Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2007, 04:22 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
If your deaf like me..................

From the sound of things ( no pun intended ) I am not the only person on this forum with a hearing loss. 40 years in the pulp and paper industry and ear infections as a child have taken their toll. I wear a small, in the canal, digital hearing aid in my right ear and the difference this has made is incredible. I have no health plan that covers hearing aids so I bought mine at Costco. Only some Costcos have the hearing aid centres and they offer good service and you can try one of these out for 30 days absolutely free. If you get a good mould made, you wear these things with no discomfort at all. A bad mould will make your ear sore after several hours. Don't keep a hearing aid that hurts. I have had three in the last 8 years and they keep getting better.
I thought I would pass on my satisfaction with Costco hearing aids.
Workman's compensation board would never use a supplier that offered good prices so most of the people that use Costco are paying for their own aids and they can be as much as 50% cheaper than the main hearing aid suppliers.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Thanks for the information. We have a couple of Costcos in the area but not sure if they have the hearing aids. We'll have to check it out.

We have insurance coverage for our glasses but Costco is much cheaper than using the insurance.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good information, I was told by the V.A.'s hearing personnel that my type of hearing loss would not benefit from a hearing aid, I would imagine there are numerous types of damage to the ear. I am glad that you have found that this worked for you.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Jim
I was told the same thing and yet I know if the TV is up really loud, I can hear it in my bad ear, so I wonder????????
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
After reading this again and remembering some previous threads, I'm sitting here laughing. I can laugh at all of you 'cause I'm in the same boat. I'm imagining a get together and we are all saying "Huh, I didn't hear you." LOL Maybe we should invest in loud speakers for the rallys. BTW sit on my right side and then I hear you.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
If you notice a benefit in turning up the volume on a television or radio, you will be helped by a hearing aid. A modern hearing aid can help you hear better but the longer you have been deaf, the harder it is to get used to hearing noises that you have not heard for years. When I first put in my first hearing aid, the tech told me to walk around the Costco for a while to see what it felt like. The noise of the shopping cart wheels was incredible and almost scary. It is said that if a rain forest native was to be placed on a street corner of a busy city, the noise would put him into shock. I can believe that. The brain gets used to a quiet world real fast and does not like this new bombardment of sound. I have also heard that hearing aids can be programmed to make a "white sound" that can bring relief to ringing in the ears. My newest aid has 4 different programs I can set by touching the tiny little button on the aid.
My advise, go to a Costco, try it free, and hear what you have been missing.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Steve has been deaf, about 83% in each ear, since age five due to meningitis. He has worn hearing aids ever since. We have been through a set or two of aids since then....
Get digital hearing aids. They will be programmed to your specific hearing loss. You should be hooked up to a computer and you rate sounds according to how well (or not)that you hear a certain sound. With technology the way it is, each new pair steve gets allows him to hear better. Bad part is; he's getting lazy with his lip reading. Used to be I would have to look at him for him to "hear" and understand. Now he can hear me from the next room.
Phonak, Resound...there are many good brands out there. Make sure you have a good audiologist. We have been with the same one over 20 years now....
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:30 AM   #8
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Wrenchtraveller,
I can believe the story of a rainforest native going to a city.
It was the summer before my freshman year, and a small group of us
from my church, backpacked in the Colorado Rockies for 2 weeks.
No sign of civilazation anywhere. We went from Allenspark to Eldora.
It was a beautiful adventure.
When we arrived back down into Boulder, the noise was so loud!
We all wanted to go back to the high country!
It didn't take to long to get adjusted to the noise again,
but I'll never forget the sounds of silence.
Lisa

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote