Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #21
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I'm thinking you're gonna boondock a bit. I would try to get Robbie Simmons (Simmonsrf) GPS for a little while and copy the way-points he has in it. They sure know some cool (like in fun) places.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim and Sue, we are truly happy for you two! I do hope you'll be around long enough for us to get together. We'll be back in the area before too long.

As for where to go... Wow, there are so many places it will take you years to see them all. May I suggest you click my link below, the Our RV Travels, then click each year in turn and just scroll down the left side until you find something of interest. Ignore the month and date... that's when the postcards were created, not when we were there.

If you want jaw-dropping beauty, might I suggest Glacier National Park in Montana. Or, if you want to start closer, then Rocky Mountain National Park, starting at Estes Park, CO. But Glacier is unbelievably beautiful.

One of my personal favorites is the Great Smokey Mountains National Park on the border between Tennessee and North Carolina. We originally planned a month there but ended up staying seven weeks.

So many great places to see, Jim. About six years ago we completed eight years of traveling and we still have so much to see.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #23
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
Ozz
Beautiful North Idaho..... Coeur d Alene,I90 runs right thur it.Go to my web site look around (www.skerealtygroup.com)come on over I`ll take you for boat ride on one of the most beautiful lakes in the WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!

Send me a pm if would like....

David
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #24
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Nice David!, if we get that far North, I will give you a call. Looks like a beautiful area.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, when you do go NW, there is SO much to see I hope you allow lots of time. We did that trip last year, starting from southern California in late April, worked our way up the coast of CA, OR, WA, then went inland and worked our way back down those states. We also got to the Lake Siskiyou and Seven Feathers rallies in that time. Anyhow, in late October we headed back east to see the kids in the KC area. So, it took us 6 months. And we still want to go back and see more. It took us four weeks just on the Oregon coast. Four places, one week each. So don't get in a hurry!
Old 05-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
This trip out will be a leisurely journey to nowhere, our first destination will be to the area around Estes Park, based on a suggestion here. That gives me a direction to point to. Kansas is a nice state, but one I will not spend much time in. I think it would be fun to catch a farm sale on the way through.
I have been saying good-bye to my customers, a few have begged me not to go, I must be really low in my pricing
Old 05-07-2011, 03:28 AM   #27
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Ozz, Glacier National Park is spectacular. We've been there several times in the last few years (taking company to see the sights). I will warn you, however, that trafficfrom June through mid-August on the Going to the Sun road is frequently bumper-to-bumper, literally. The bright side of that situation is that you are going so slowly that you can get excellent photos of the wildlife--lots of it. And you can get a good look at the scenery.

I highly recommend the Bear Tooth Highway, too, which is close to Yellowstone National Park. The scenery is breathtaking (so is the highway): http://www.beartoothhighway.com/

Steve and Vicki, any chance your travels will take you to Seven Feathers for the rally in early June?

Ozz, we only had three weeks to spend on the Oregon coast when we were out that way two years ago, but we could easily have spent 2 months there. So much to do, so many beautiful sights--one of our best trips ever.

Planning is fun, isn't it!

Wayne & Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:34 AM   #28
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Ozz, first, congratulations on paying attention to your "hitch itch"!

Last year we drove the Coastal Highway (combo of Hwy 1 & 101) from San Francisco into Elma, Washington! Amazing! Of course, if you do not want to see Pacific Ocean, eat fresh fish, stay cool, jaw-dropping scenery then I would NOT recommend this route!!!

After leaving Washington on I-90, we went to Mount Rushmore, then headed north to No. Dakota to Hwy 2 across MN, WI,Upper MI(Ste St. Marie) & crossed Mackinack/Macinaw Bridge on Labor Day!) We were "cool" all the time!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carolyn, I'm afraid not. We're eastward-bound, arriving in Kansas near the kids and grandkids later this month.

Myna, I recall we spent some time at Elma with you and Bob when we crossed paths last year!

Jim, I absolutely agree with Carolyn. But we were there from July 14 to August 14 of 2005. There was traffic but it was not unbearable. And the stunning beauty of that park is beyond compare. I would not recommend you go there before July or after August unless you happen to like snow.

These pictures are at reduced quality (50%) to keep filesize low.

Sorry so many pictures! I actually cut down on the number I wanted to post. In case you can't tell, Glacier NP is one of our very favorite places. We truly enjoyed our month there. Email me if you go up there and I'll clue you to where to get some outstanding pie and another places with really good burgers.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #30
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wow! Thanks for the tips folks. I am excited to get on the road.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
By the way, Jim, that bridge in the 3rd picture, that's on Going to the Sun Road, as are most of these pictures. Besides the mountain goat, we have a picture of a bighorn sheep running away from us. Vicki and I were sitting on this wall on Going to the Sun Road, enjoying a waterfall, when I looked at Vicki to my left and saw this bighorn sheep standing on top of the wall, maybe five feet from her, staring at us. I was speechless and just nudged Vicki and pointed. By the time she got the camera turned on he had decided to vacate.

and, last, this one we took in Waterton Lakes National Park, which borders Glacier but is in Canada.

ok, I'm done with the pictures. Sorry, everyone.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #32
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Love the pictures!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #33
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Steve, thanks for the pictures!! We were at Glacier Nat'l last year in August. Lots of beautiful scenery and wildlife, though not as much as we thought there would be. Guess we were spoiled by going to Yellowstone the year before. Every place that Don recommended is fantastic wish I was able to take off time and head out on the road. I am extremely jealous of all of you out there, but I will keep on working so you get your SS checks on time. Ha Ha

Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #34
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I am heading to Glacier next month. I will be coming from the east through Three Forks and plan on taking 287 north to Helena and on to Mountain Meadows for a couple of weeks. Has anyone pulled the Monty that way or should I go north from Missoula?
Thanks Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #35
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Can't answer that question for you , but if you are in Missoula on a weekend make sure to take in the Farmers Market that is downtown by the train station. We were there 2 years ago in July and there were some vendors selling some fantastic produce and baked goods!!
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #36
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We came from the west through Spokane on 90, north on 15 to Mountain Meadows. Came back on 2 through Bonners Ferry and Sandpoint. No problems there at all. Beautiful country this our pacific northwest, and don't forget Super Natural Beautiful British Columbia!

The picture is our site at Mountain Meadows.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #37
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, this is in western Kansas, 30 miles south of Oakley, on your way to Estes Park. It's Monument Rocks.

May I suggest you forget I-70 and take a more laid back and enjoyable route, like maybe US 36 across Kansas and Colorado? We've taken that road all the way across Kansas and enjoyed it far more than I-70. That was a few years ago but the road was excellent at that time.

We just crossed Kansas from west to east on a state highway from the Colorado border to Great Bend. That was K-96. Then US 56 until we picked up I-135 at McPherson and I-70 at Salina.

You might consider trying US highways and see if you don't enjoy the travel days a lot more. We sure do.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #38
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We may try that, I was always worried about fuel and low bridges. I took the Dome sat. off, the Slimline is mounted back where the roof slopes down, so I am not 13' 6" anymore. We will be in no hurry when we hit the road.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:04 AM   #39
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
The journey-not the destination so much.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote