75 MPH @ 1800 RPM. We have a gear & RPM for every occasion. You can also put the O.D. unit behind an automatic.
Montana_984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:46 AM   #13
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
My truck is the 3500 dually quad cab, long bed with Cummings. It has the power to pull anything Montana makes and the dual wheels add to the side sway stability. I have a 348 RLS Mountaineer and love it. Don't see the need for any aftermarket gimicks if you get the tow package from Dodge.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:51 PM   #14
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I'm happy with my '01 3500 Cummins dully. I wanted a Cummins. I wanted the Allison too! But that was not to be. I have not towed in Mountains, just Florida flat lands, but I am happy with the way LadyRam and Miss Montana work together.

The only angst I had was about the dull tires. I have no regrets. I am so happy I have them for the stability. I have not found parking to be a problem. But I don't mind walking so I park where she fits and walk.

I have one of the noisy ones!
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #15
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
fla native,
"I have one of the noisy ones."
A safety feature - all the kids get out of the streets when they hear you coming. Last of the REAL trucks. LOL
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:32 PM   #16
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
All I have to say is the dodge is great, nice ride, great power. As most people wioth trucks know, snow plowing kills your tranny, well, I plow with my truck in the winter and pull my monty in the summer with it, and have NO tranny issues what so ever, and believe me, my truck earns its keep during the winter months.
Highly recommended. I drive a ford at work, does not have the power, torque, and is louder than the Dodge. I am on my third DOdge, my firt diesel though, and have never had any major problems with any if them. Your hear talk about the tranny's, but let me tell you, I dont see it, and I can tell you that Chevy and Ford's have just as many problems as any other truck. Drive them all and see what you are happy with. Anyone who knows diesels, includign mechinacs, all told me that Cummins is the best engine out there.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:35 AM   #17
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I had some concerns about the transmission when I bought my 2004 3500 Diesel dually.
I talked to the service Tech that I trust and he said he had not be in a transmission since the 2003's came out.
I have a friend who tows cattle and horse trailers and with over 250,000 miles on his 2004 he has never had it in the shop.
I had a little shock when I learned it took 12 quarts of oil for an oil change.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:40 PM   #18
Montana_339

M.O.C. #339
See our signature. We are quite pleased with our rig and no problems. Recommend the truck. Also like the Jake Brake for our eastern mountains (hills to you folks out West, I guess ).

Good Luck!
Montana_339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:20 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stuart, we've towed over mountains west and mountains east and, believe me, you have some grades in the east that are just as steep as those in the west. The ones in the west just tend to be longer, maybe 20 miles long instead of 4 miles! In fact, I've seen more 8% grades in the east than I have in the west.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #20

M.O.C. #5733
Alright Dodge folks...I'm a newbie & need your Dodge-specific hitch advice.

I just picked up my '06 3500 Dually Megacab yesterday, picking up my '05 2955RL next week. I'm very excited things are finally coming together, but now choosing a hitch is turning out harder (and more expensive) than expected.

I'm looking at the Pullrite after reading so many horror stories of rigs kissing cabs. But the rep at Pullrite says many people with Dodge short boxes choose the 24K, regardless of weight needs, because it has a longer slide path than the 16K (18" on 24K vs. 14" on 16K). She says this is a common issue for Dodge tv's.

Apparently, the 16K requires the pin to be 2" in front of the cone, whereas the 24K can accomodate a pin up to 4" under the cone. I don't think the pin is out that far on the 2955RL.

Anybody out there have any experience with the SuperGlide in a Dodge? I'd rather not tote the extra 100 lbs (and $1000 bucks) to get a 24K if I don't have to.

Most gracious for your help!

2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins Dually Megacab
2005 Montana 2955 RL
Mor/ryde pin box
213007237 is offline   Reply With Quote